Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to hear others opinions about what I wear while riding. This came to mind when looking at a new pair of touring pants. Tour Master has a pair of perforated pants that to me, seem like you'd be wearing kleenex to cover your legs...

Onto my gear.

Arai helmet (feel okay there).
Vanson jacket with armor (feel good here too)
Held gloves with carbon over the knuckles (feel good here too).
Pants, I have been wearing a pair of Rev It rotor pants, summer edition style. They seem thin to me.
Boots. Steel toe biker boots. More akin maybe to a cruiser style boot.

I feel good about what I'm wearing on the top half but am not as confident on the bottom.

I know that I am wearing more protective gear than 90% of the general public here in California. It still can't believe how many people I see in tank tops, shorts and even flip flops from time to time. That's their choice for sure but I like my skin on my body.

So, am I fooling myself thinking I'm being at very least somewhat responsible?

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
There has been some thought that carbon as protection in gloves may not be ideal. I've heard speculation that the carbon can shatter on impact and induce glass-like cuts. There isn't much info out there on post crash equipment performance. We mostly see bike photos.

Steel toe boots are nice. I ran with them for a while, but they can be clunkly. The big thing that is missing with them is ankle protection. I picked up some Joe Rocket Orbit boots. They look a lot like standard work boots, but have a stiff sole. The ankle protection doesn't line up well, but its there. I do miss the steel toe.

The one big consideration is the big dollar boots have ski boot-like protection. Similarly, these are a pain to do anything in except ride. Are they overkill for sport-touring? We do put more miles on and our bikes are heavier. Great. ;)

For the pants, as long as there is some CE knee armour and some extra layers in the hip and butt, you should do fine.

One of the areas that bothers me is the lack of connection between my pants and jacket. I've been too lazy to get the zippers sewn to match.

But then, I've been down twice and walked away with the ability to reuse all my gear. That is just amazing in my book. My jacket just needed a bit of reinforcing in the left elbow area after the first incident. I put my jacket, pants, and gloves in the wash after the second to get all the moss off.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for commenting. The rev it pants have some knee pads, though they fit on my knees while riding, not sure where they'd wind up in a crash. The material overall just seems kind of thin, but I guess it is designed for riding and it's made out of some special material. The pants have minimal padding in the hip area.

Boots. I've often thought about the fact that my boots, while tall don't offer any support. I've looked at other boots and most just have a very thin sole. I'm not that tall and I like the taller soles on my boots. I've used them for about 10 years now...

Maybe it's time to look at some other boots, and perhaps some under body armor to fit under my pants.

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
I believe there are some armoured under pants that you can get.

That was the problem I had with my jacket. Even though it fits well on my arms, it appears that the elbow armour may have moved and exposed my forearm. One small raspberry isn't too high a price. I am sort of guessing that my weight came down on my elbow as that was to only area damaged.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your boots and helmet ideally should be as light as possible, of course, without irrationally compromising safety. Steel toe boots are typically heavy without the protective features of a real motorcycle boot, at least the ones I've owned. Heavy boots way out at the end of the extremity of your leg serve as a nice heavy pendulum to smash your foot to goo and tear your joints to shreds in the unfortunate event of a crash.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Thanks for commenting. The rev it pants have some knee pads, though they fit on my knees while riding, not sure where they'd wind up in a crash. The material overall just seems kind of thin, but I guess it is designed for riding and it's made out of some special material. The pants have minimal padding in the hip area.

Boots. I've often thought about the fact that my boots, while tall don't offer any support. I've looked at other boots and most just have a very thin sole. I'm not that tall and I like the taller soles on my boots. I've used them for about 10 years now...

Maybe it's time to look at some other boots, and perhaps some under body armor to fit under my pants.
Don't worry about whether you are being responsible relative to someone else's choice of whether or not to wear riding gear. You are the one that will be physically effected by your choice of gear. Dress for your comfort and the level of risk you are willing to take. Sounds like you are concerned about your personal safety or you would not be asking.

I have Rev It Challenge pants that are very similar to your Rotors and while the provided armor is CE certified and probably good armor, it's highly likely to roll off my knee during an asphalt surfing episode. This is most always going to be an issue with textiles unless they fit really snug and most don't. The pants were just too loose in the knee area for my comfort. What I did to mitigate that is purchase a set of Knox knee guards: http://stores.knoxarmor.com/-strse-25/KNOX-Cross-Knee-Guards/Detail.bok . These fit comfortably and won't rotate around on my knees. I did remove the knee armor in the pants. Most Textiles should provide adequate abrasion protection so the key for me is to beef up the armor to the level of my leather suits (back protetor, shoulder and elbow/forarm armor). As for boots, my choice has always been a good quality road race boot (Sidi verdebra) as I figure that if it works on the track, for the most part it should work on the street and Sidi's are very comfortable on and off the bike. There are plenty of choices of styles and price ranges but a dedicated street boot for me is prefereable to any sort of work boot.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
unfortunate field test of gear

I am sure by now most of you know about my crash last May near Weaverville, CA. For those who may not, here are two links.
background: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=64910

Got to post #30 on this thread to see how my helmet fared:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=39196&page=3

My gear held up very well. Most of my injuries were impact injuries caused by what my friends believe was a high side. There was very little abrasion on my textile riding jacket (Dainese) and pants (Firstgear). I wish my pants had had more padding or armor in the hip area, as that appeared to be my point of impact. I am still sore in the bursa area below my left hip.

My right shin was bruised. I am sure my calf length Sidi boots prevented more serious injury.

I suffered a small abrasion near the lowest knuckle on a little finger. My gloves were an inexpensive Harley Davidson brand with a Gortex liner. They did their job as the abrasive action tore through the leather in two spots but did not penetrate the Gortex layer. That being said, I will still look for better gloves as replacements.

A very serious accident in Idaho by a California rider prompted me to start this thread concerning one piece riding suits.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=68294

Looking through the Accessories and Gear forum, I see a lot of threads on riding jackets and pants which I am going to read in detail. These are usually not the types of threads I pay attention to until I am in the market for new gear.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I recently picked up a pair of Alpine Star boots, they have steel toes, ankle protection and are waterproof.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Mesh riding pants are tougher than you think! Yes, they appear thin, but the material is very strong and holds up well in an accident. The minimal pads that most mesh pants have are not ideal but will protect you from serious injuries better than no pads at all!

I had a 65+ mph high side crash last year while wearing a 2 piece, full mesh, Olympia riding suit. The suit didn't shred or rip as I tumbled down the road! I hit hard on my left side and because I didn't zipper my pants to my jacket (lesson learned!!) my pants did move down my legs a little and I ended up with some road rash around my hips! I broke 5 ribs and smashed my collar bone but didn't break anything below the waist. I was also wearing a pear of 'Eagan' Summer riding gloves which are deer skin with no armour and simply elasticated at the wrist. They stayed on my hands and got shredded, but I had no hand injuries whatsoever!

Sadly, the EMTs at the scene cut all my gear off me! The only kit that survived were my Sidi boots. I still ride with them. :)

When I was able to ride again, the first thing I did was buy more Olympia mesh gear. I have no qualms about riding with mesh gear or 2 piece suits although now, I make sure I zipper my pants to my jacket before setting off! :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
For my sport touring boot needs, I went overseas to Europe (England actually). I bought these:

TCX Competizione S Goretex boots

At the time they were marketed as sport touring boots. Full grain upper, goretex lining, excellent protection.

I'm not hiking miles in them, but I walked around Indy last year at the MotoGP race and didn't have an issue. They were great for the Thursday and Friday events because I could walk through the rain (downpour) and my feet stayed dry. :)

Unfortunately they aren't sold in the United States.

-Bob

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
These guys like others let you design your own look and features.
They have a very comprehensive measuring chart so you can order with confidence.

http://www.tigerangel.com.au/frontpage.html

The other good thing is you get some pussy on your leathers:D

Craig

·
Registered
126 Posts
I currently wear a Dainse jacket except when the temp is over 80 then I wear a firstgear mesh jacket with full armor. Dainse gloves Shoie helmet looking for summer pants, winter are leather (can not remember the brand). For boots there is a military supply store here in town that sells stuff to the Marines headed overseas that sold me some Paratrooper jump boots. Off the bike they feel like tennis shoes that go to mid calf. Heavy padding around the ankles lots of support and no metal to set off the detectors on the way into work. In Dec of 07 I crash tested a Joe Rocket Jacket, Shoie helmet and Triumph gloves. They worked great it is not every day you can crash a bike at freeway speeds with only a broken shoulder and bruises.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, sounds like I"m doing okay with what I'm wearing. I do not judge my safety by what others are wearing. I don't think, well, that guy is wearing shorts so jeans MUST be okay...

No, I posted instead to gauge where I'm at with my gear. Would be nice to zip the top and bottom together. I would like to find some armor I could wear under the pants. The rev it seem too minimal. And I guess my boots could afford an update.

I try to ride on the conservative side. But there are so many variables.... as we all know.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
I try to ride on the conservative side. But there are so many variables.... as we all know.
Tell me about it. I think I ride conservatively too, and look what hapened to me. Two thoughts come to mind:
1) Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
2) Sometimes "the other guy" is you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gravel rash

Hi all
Now I may be concidered a lurker and that I should post more than I have but on this subject I beleive whole hartedley with Zedx9's opinion in thatyou should fell comfortable to tackle any situation wilst riding.I have been riding for about 30 years (since I was 9 and never with out a bike for more than a year and at the moment I have 5) In that time I have come accross many situations on two wheels, as much as sliding off a cliff at the tender age of about 12, in saying this I am certonly no expert or authority on the matter but take my personal protective gear quite seriously, there fore if I buy some gear for myself or my wife, children it has to be durable and last for a long time as the cost is relavilely high (we all caln't afford the latest and the greatest) in saying this the protection has to be what I would concider the highest and for this there is only one "Leather" not textile sorry, I would rather pesperation running down my back and neck than wear textile, I also would rather be sliding on the black top with my 14 year old firm fitting MQP (German made) 2 piece leather than any textile I or you may have, my boots are also 18 year old alpinestar boots, still water resistant, my helmet is Arai, I have several Arai's depending on the trip the new for long trips and the old one for short rides (morning ridge runs or afternoon rides) and gloves are also alpinestar with no carbon crap just all leather. Now if water proofing is your concern with leather than simply apply some conditioner to it this will assist water proofing if you apply on a regular bassis and if heat is the problem than simply wear only your jox under your suit (vanity in this situation is relative to safety only) I do not paticularly care how i look in other peoples eyes my safety comes first then how i feel then other peoples perception.
Ride on and feel safe:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts