Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hypermotard 950 and 1998 Monster 900
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just bought a second hand 1998 M900 :cool:
Proud to show it here, shot on my way back home last Sat.
There are a number of small DIY and mecanics to perform, in addition to a deep cleaning, but it runs pretty well!
Prior owner had the frame repainted with this, let's say, somewhat special, blue, as well as several parts polished, e.g. gearbox and clutch carters, fork, swingarm,...
Does anyone here owning the same model/year some advice to provide me with, and ideally some documetations, such as owner's manual, service repair manual, etc ?

Whish yu all a great deay ahead :)
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Sky Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome, Herve!! That's a good looking Monster. The blue frame isn't my cup of tea but I'm not sure I'd go through the trouble to repaint it, honestly. Well, not without some solid reference material to guide me through stripping the bike down to the frame and then reassembling after painting. Good luck with it if you go that route. Please post up the process if you can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
@998-MDG indeed, insetting the whole stuff and repainting the frame is definitely not my first priority…and skills:)
For now, I need a bunch of tunings to adapt the bike to me; fork legs are somewhat too downwards their Ts and need to be raised some mm upward.
As well, I wonder if I’ll keep all carbon stuff tied on the frame: do they effectively bring fresh air to the back cylinder or could they just be there for the look?
Other mechanic planned soon,
  • changing the poor front lamp which at its maximum lights 10metres in front of the bike by night,scary on little countryside roads !
  • finding why, and then fix, the transmission shakes when accelerating or at deceleration; not quite sure it comes from a somewhat loosened chain
  • and moreover a full day cleaning the whole :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@flynbulldog good looking one, congrats :cool:
As said before, undressing and then setting up again all items off/on the frame for a paint job need tools, skills,…and a proper workshop to do it properly!
For now I’ll improve what can be and make the reste reliable enough to go for a ride with no worries in mind!

·
Super Moderator
5,666 Posts
There is a post at the top of the "Tech Forum" that has links to a bunch of service manuals. You may find yours there!

·
Registered
2007 Monster S2R1000
37 Posts
Cool! I rather like the frame, especially if there's a bit of metallic in it.
Those sidecovers are interesting, could you post a closer pic?

Not a fan of the air scoops, I never have been. They seem to cover up the beauty of the Monster frame.

Overall, I think it's a great looking bike, I hope you get heaps of enjoyment from it!

Reactions: Herve Provence

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a post at the top of the "Tech Forum" that has links to a bunch of service manuals. You may find yours there!
Many thanks indeed sir :) I have actually downloaded this one. In fact, it's written in Italian, with somr parts in English and French, though the non-Italian parts seem fairly incomplete, for instance the torque data, which are quite useful; having to translate from another language might induce some mistakes ! Will use a translator anyway from Italian to French and that's it; diagrams remain international.
Thanks however, enjoy a nice weekend ahead!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool! I rather like the frame, especially if there's a bit of metallic in it.
Those sidecovers are interesting, could you post a closer pic?
Will do, I'll post a pix of them afterwork (should be daytime in the USA). To be more precise, they seem made of polyethylen, and good looking stripe shaped. Will check this weekend when the bike will be naked, if any references were printed on the inner side.

Not a fan of the air scoops, I never have been. They seem to cover up the beauty of the Monster frame.

Overall, I think it's a great looking bike, I hope you get heaps of enjoyment from it!
Agree for the air scoops, they're tied to the frame with rilsans but jerk still with vibrations...and gather dusts.
Not a too bad make, though not sure whether they're really as usefull to refresh the rear cylinder as should :) I presume that if they did, we'd see some more often on other air-cooled-bikes/Monsters.
I'll remove them this weekend to deep clean up the engine and decidee then they're worth staying or not. At least they make my bike some kind of unique!
You're right Ducati tubular frames are a nice piece of work a pitty hiding.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
  • finding why, and then fix, the transmission shakes when accelerating or at deceleration; not quite sure it comes from a somewhat loosened chain

Hopefully, not what happened to my M900 a few months back;

4 teeth off the 6th gear on the input/clutch shaft and, following my research when looking for a replacement, it's not uncommon for the 6th gear to wear badly which ultimately can lead to failure.

Though, to be fair mine did a little more than just shake...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gosh, not just a bit or à tooth worn!
The fact is that shakes occur whatever the gear, at speed up or down. I suspect the rear axle silentbloc, and if my chain is not well tense, it seems an excessive effect.
Will have to unset all that stuff to sort it out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Commando , are these items what you wanted a closer view?
Brand is DPM, but no other reference on inner side!
Hood Motor vehicle Car Blue Automotive design

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Finally,after a quick cleaning, I dropped some non essential accessories, and here’s how it now looks, much better 😀
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
2007 Monster S2R1000
37 Posts
Reactions: Herve Provence

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That looks cool. Seems a previous owner spent quite a bit of money making this Monster their own.
Yes, He obviously did, many coloured hoses as well, besides there remains some optilization of the electric wires, some need replacement, partially worn or ends almost oxydized.

The DPM side items are of a good make, aluminium well coated and rather light; they're the only covers I'll keep, non mentioning the rear seat cover.
It wouldn't be fun if there were nothing to do to make it my own though :)

Have a nice week ahead and thanks for your comments!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts