Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, during the 600 mile service the swingarm was damaged by the dealer I bought the bike from. Then the dealership I took it to get repaired, not the same as the one who damaged the swingarm, dropped the bike while unloading it during delivery back to me. I can't wait to see what will happen next. :)

This brings me to my question. When the driver dropped it the key, which was in the ignition at the time, was bent. The dealer told me the housing for the ignition looked fine and he ordered me a new key. Is there anything I should keep an eye on in terms of the ignition housing? It seems like if the key was hit hard enough to bend it in the housing it might have also damaged the internals of the ignition.

Thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
WTF:eek: , Man that sucks. How'd they tell you the news.:eek: I would have blown up. That's one of my biggest fears.
I'm getting mad now...10....9...8...7..6...5...4...3...2...1...Breathe in, breathe out......10...9...8..7.....ok...ok..ok. I think I'm alright.
How'd your key get bent, it's in tucked in? What else could be wrong with it? When you said delivery, they dropped it off at your house? Literarlly I guess:rolleyes: .

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
Psychor said:
Is there anything I should keep an eye on in terms of the ignition housing? It seems like if the key was hit hard enough to bend it in the housing it might have also damaged the internals of the ignition.

Thanks.
I wouldn't worry too much. Keys actually bend quite easy. I bent my Kawasaki key while in the housing and it didn't do any damage at all. I didn't even get a new key. I just bent it back and I haven't had any problems in the last 17K miles since it happened.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tell you... if at all possible and with tact, have them acknowledge in writing what happened. If you have a problem with the ignition or imobilizer in the next year or so, you can say..."remember when...etc."

·
Registered
490 Posts
The key bent, but no other damage? How is that possible? The first bike I bought had damaged front plastics, but since it was repaired so well, I didn't notice it till a year later when I took off the front upper for some other reason. Sold it to me as new.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My dealer chipped my tank and retouched it without telling me. I only found out much later when I was taking the thing apart. Grrrrr. Check around and see if there is more damage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jus_Livin said:
WTF:eek: , Man that sucks. How'd they tell you the news.:eek: I would have blown up. That's one of my biggest fears.
I'm getting mad now...10....9...8...7..6...5...4...3...2...1...Breathe in, breathe out......10...9...8..7.....ok...ok..ok. I think I'm alright.
How'd your key get bent, it's in tucked in? What else could be wrong with it? When you said delivery, they dropped it off at your house? Literarlly I guess:rolleyes: .
I was right there watching the dude unload the bike when it happened. In sort of went by in slow motion for me as I saw him slowly lose control and then drop the bike on its right side. I just stood there in silence for a bit. The sub-frame got nicked, plastics broke and the key bent. Instead of waiting weeks for parts the service manager said they would take the part off of a new 749 and use those.

RTR said:
I tell you... if at all possible and with tact, have them acknowledge in writing what happened. If you have a problem with the ignition or imobilizer in the next year or so, you can say..."remember when...etc."
I definitely plan to get it all in writing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If my dealer (or anyone for that matter) dropped my bike I would loop. Positively loop right out and the offending party had better put as much distance between me and them as fast as humanly possible.

Just *thinking* about someone dropping my bike makes me want to kill something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
KRG said:
If my dealer (or anyone for that matter) dropped my bike I would loop. Positively loop right out and the offending party had better put as much distance between me and them as fast as humanly possible.

Just *thinking* about someone dropping my bike makes me want to kill something.
I can understand that you love your bike, but shit happens. People make mistakes. If you're not willing to realize that, you're gonna be an asshole to a lot of people.

Psychor, good luck with dealing with the dealer.

Larry

PS - This is Ltrain from c-f.com

·
Registered
610 Posts
Psychor said:
First, during the 600 mile service the swingarm was damaged by the dealer I bought the bike from. Then the dealership I took it to get repaired, not the same as the one who damaged the swingarm, dropped the bike while unloading it during delivery back to me. I can't wait to see what will happen next. :)

This brings me to my question. When the driver dropped it the key, which was in the ignition at the time, was bent. The dealer told me the housing for the ignition looked fine and he ordered me a new key. Is there anything I should keep an eye on in terms of the ignition housing? It seems like if the key was hit hard enough to bend it in the housing it might have also damaged the internals of the ignition.

Thanks.
This post is a few months old and we try to forget these horrifying happenings but...

...yesterday i came home to a cold shower...
...in my garage.
The upstairs resident turned his laundry on and went to work. In the evening, oh say about 7:00ish I came home and opened up to find a wall of water washing my feet out.
Well the good news was that my bike wasn't directly under the rain and only received a good splashing, but it gets better...
... all of the fairings were on the garage floor and the engine and especially the rear area were exposed to the water. All in all it wasn't as bad as some fool dropping your ride but in a blink of an eye all can be lost.

T

·
0 Posts
:D IF you think ur 749 needs sympathy...mine was dropped off an 18 wheeler by my moves as they tried to ride it off the truck using a plank of wood...yea even tho i told them not too...then after finally fixing it...i was sitting still at a gas station a friendly jamican man said hello to me ...and proceeded to run me over lol...and yet..she LIVES!...im afraid to ride her now anywhere but the track tho...she likes the track...so i got a daytona for the street

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Since someone else resurrected this thread I guess I should post the followup. The dealer who dropped my bike, after repairing the damage done by the original dealer, took it back after dropping it and instead of having me wait for weeks on new parts swapped out the the damaged parts with parts from a new bike. I got my bike back in a week or so instead of a month. I have been riding since. :D

After all of this took place I took some time to call the owner of the original dealership, where my swing arm was damaged. Why didn't I talk to the owner originally? That is a long story, but basically from what I understood at the time he didn't directly handle these issues so I went through their standard "channels." I went through the story with the owner, expecting him to be quite defensive, and long story short he offered me an extended warranty through Rider's Choice as compensation. I wasn't looking for compensation and I told him this, but it was a good move on his part even though I am not sure I will ever trust their service department again.

Owning a Duc has been an interesting experience. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts