Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First what I have on the SF is a Speedymoto pressure plate with sm bolts and springs. And a sm open/vented clutch cover. Yesterday I was on a group ride with some slower riders taking it easy. We are talking 30 mph speeds, yeah it was killing me! When I heard and felt that grinding metal sound. I stop asap and when I looked at the clutch the clutch cover was torn up. Two of the bolts/springs where gone, and my day was ruined! The sm parts where installed by my Ducati shop just last month! I got 14k miles out of the ugly stock parts!

I work with wood so I have no ideal if this is their fault, or mine. No one told me to check the bolts? Everything was working fine till it popped. If my shop tells me that I'm screwed I will find another shop.

I'm looking for any feed back on the clutch failing like it did.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Those bolts are torqued down pretty lightly like 14nm if I remember correctly. it is the springs that supply resistance for them to come out, unusual but not unheard of.

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
They should not need to be retorqued if they were properly installed. They must have forgotten to tighten them.

But your clutch did not blow up. Somebody simply failed to install something correctly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
They should not need to be retorqued if they were properly installed. They must have forgotten to tighten them.

But your clutch did not blow up. Somebody simply failed to install something correctly.
this.

The bolts are torqued to 8 nm which is basically a quarter turn past contact... this is with them applying oil to the bolts vs loctite so the torque readings are legit.

Seems that two of your bolts backed out... not much you can do about it but for you now you ride with 4 springs instead of 6... you just need to change up the bolts so the two that are missing are opposite each other. This will make the clutch pull a lot lighter as a side effect, it's an old trick for duc dry clutchs to make it a bit easier to handle.

Not sure if your dealer will take responsibility on this though... they can easily say its "just one of those things that happen". Also a good reason to do the easy installation stuff on your own so you can verify your own work.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If it were me I would not be taking the hit on this without an indisputable reason why it was my fault and not theirs.

Pressure plate bolts, if properly installed, should not back out in a months' time. They should be secure at least through a normal service interval of 7500 miles.

If you supplied the wrong components, or had them install it a certain way against the techs recommendations then it's on you...otherwise the only option as I see it is for them to try to recoup the money from the clutch manufacturer and fix your bike in the meantime.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ I have not checked, but the shop mech said thats most likely what happened (Broken bosses). The shop also said it's their bad, and will replace all parts. I was upset because I didn't need these parts, they just looked hell cool on the bike. Will post next week when the shop gets bike and lets me know what did happen. Will also include a before and after pix.

Thanks for input,

j

·
Registered
549 Posts
It's good that they're taking ownership for it. Definitely the right thing to do.

^^^ I have not checked, but the shop mech said thats most likely what happened (Broken bosses). The shop also said it's their bad, and will replace all parts. I was upset because I didn't need these parts, they just looked hell cool on the bike. Will post next week when the shop gets bike and lets me know what did happen. Will also include a before and after pix.

Thanks for input,

j

1 - 8 of 8 Posts