Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did what every responsible irresponsible parent would do and went and bought gear for my 7 year old son and strapped him on the back of my bike for the first time. He absolutely loved it! Buying an intercom system was the best thing to have. We actually had an awesome conversation. It's amazing what they share when they have nothing better to do than sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. No Nintendo, no TV!

Anyone else took their young one on a ride?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Sounds like good times. Glad the little man enjoyed himself. Hope the boss enjoyed it as much as the guys did?

·
Registered
406 Posts
You created something he will remember the rest of his life. Well done.

By the way, I'm saving the pix of him in his protective gear. Next time one of my buddies shows up on his cruiser sans helmet and jacket, I'm sending him the pix, with the caption:

"Are you smarter than a seven year old????"

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Better hide the keys on him!!!

How was Moms reaction?
You don't have to answer that...

One of my better memories is when Daughter and I were riding and some birds decided to fly along side us for quite some time, the birds kept the same elevation up and down the hills...
TRUE enjoyment for the little ones...

Good stuff DAD!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tell your son...

… that we all think he looks awesome in that gear. You've done such a great think introducing him to our sport in a sane, responsible way. Good work Dad.

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Great to see this! I just started taking my daughter Ivy this year (she's 8). We even went to MotoGP this year. Trailered the biked down and then rode into the track each day. We went last year too but as we were leaving the track she said "dad I want to come back next year but on a motorcycle". So we did.

A couple of things that have helped. I got these passenger handles: motorcycle passenger belt They are really well made, and this way she doesn't need to reach around me to hold on. They put the grips in a really comfortable place for her.

The second big thing that helped was getting bluetooth for both of us. Okay more for me, so I can check that she is doing fine. We use Sena SMH-10's. I like being able to talk to her, and it has been a very effective safety feature since I can tell her what we will be doing. There is a downside though. She sings Katie Perry songs to me.

It is awesome (and scary, lot's of responsibility). Enjoy!

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Typing too fast while watching F1 - you have the intercom covered, and looks like you might have the belt as well. Finding armored kids stuff is so tough. Which jacket is that? The armored pants Ivy has are from Cyclegear, BTW.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Cool-
I've been taking my daughter for rides for about a year now (she's 6). I noticed you had, and 8lives mentioned, the riders belt. That's a good piece of kit.
I picked the kid up from school one day and driving home I noticed her helmet hitting me in the back more often than it should. When we got off the bike, I asked her 'did you fall asleep?'.
'uh, kinda'
I pick her up in my bike with sidecar now.
This picture is kind of staged, she actually wears better pants.

Her cuteness more than makes up for my lack thereof.

Nothing on the MTS- she can't reach the foot pegs yet!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, I did buy the belt which is a huge help to help him hang on and the intercom is truly great to keep in touch while riding. I'm thinking about buying the top case to give him a backrest just in case.

I'm kind of surprised with all the kids falling asleep on the bikes, you guys either take them super far or your kids are super tired. Mine don't even nap in the car any more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
you guys are creating memories that your kids will treasure for ever - I know, my late Dad use to do the very same thing you guys are.

I guess kids are a bit more fortunate these days, as the bikes tend to be a bit more comfortable. My Dad use to strap a pillow on the back guard of his rigid rear 650 Thunderbird, sit me on the pillow and we'd go for a run up the Hume Hwy for 60 odd mile before turning around.... I'd always come home with insects on the teeth :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Beautiful!

Cool-
I've been taking my daughter for rides for about a year now (she's 6). I noticed you had, and 8lives mentioned, the riders belt. That's a good piece of kit.
I picked the kid up from school one day and driving home I noticed her helmet hitting me in the back more often than it should. When we got off the bike, I asked her 'did you fall asleep?'.
'uh, kinda'
I pick her up in my bike with sidecar now.
This picture is kind of staged, she actually wears better pants.

Her cuteness more than makes up for my lack thereof.

Nothing on the MTS- she can't reach the foot pegs yet!

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
great thread. After some initial frustration and fiddling, the Scala G9 powerset has become one of my best purchases, have enjoyed conversations with wife, 14-y/o daughter and 18-y/o son on numerous rides. I'm mostly responsible with my own hide (when it's really hot I skip the mesh jacket) but always responsible with my family's and insist they wear proper footwear and armored gear.

I too was startled one ride by a loud clunk on my helmet, wife admitted she had nodded off - on the Kancamagus no less! Think I need seatbelts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Really cool pictures. I have no kids of my own, but friends of mine do have a few young ones, one them is a boy of 7/8 years old. I was visiting them the other day on my MTS, and of course the little boy was impressed with the bike, and wanted to sit on it etc. Also with me sitting on it, and he as a passenger, turn on the engine, rev it a little bit, he loved it.

Now one of the parents said, dude, take him for a ride around the block... and I said no, rather not. What if something would happen, what can a small 8 year old do to hold on, to protect himself. It would be my biggest nightmare if something would happen. I wouldn't even feel comfortable riding around with a young kid I guess. Don't you guys have that? Sure, be careful, but still.

Maybe when they're 12+ years old, I'll give it a go.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
I used to set my Daughter in front of me on the H-D she loved it ..
She nodded off "sort of" on the back ...

I took her to school and picked her up many times...
Kids at that age are soft and bounce:rolleyes: if they fall off.

When we were dirt biking and when she fell down or off , and tears would flow . I would say where is the blood?
No Blood well then you can't cry unless there is blood...

As Always pick and choose where and when to give them a ride...
A REAL ADVENTURE for them at a young age...
Cripes they can fall off a slide or teeter totter ...
Kids don't get enuff broken bones these days ..
When I was a KID there was always a kid walking around in a cast at one time or another....

Just be smart and choose wisely when and where you take them.
Let the kids play in a mud puddle... and outside on a rainy day too

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kids (well, some kids) can fall asleep anywhere, anytime. Big temperature swings really contribute to it (like putting on a warm jacket and helmet, or even taking a cold or hot bath, etc.).

My grandfather used to take me for rides when I was a little kid. Back then, the idea of safety equipment was a little more open to interpretation. I had to wear shoes and the only helmet Grandpa had was a football helmet ;). I sat on the tank when I was little, and later rode behind him. Man, that was fun.

Nowdays, I give my neighborhood kids rides on occasion, but only in the sidecar and only around the neighborhood.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just add a TopCase for extra confort and security ;)
Ordered one last night. I also took him to school this morning. It was quite an entrance. He loved it! I would not ride with him on the highway or even country roads. I only take him around town (small country town of 3k people on acre+ lots) with a speed limit of 35mph.

Yesterday he just rode Titan ( Titan: Six Flags Over Texas ) at Six Flags for the first time. He's quite an adventure seeker.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts