Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Yer off yer rocker! :D Yep, cause for concern. That's a lot of crap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
upon inspection, lots of metallic flake and some grey "rubber" type pieces .. it had a "clean" 6000 mile service 1500 miles ago.... nice

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
That's the best example I've ever seen of why the screen is there. Sorry you have something failing but just think how bad it would be if that shit was running around in the oil!

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Could that be residue from flaky rocker arms? Has the screen ever been cleaned? I just did an oil change on my Hypermotard and cleaned the filter screen (at 4k) and other than a couple of small pieces of what looked like assembly gasket sealer, but not a single piece of metal, and I'm sure the dealer didn't clean it at the break-in service.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Has the screen ever been cleaned?
I think this is an important point, if not then it may not be quite as bad as it looks but it would be useful to know if the 'bits' are chrome (rockers), aluminium (oil galley plug) or steel (gears).

Best case scenario is that the bits are gear 'chips' from the bike being new and nothing is damaged, worst case - well the sky's the limit.

Checking the rockers is much easier than checking the others, which require an engine stripdown, rather than just cams out.

An 'autopsy' of the bits would tell you alot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the amount definitely makes me think that it may have never been cleaned. I am second owner, I got it @ 7400 miles. Lesson learned on reading the hall of wisdom regarding buying used ducati... and heeding.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Looks like aluminum? Chrome flakes are a alot smaller (ask me how I know) and that would be alot of chrome, plus it looks chunky. For sure soemthing is wrong!! My guess would be the galley plug. Rather than using battery acid (sulfuric acid is hard to come by) use muratic acid (HCL). If it bubbles and dissolves to nothing then its chrome. At this point I would not ride/run it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well the bits aren't magnetic and the muriatic acid test showed alot of fizzle and dissolve. So I guess it's safe to assume that it is chrome... wow.. thats alot though huh? Is there a write up on how to visually inspect the rockers?

·
Registered
790 Posts
That's nasty. I almost puked hehe.
It's the first time I've seen a screen like that (I haven't searched or seen in person)
I'm not an expert at all but it doesn't look right. Hope you get it sorted out. Keep the thread updated.
Maybe you can take more focused photos.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Unless you personally have seen the screen yourself before, chances are this has never been touched. My guess is most shops just do the oil and filter and leave the screen alone.

They didn't inspect the rockers at the 6k service? Seems like you have a flaking rocker, but maybe it can wait until the next valve job.

Ew, maybe not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im beginning to think the 6000 service was "phantom". replaced the fuel filter today and it looks to have never been touched.. I was "guaranteed" the belts were replaced... better check em out.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
That's the best example I've ever seen of why the screen is there. Sorry you have something failing but just think how bad it would be if that shit was running around in the oil!
Yes, that is exactly why there is a screen. But, if there was not one, the stuff wouldn't be "running around in the oil" because the filter would trap it all and you'd never know until it was far too late.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
7615 miles... funny thing is, it seems to run good and strong. I was very satisfied with it, until I saw the screen of course. Hasnt been run since. But like I said runs great for a seriously unhealthy engine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts