Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you recall, I had the new 999s (only 130mi) that i bought from a dealer in texas. Had it shipped to Orlando. On my 1st ride home, the bike quits after 8 miles and has to be towed back to the local dealer.....They had the bike for 2 and a half weeks before they could tell me what the problem is.

Well, they called yesterday and told me "the engine was oil starved" and needs to be rebuilt. New cylinder heads, cams, cam shaft....!!! No warning lights were flashing and the oil level was full. They all say that they've never seen or heard of this happening.

I called the dealer in texas to let him know what I was told and also that I wanted a new bike. I paid 19k for this one. They sell them new for 23.9. I told them i would gladly pay the difference. That still leaves the shipping.

The dealer in tx is advanced motor sports...What do you guys think? anybody ever heard of this? Would you allow the bike to be fixed under warranty or insist on a new bike.....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my original post

Just bought a new (slightly used 130mi) 999s from a dealership in texas. "show room condition" Customer bought it, put 130 mi. on the bike and traded up for a 999R Xerox. I had the bike shipped to orlando, fl. It's a 2006 with full warrenty. I had it shipped to ducati dealer in orlando. On my gentle (getting used to my new bike) ride home, the thing just cut off on me 4 blocks from my house. Had to push it home. Had it towed back the shop where they have been working on it for about a weeek and still haven't figured out whats wrong with it......i'm sitting here getting an ulcer!! They say it's not the battery, immobilizer or starter......

Heeeelp!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Warranty means new engine for you..Thats what I would ask for..The chassis should still be good...You need a new motor.....And a new Tach since all the lights are on the instrument panel with the tach...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
mark_mtb said:
Warranty means new engine for you..Thats what I would ask for..The chassis should still be good...You need a new motor.....And a new Tach since all the lights are on the instrument panel with the tach...
Might have to fight for a warranty repair. IIRC, the warranty expressly exludes issues that were a result of "improper maintenance" or whatever the terminology is. I think lack of oil would fall into that category...unless there was oil in there and for some mechanical reason it wasn't getting to the engine parts. I wasn't clear from the post whether the engine was "oil starved" because of a mechanical issue or because there simply wasn't oil in it.

If it's the former, then yeah -- definitely a warranty fix. If the latter, you may have to brawl it out with the seller.

Good luck, Dude.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was not a lack of maitenance

The problem was in the upper cylinder heads according to the tech. The engine was full of oil and oil pressure was normal. Thats why the warning sensor did not go off. Something apparently gummed up the oil passages if that makes any sense.

The dealer in texas has not gotten back to me yet, but the shop in orlando has already ordered "all parts that contact oil to be replaced from DNA" Should be ready in less than a week.

The tech told me that if it was his bike, he'd just have it fixed instead of demanding a whole new bike. He tells me that the bike will be as good or better than new? He is a third party and has no vested interest in the bike since i didn't buy it from their shop.

I'd be interested in what you guys think..

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
bpad1 said:
"Oh gee whiz, Valued Customer BPAD1! We over here at Advanced Motorsports are shocked that this could happen. We appreciate your business and want to do whatever we can to make this right for you. We don't have a new comparable bike in stock right now, but there's this lovely 999R Xerox on the showroom floor that we will happily give to you at no additional charge. For your trouble, please take this set of Ducati-logo Oakley sunglasses and Suomy Extreme Corse helmet, autographed by Loris Capirossi."

Hey. Could happen. :abduct:

·
Registered
406 Posts
bpad1 said:
No warning lights were flashing and the oil level was full.
I think he established the oil was there. Just not circulating. I have heard of this once before. Ducati claimed the beads used to blast the engine castings clean were not sufficiently removed by the supplier.

At anyrate, the first warranty explaination involved simply rebuilding the engine. In this case, the forward cyl threw the con rod through the bottom of the cyl. (Saw it with my own eyes).

The rider works for a Duc shop in Plano TX. He was livid. In the end he says Ducati provided a new engine. I have not seen that with my own eyes, yet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I know that you are pissed but I think once the bike is fixed under warranty it will be all good. Just like a can, you just cant go and demand a new one. Dont work that way.
Have you tried contacting DucatiUSA and taking to them about the problem?

·
Registered
37 Posts
bpad1 said:
The problem was in the upper cylinder heads according to the tech. The engine was full of oil and oil pressure was normal. Thats why the warning sensor did not go off. Something apparently gummed up the oil passages if that makes any sense.

The dealer in texas has not gotten back to me yet, but the shop in orlando has already ordered "all parts that contact oil to be replaced from DNA" Should be ready in less than a week.

The tech told me that if it was his bike, he'd just have it fixed instead of demanding a whole new bike. He tells me that the bike will be as good or better than new? He is a third party and has no vested interest in the bike since i didn't buy it from their shop.

I would go with a warranty repair, but I would want to understand exactly what parts are being replaced and what the exact cause was. This is important in case of a future problem.

The real question is how did this problem originate? The bike could not have been ridden 130 miles prior to your ownership without oil to the head. Wonder why the prior owner wanted out of the bike? Everything points to prior owner or the resale dealer in Tx doing something that caused the problem. Wonder if low oil level would supply the rods and mains but starve the cams?

I suspect that the dealer doing the warranty repair will have to find the cause before reassembling the engine and trying to run it. To not know the cause is risky, but such risk would be on dealer, not on the consumer.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Is the VIN stamped on the engine? I don't know if Ducati or motorcycle manufacturers do that.

It could hurt resell value if VINs don't match. Just a thought.

If VINs aren't stamped then, I don't think getting a new engine is bad.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'd go for the rebuild, with the condition that to compensate me for my trouble the dealer will degree the cams, set the squish and do a custom fuel map on the dyno. That way I'd come out with a better engine.

This is fair. You just bought a new bike, and now you can't use it. The blown engine is part of the service history. DNA owes you something.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. Jeff Nash at Advanced Motor Sports assured me that all will be resolved to my satisfaction. I'll keep you posted....

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
bpad1 said:
Thanks for all the input. Jeff Nash at Advanced Motor Sports assured me that all will be resolved to my satisfaction. I'll keep you posted....
The Nash's are well known for their customer service.
Jeff will take care of you, rest assured.

AMS is top notch, and it is a shame more people don't have a dealer like them close by...

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Well, I'm deaf, thank god I don't live in Texas! ;) That sucks though...I've had varying experiences with dealers myself but unless it's something I can't handle I do all my work myself now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts