Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess what! My Ducati side panels exploded! Yes, that's right, they literally flew off my bike and shattered.

Okay, I was riding on the highway at 160-180KP/H, or about 100 to 110 MPH. Then I heard a crack and a bang sound and felt a little tire wobble and saw my side panels whiz past my legs.

I looked down and didn't see any more side panels but the front upper was still in tact.

I slowed down and stopped and then walked back on the highway. There were two large pieces of the upper sides on the road, one hundred little pieces on the road.

A truck hit some bits and they crunched up even more. I collected all the nice new bolts I had on there and rode home. I was happy to hit 200 KPH in places after that.

What do you expect brittle from 1996 panels? Now I can get carbon ones.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That happens. It happened to me too. Was at about 200km/hr when it happened. I felt light taps on my knees. Thought I hit a bird or dog or something. Looked down and my fairings were missing. My fairings were all carbon. Bummer! Collected all the pieces. Now I have spare fairings... hahahahaha!

Do you have dzus clips? The female part of those clips should be tightened periodically. Now I know.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny thing is I had it bolted on. But I think it was all old and brittle, otherwise it shouldn't have snapped so easily. HAHAHAH!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well... I am thankful all I felt was a light tap on the knees. I cannot imagine what would have happened if I ran over the belly pan. Expensive lesson learned.... make sure the female part of the dzus fasteners are tightened periodically. Oh well... all charged to experience.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Crap... that would be hairball....Never heard of that. I only have 1 fastener in the bottom due to the 57mm system. Better keep an eye on that...

·
9,757 Posts
Crap... that would be hairball....Never heard of that. I only have 1 fastener in the bottom due to the 57mm system. Better keep an eye on that...
Every time I have to take the bodywork off my 1098s I curse the billion little screws and lament the fact that it doesn't all come apart in a couple minutes like my 748s.

Then again I read stories like these and feel confident in the fact that the fairings prolly won't go flying off at speed :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
608 Posts
It just doesnt make sense. PLUS I heard the Ducati plastic doesnt disintegrate at high speed or other crash (this is their claim to non-applicable frame sliders) -- or in this case, a complete failure of integrity. JUZ doesnt make sense...
What the F happened?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I made a flat piece of CF that acts as a spacer so I can still use both of the DZUS screws on the bottom of my 999. It took me a couple of tries to get it right but it works really good. I will PM you some pics in the next couple of days. If you would like one I can cut a piece of CF off and send it out to you since I have some left.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You are all looking at this wrong. This is God's way of saying you should have bought a naked bike. Now you have a Monster, enjoy it! :cool:

·
Registered
797 Posts
To have all of your Dzus fall out enough to take off you fairings is HIGHLY unusual.
The 4 that hould on your upper side fairings to all shear or fly away is something that I've never heard of. Plus the 2 lower ones to fall out at the same time?

I think someone never tightened them to begin with.

The plastic does not develop a case of brittleness, that stuff lives forever in its soft rubbery-plastic state.......

Maybe it wass because you were wearing cutoff shorts and a tee-shirt, and God said that is stupid???? So you had to accept his wrath???

Guess what! My Ducati side panels exploded! Yes, that's right, they literally flew off my bike and shattered.

Okay, I was riding on the highway at 160-180KP/H, or about 100 to 110 MPH. Then I heard a crack and a bang sound and felt a little tire wobble and saw my side panels whiz past my legs.

I looked down and didn't see any more side panels but the front upper was still in tact.

I slowed down and stopped and then walked back on the highway. There were two large pieces of the upper sides on the road, one hundred little pieces on the road.

A truck hit some bits and they crunched up even more. I collected all the nice new bolts I had on there and rode home. I was happy to hit 200 KPH in places after that.

What do you expect brittle from 1996 panels? Now I can get carbon ones.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
If you lose that lower fitting under the oil cooler, the fairing acts like a parachute.

I always check the fittings under my bike. Some people that have lost fairings, drill two small holes and run a zip tie there.

-M

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
To have all of your Dzus fall out enough to take off you fairings is HIGHLY unusual.
The 4 that hould on your upper side fairings to all shear or fly away is something that I've never heard of. Plus the 2 lower ones to fall out at the same time?

The plastic does not develop a case of brittleness, that stuff lives forever in its soft rubbery-plastic state.......

Maybe it wass because you were wearing cutoff shorts and a tee-shirt, and God said that is stupid???? So you had to accept his wrath???

I have seen several old mid 90's 916 fairings that has super brittle ABS plastic.
If you look at them sidways they crack.

·
Registered
871 Posts
This thread is scaring the B-Jesus out of me. I take my fairings off all the time to work on the bike, the clips always seem tight when I replace the fairings. How do you tighten the female clip?

I don't want to experience my panels flying off at 100 mph.

·
Registered
93 Posts

You don't need to lose all of them for the fairing to fly off, you only need to lose the lower ones. I hit a coyote going about 90 on the highway last summer and even though I didn't drop the bike it still shattered the lower right side plastic. After I pulled over to check it out and I went back on my way down the highway the wind grabbed the left side and took it clean off the bike because there was nothing supporting the bottom any more.

This thread is scaring the B-Jesus out of me. I take my fairings off all the time to work on the bike, the clips always seem tight when I replace the fairings. How do you tighten the female clip?

I don't want to experience my panels flying off at 100 mph.
All you need to do is squish them with a pair of pliers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How do you tighten the female clip?
Next time you open up the bike remove the female part of the dzus (the square thingies attached to the fairings) and squish then with pliers. Also make sure that the holes where the female part of the dzus are intact. My female dzus were loose and some of the holes in the fairings were already broken, thus you can actually pull the fairings of if you pulled hard enough. My fault... I did not know that it could happen so I ignored it. Now I know. I periodically tighten the female dzus (before and after super long rides) and I always inspect the holes and make sure they are whole. Nothing to worry about really as long as they are taken care of.

The part that gave way in my case was the left part of the bellypan. When that went, the left fairing opened up and looked like a wing (according to my friends behind me). Then the belly pan was pulled out by the right fairing that also lifted like a wing. Then both left and right (with belly pan still attached) fairings got ripped off. According to my friends behind me, they thought my bike exploded since this happened very fast. My bike transformed from a faired bike to a naked bike in less than a second! :eek: Bike did not wobble one bit. The only indication I felt was a light tap on my knee armors. I thought I hit a small animal. But all is well and now I have an extra set of fairings for track use. :D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
This happened every now and then on the 749/999 early in their life. Some people would forget to reinstall or leave out the belly fasteners. If they are not there the two sides of the faring will catch air and balloon the sides of the fairings out and tear them right off the bike. It's critical to make sure the belly fasteners are secure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Safety wire:cool:

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I put red duct tape over my one bottom fastener on my 999. I think Ducati improved the bottom to 2 attachment points on later 2003-04' models. Otherwise I use 4 latch typr dzus fasteners on the top of my fairings and allen heads on the rest. Always check em' before a ride.
However it does give you a great excuse to replace them when they go frisbeeing down the pavement!......easy on the money conscience!:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts