Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the past 8 months I've been riding with a soft textile tailbag strapped to the back luggage rack. Seeing the advantages having secure, waterproof, and lockable storage always appealed to me. However the size of the OEM top case and aftermarket products available did not appeal to me. Seeing a few images of members mounting Pelican cases on their bikes I decided to go that route. I know Caribou sells a mounting kit that could be adapted to the Multi, but for a quarter of the price with stainless steel hardware I bought at Home Depot I made my own mount. I selected the Pelican Case 1400, to me this was the perfect size. Not too big, not too small. Fits all my essentials: bottled water, couple bags of mix nuts, a micro-fiber cleaning cloth, medium can of plexus, wallet, keys, phone, tool kit, a hat, and room to spare for whatever else I need to stuff in there. The case is also secured from the interior with wing-nuts therefore easily removable if I so needed.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
That looks very good and practical. I'm thinking of the same type of set up for mine but was looking at a lightly smaller unit like the 1400, or 1300 series.

How did you secure the mount to the bottom of the case exactly (hard to see in the pics) Did you drill and use a rubber grommet style washer like in this pic to keep it water/air tight ?

Nice job

Attachments

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
looks good, should do the trick!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks very good and practical. I'm thinking of the same type of set up for mine but was looking at a lightly smaller unit like the 1400, or 1300 series.

How did you secure the mount to the bottom of the case exactly (hard to see in the pics) Did you drill and use a rubber grommet style washer like in this pic to keep it water/air tight ?

Nice job
Meff, I'm sorry my case is the 1400. When you mentioned going smaller I remembered when looking at the cases the next size down was just too narrow. When you go below the 1400 case dimensions the cases are oddly proportioned for a top case. Like on the Pelican website the 1400 is the biggest of the "small cases", the 1300 is like almost squarish, the 1200 is like a tiny box big enough for a camera.

I drilled the holes for the attachment bolts precisely the size of the bolts. The bolts were a tight squeeze to get through, and stainless washers with the wing nut secure the case. I used bolt, spacer and washer, then case, then washer and wing nut. I did not use any type pf sealent or rubber grommet. The case I guess is not technically air/water tight anymore, but there is no air or water getting in this thing unless the bike gets submerged.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Meff, I'm sorry my case is the 1400. When you mentioned going smaller I remembered when looking at the cases the next size down was just too narrow. When you go below the 1400 case dimensions the cases are oddly proportioned for a top case. Like on the Pelican website the 1400 is the biggest of the "small cases", the 1300 is like almost squarish, the 1200 is like a tiny box big enough for a camera.
Thanks Gill - this actually helps as now I know what the 1400 looks like installed. The 1400 (yours) has external measurements of approximately 13.5 x 11.5 x 6h and the 1300 has externals of 10.5 x 10 x 7h - this is about as small as I would go but will likely have 2-3 various sizes to swap on and off and make sure I fabricate the bracket allowing spacing to fit each case.

I drilled the holes for the attachment bolts precisely the size of the bolts. The bolts were a tight squeeze to get through, and stainless washers with the wing nut secure the case. I used bolt, spacer and washer, then case, then washer and wing nut. I did not use any type pf sealent or rubber grommet. The case I guess is not technically air/water tight anymore, but there is no air or water getting in this thing unless the bike gets submerged.
Sounds good I agree - if you find yourself in a situation where water is getting in, you'll probably have bigger things to worry about....

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that a GPS receiver mounted on top of the case? Looks a little large for what I know, thus the question.

Thanks
That circular object mounted to the top of the Pelican case is the SiriusXM satellite radio antenna for the Garmin Zumo 665.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hey Gil, cool box.

I took delivery on my PP last weekend and started adding some bling this week. I posted some pics a few minutes ago.
Monte

·
North Carolina, USA
3,316 Posts
Nice setup. Grind the ends of the mounting bars round, paint it all black, and your mount will look factory.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice setup. Grind the ends of the mounting bars round, paint it all black, and your mount will look factory.
Thanks for the input MollyCBR, I know I could have done a better job with the finishing touches. After all the measuring, cutting, jigging, drilling, and fitting...I just wanted it done. Next rainy day I feel like fiddling with it, I am going to do exactly what you suggested.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I like it! I suspect you've already seen the post I made of Pelican/Storm bags mounted on my 2011 MTS S Sport (Feb. 18, "Pelican bags for my Multi). I've attached pics from that post again here. I started out with this design several years but fitted to the ST4s I had at the time. Like you, I started smaller - just big enough for my laptop, then big enough for the laptop and a rain suit, then for a large leather day bag plus rain suit. With what you see here, I can travel across the country - I will not go larger!

I addressed the mount and water-tight seal a little differently than you. I mounted directly to the existing rack using the four threaded mounting holes. Between the bag and the rack are four nylon standoffs (no scratching) with rubber bushings fit to their inner diameters. The rubber bushings are just slightly longer than the height of the standoffs and a close fit to the outer diameters of the mounting bolts. Before assembly, the bushings are liberally coated with silicon grease. When tightened, the rubber bushing compress and a very reliable seal is made - which has been tested with a pressure sprayer and a few hundred miles of riding in the rain. No leaks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice setup John ::yeah:: yes I had seen your photos before. I believe I researched all the members who posted similar installations.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I like it! I suspect you've already seen the post I made of Pelican/Storm bags mounted on my 2011 MTS S Sport (Feb. 18, "Pelican bags for my Multi). I've attached pics from that post again here. I started out with this design several years but fitted to the ST4s I had at the time. Like you, I started smaller - just big enough for my laptop, then big enough for the laptop and a rain suit, then for a large leather day bag plus rain suit. With what you see here, I can travel across the country - I will not go larger!

I addressed the mount and water-tight seal a little differently than you. I mounted directly to the existing rack using the four threaded mounting holes. Between the bag and the rack are four nylon standoffs (no scratching) with rubber bushings fit to their inner diameters. The rubber bushings are just slightly longer than the height of the standoffs and a close fit to the outer diameters of the mounting bolts. Before assembly, the bushings are liberally coated with silicon grease. When tightened, the rubber bushing compress and a very reliable seal is made - which has been tested with a pressure sprayer and a few hundred miles of riding in the rain. No leaks!
Just curious what size pelican case you used for the top box. I just installed a 1600 on mine yesterday, it looks huge!!! I actually just purchased a 1520 right after I installed the 1600, I don't know if I can live with that size.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gill - thanks for the idea. I set out to copy your install. I have a Give top case but I've never been thrilled with the look - too big, but practical. I had an older Pelican case and picked up a DPS rack second hand.

I really wanted a set-up where I could switch between the Pelican and Givi with no tools. After studying it, I ended up mounting the Pelican case right to the Givi rack. 2 holes in the rack and 4 holes in the bottom of the Pelican and I have a secure set-up. Even sits level. I use wingnuts inside the case so I can remove everything with no tools.

Anybody need a DPS rack in like-new condtion?

Attachments

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
I really wanted a set-up where I could switch between the Pelican and Givi with no tools. After studying it, I ended up mounting the Pelican case right to the Givi rack. 2 holes in the rack and 4 holes in the bottom of the Pelican and I have a secure set-up. Even sits level. I use wingnuts inside the case so I can remove everything with no tools.
Good idea. I'm going to look into this. I already have cases, could be a very pleasant little project. The only thing I would miss is the ability to lock the helmet inside the case when using the Pelican. I find that a constant benefit. But I would like a svelter package most of the time.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I used wing nuts on the inside also, it seems to be a good mounting option.

I also used a Dynamics Engineering rack, my friend turned me on to this company. Real nice quality.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts