Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:Went for a ride and realized I had oil blowing all over my read wheel and dripping out of my lower fairing.
A flashlight revealed oil coming out of the output shaft under the sprocket. There is no oil seal there! The Clymer manual manual shows how to pry it out. Mine pryed itself and it is gone>
Is this common or did I get major crankcase pressure to blow it out????

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WOW! 60 views and not a single response!

This may be some kind of record in being an event so rare it has everyone stumped. So I ordered a new seal from Nebraska (great folks), less than $8.00May look at the Crankcase vent system and see if it was excess pressure that blew it out.
I did find a thumb sized lump of ground up rubber mixed with oil behind the sprocket.

Maybe this will help others when they do a pre-ride inspection on 12 year or older 750 SS"!

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Yup. Stunned. ;)

The front sprocket hadn't come loose at all? Not had some random mechanic working on it...?
I vaguely recall replacing the same seal on my 900, but then again, I've replaced most of the seals on it... As for one coming out, and disappearing? Haven't had that one.
Good luck!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Has it span off INSIDE the engine? Not conversant with this seal to know if there is a step to prevent this but cant see it coming of the other way??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reply to 470 and steve

The sprocket did not become loose, but I found some of the seal behind it. The seal did not collapse inside either. The part was very very hard and not pliable at all as a seal of this type should be. My guess to this mystery is the bike sat for a long time(it only had 1500 miles on it and its a 2000 750ss), and I think the seal just dried up, got brittle and popped out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
+1 on them going hard... the lava-temperature of an SS engine will eat seals! Just renewed the cam pulleys and cambelt drive pulley seals on my SS, they had been baked into what can only be described as a hard plastic state??! :confused:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is this a normal occurance? I just noticed oil leaking onto my pipe, right at the countershaft sprocket area. It results in some nice smoking at traffic lights.

I pray this will be an easy fix.. :)

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
Check your clutch fluid level. A leaky clutch slave is more common.
Check your chain tension, also. I've known chains that were too tight to trash the seal in some engines....and the output shaft....and the transmission. A buddy of mine recently had a too-tight chain trash the tranny output shaft on his Bandit 1200. :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
Definitely check the crankcase breather system . I blew out one of those seals on my 750 racebike when it holed a piston at high speed/load and the pressure blew it out .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check your clutch fluid level. A leaky clutch slave is more common.
How did you know that? Mine actually is leaking. I have a Yoyodyne, so I guess I'll have to check it out and give them a call.

I am impressed by your knowledge.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well your not the only one I blew the seal out of mine on Monday. What a mess, first thing Monday morning before heading off to work I checked my oil level and it was low, so I pulled the fairing and topped it up, put the fairing back on and off I went to work. I made it about a mile when I realized there was oil all over the right side of my bike, turns out I forgot to put the oil filler cap on (Monday mornings got to love them). I limped the bike back home, worried I was going to run low on oil, I made it with out the oil light coming on, so I think I'm good. So now I'm late for work. I pull the fairing again, quick wipe down, add a bunch of oil, put the filler plug and fairing back on, wipe down the rear wheel and off I go to the car wash. Well now I'm real late and it seems I have added to much oil, when I arrive at work the right side is clean but now the left side is wet with oil. Lunch time rolls around and I zip over to the car wash again to clean the bike and tire. Checking the oil level it looks a little high but on real bad, so I think I'm ok till I get to change the oil on Tuesday night. Tuesday I pull the fairing clean off the rest of the oil, do a oil change, only to find it is still leaking off the out put shaft. Looking closer I see the seal hanging there, I reinstalled it, and hear it is Thursday and all is dry. I'm surprised over filling the engine oil pushed out the seal, I would have expected the oil to blow out the breather. Any how any chance you over filled the engine oil?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts