Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here's an update on my Ducati 900ss ie racebike build.

Ohlins shock from Germany serviced and set up for my weight.

ST2/3 oil cooler, slightly larger volume, and mounted to a custom brakcet.

Scitsu tach, renthal bars, andreani fork cartridge kit.

Carbon front numberplate of unknown origin.

Bimota header and collector, Cone engineering muffler. Speedymoto timing belt "covers", EBC rotor, 999 caliper, and 16mm Brembo master. 1000ss ds rear swingarm.

Custom seat unit.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
... nice! ... I like your vision. :smile2:

What did it take to go to 7/8" handlebars?

Thanks.

EDIT: I also like the single front disc. Few others "approve" of it's use but single front discs have their merits. Especially with today's super duper hyper-bad-ass braking systems going single up front is worth a look. Good on ya! ... thumbs up!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Other than it's appearance/color, what advantage does the 999 front caliper offer over the stock one? They both seem to be 4 pot calipers.

:smile2:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 individual pads per caliper, vs. 2. In theory it means better pad/disc connection, and less likely to warp the disc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't been out to the track just yet. Want to get the fuelling set up better before I wring its neck. I have California Cycleworks pod filters on now, but after a chat with Mark Sutton at DucShop I have a velocity stack/foam filter option I want to try as well.
Hoping for August, family commitments in July.
Will keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
OK first I will agree it's ugly lol, But it's purpose built to race and work well not win a beauty contest, I race Vintage as well in AHRMA I run a 1972 BMW R75/5 in BEARS & Formula 750. I have the bike trimmed down to only what has to be there to make it work like I want it to---The only thing on my race bike that is there that is not needed is a front fender-it's aluminium and weigh's basically nothing. Race bikes are built to function and win races not to look pretty.

Reactions: ifly65

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
https://trickbitzltd.co.uk/product-category/universal-street-fighter-conversions/

I think you can find them on ebay as well. The 50mm conversion kit is what I got. Wished they had a fatbar option, but no go.
Thank you very much.

One last question ... without burdening you to actually get out a set of calipers to measure it, roughly how much fork must stick out of the top to accommodate those handlebar adapters? The web page you graciously provided doesn't seem to provide that information.

I believe my bike ('96 900SS/CR) calls for the front setup to have 14mm of fork tube above the upper triple clamp. I reckon I'd have to deal with the possibility of retrofitting longer wires, hydraulic lines, and so on due to the handlebars being higher. And that's ok with me.

Thanks again for the help.

And by the way, your bike is not ugly, it's a purpose built race bike ... it is what it is. A total lack of foofoo garbage, outfitted with only the necessary essentials. Form takes back seat to function. Beautiful in it's own minimal right.

Keep on keepin' on.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
addendum to my last posting:

I totally forgot about these until just now! There are these as well which may be used in conjunction with various adapters .. or .. on Ducatis that already use 7/8" bars. They offer fatbar and 7/8" bar risers, and some even have "anti-vibe" features. Many different configurations/heights to select from!

LINK = https://roxspeedfx.com/collections/adv-dual-sport-dirt-bike-handlebar-risers

The attached pics are only just a few of the many different sizes, styles, colors, heights, and configurations they offer, the linked webpage gives a look at pretty much all of them. Lifetime warranty. Made in USA.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you very much.

One last question ... without burdening you to actually get out a set of calipers to measure it, roughly how much fork must stick out of the top to accommodate those handlebar adapters? The web page you graciously provided doesn't seem to provide that information.

I believe my bike ('96 900SS/CR) calls for the front setup to have 14mm of fork tube above the upper triple clamp. I reckon I'd have to deal with the possibility of retrofitting longer wires, hydraulic lines, and so on due to the handlebars being higher. And that's ok with me.

Thanks again for the help.

And by the way, your bike is not ugly, it's a purpose built race bike ... it is what it is. A total lack of foofoo garbage, outfitted with only the necessary essentials. Form takes back seat to function. Beautiful in it's own minimal right.

Keep on keepin' on.

Clamps need a minimum of 1" (25mm) above the top triple. The nature of the later SS had the clipons above the triple clamp, so this was a simple swap over.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And thanks all for the compliments! Its weird, but cool nonetheless!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
All Race bikes are Ugly & Beautiful at the same time, They are built for one thing and one thing only -to be on the track and win, that is their sole reason for being. So get that bike on the track and see how she fairs -then change what does not work again -and again-and again and so on lol

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Haven't been out to the track just yet. Want to get the fuelling set up better before I wring its neck. I have California Cycleworks pod filters on now, but after a chat with Mark Sutton at DucShop I have a velocity stack/foam filter option I want to try as well.
Hoping for August, family commitments in July.
Will keep ya'll posted.
it'll make more power with a velocity stack of some sort. even if you get the rubber elbows from a 02> monster, sc, hm and stick them in that. it'll work better than any pods on the throttle bodies. original ssie rubber trumpets may work ok too, but they'll be hard to fit filters to.

2-2 exhaust will work better too.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
OK I know it's not a Ducati but this is my 1972 BMW R75/5 Race bike that I race in AHRMA

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts