Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some GioCaMoto slip on exhaust canisters on my '92 900SS. They were loud in '92, and now that I'm over 60, they're too loud. I could put the stock cans back on, but I don't like them and they would probably mess up the current FCR jetting. I would prefer to replace them with Termi or Staintune cans, but there never seems to be anything available at a reasonable price. Most of the Termignoni I see are like $1K shipped from Japan. Does anyone have an idea on what I could do to the GioCaMoto exhaust to quiet it a bit without totally changing the back pressure?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't know anything about those canisters, but are they repackable? If so, that might be your very easy answer...

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are patient, the old adage "Everything shows up on eBay sooner or later" should happen for you. Hopefully some used ones will pop up--and they will. Save the search, get email notification, and keep checking.

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Open them up and have a look at the wadding. It's pretty obvious when you need a repack.

Otherwise, there's a lot of options for after market decibel killers.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks folks. I'll take them apart and see what I find. They pretty much sound like an automatic rifle.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
The original GiaCaMoto pipes were loud when new , not nearly as bad as say D&D but still loud. Given the age of them Yes I would start by re-packing as that might make them quiet enough for you, often it is the packing at the engine side of the exhaust that burns out first. Do not use poor packing you want to use the stuff that looks like a quilted blanket and do not make it too tight to the core or the effect becomes a straight pipe that is loud.

If packing does not get you there I would recommend making Db killers for them, a local exhaust shop can make them up for you if you show them what they should look like. Make them mostly closed and simply add holes until you reach the sound you are looking for. After you get the sound right you probably will need to change the jetting as Db killers will often richen the bike up, I assume you are running a closed airbox if you are looking to quiet the bike down.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If packing does not get you there I would recommend making Db killers for them, a local exhaust shop can make them up for you if you show them what they should look like. Make them mostly closed and simply add holes until you reach the sound you are looking for.
That reminds me of something similar I did on the XB Buell - had a Jardine pipe with no Db killer, but found a 50mm welch plug that fit the outlet nicely... drilled one large hole in the center, smaller ones around the outside, and retained in place via a screw through the side of the outlet into the plug. Worked a treat in reducing the sound to more manageable levels...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Ducvet, I run the bike with the snorkels removed from the air box lid. I like the intake noise but the exhaust is just too loud. I really like the sound of Staintune or Termignoni pipes, but as I originally said, I haven't seen any at a reasonable price that weren't trashed. The outlets point down, so not sure if a dB killer will fit in the end.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Yes Db killers can be made to fit, find a pipe maker in your area if need be. The GiaCaMoto's should not be that much louder than a termi so start with checking that packing.

Think of a tube with a solid welch plug on the end and then drill say 9 1/4" holes in the sides (3 rows of 3). The tube should be about 4-5" long and 1/4-1/3 the diameter of the core. If this quiets it too much just add another set of holes ( 3 rows of 4 etc).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting. My '95 was built with stock 82DB Ducati cans but when I tried to put it on the road in Switzerland they told me their max spec was 80DB. Apparently Swiss spec bikes had a different muffler back then.
So, the local dealer in Glattbrugg gave me 2 spacers to put inside the pipe at the entrance to the cans. They were the exact size of the pipe but had a hole drilled in the center to restrict the noise (and the power no doubt). He asked for them back after I passed the DOT test.
Now, I have Sil Moto's and I have also removed the snorkels. Sounds nice to me, but it would never be legal in CH. We could be worse off.

·
Registered
866 Posts
the easy fix is ear plugs

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the easy fix is ear plugs
Ha! I wear ear plugs. What I find is that when I'm in a car and bikes pass me with pipes that are as loud as mine, I go "Wow that is way too loud." So I guess I don't want to be that guy. Plus the local police / city always post lighted signs about how there is "ZERO TOLERANCE LOUD MOTORCYCLE EXHAUST". The pipes are 25 years old, so having done some reading, it's probably time to repack them anyway.

·
Registered
610 Posts
....Given the age of them Yes I would start by re-packing as that might make them quiet enough for you, often it is the packing at the engine side of the exhaust that burns out first. Do not use poor packing you want to use the stuff that looks like a quilted blanket and do not make it too tight to the core or the effect becomes a straight pipe that is loud.
Spot on here about not being too tight, you need room for the sound waves to expand & dissipate.
You can also use a layer of fine steel wool for the first section to help protect against the heat...
I´ve heard a lot of good things about a product called Acousta-Fil too but never tried it myself.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks.. I have sent email requests to the folks who make Acousti-Fil and to a company called Bristol Core. The Acousti-Fil people are in the UK so I'm checking on availability.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Ha! I wear ear plugs. What I find is that when I'm in a car and bikes pass me with pipes that are as loud as mine, I go "Wow that is way too loud." So I guess I don't want to be that guy. Plus the local police / city always post lighted signs about how there is "ZERO TOLERANCE LOUD MOTORCYCLE EXHAUST". The pipes are 25 years old, so having done some reading, it's probably time to repack them anyway.
Where do you live????? I wanna make sure I never, ever go there. >:)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts