Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I figured I'd post here as well as the welcome page.

I'm a new owner of a used 2003 ST4S w/abs.

I've taken a 11 year hiatus from the land of two wheels and had it narrowed down to a VFR800, a bmw r1200r, and a sprint ST. My requirements were hard bags, abs, and I still wanted a little excitement when I twisted the throttle.

Main uses will be for commuting about 60 miles per day in Washington state.

Here are a few pictures.

14,000 on the odo. Both 12k and 6k were completed.

Bottom line is that the price was fair, and I sat on it, took it for a test drive and fell in love with the looks, the sound and the feel of the bike.

We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts. It's at the dealership now, as I'm waiting for them to open back up on Tuesday so I can get it home.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Great choice although your wallet might want to disagree , not due to reliability you understand but its just too tempting to 'improve' these bikes even though being pragmatic they dont really need it ! :) - Apart from Paul Gellers great headlight conversion if you want to go out at night at faster pace than a pushbike...........

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, part of the year my commute will start in the dark in the morning so I guess that may be me first mod to accomplish.

As far as the bike goes...10 years off of two wheels, so there won't be any performance gains I'll be looking for just yet.

I forgot what the rush felt like when riding, but until I feel 100% comfortable...this bike is just fine as it sits.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great choice although your wallet might want to disagree , not due to reliability you understand but its just too tempting to 'improve' these bikes even though being pragmatic they dont really need it ! :) - Apart from Paul Gellrers great headlight conversion if you want to out at night at faster pace than a pushbike...........
Can't believe you beat Bill to that!!!! lol...

·
7,733 Posts
Congrats and welcome. :) I doubt you'll be "looking back" at those other models you were looking at once you get settled in. :) You asked for it, you got it: "I still wanted a little excitement when I twisted the throttle."

And it's RED(!!)...good choice. :)

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
Everett Powersports had that beauty sitting around. Wow!

Welcome to the fun.

BTW, if you haven't noticed this area is chock full of ST riders for some reason.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everett Powersports had that beauty sitting around. Wow!

Welcome to the fun.

BTW, if you haven't noticed this area is chock full of ST riders for some reason.

Have a good one.
They had it for 2 days. I just happened upon it.

When I got there, there was someone just taking it on a test drive. He wanted to "talk to his wife." So...you snooze you lose.

And as for the Pacific NW, I think the bike just fits our riding habitat up here. A little mix of commuting, twisty mountain roads, crappy weather, etc.

Like I said, I wanted something for commuting from Auburn to Bellevue, but, when the time comes, I want to twist my wrist and go like hell. The ST fits that very well.

That....and come on....it's a Ducati...and it's red.

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
Nice work.

Yes it does. Me, it is just from Lynnwood to Totem Lake and grocery runs. The kids are really cramping up the weekends.

If you are going to do the maint work yourself, lemme know if you need anything.

Have a good one.

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
That's a dandy looking ST! Congratulations. Whatever you paid is a good price; these are classics now and have yet to be bettered. Enjoy the ride!

pg
DD

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome aboard! I just this season got the same bike in Brilliant Banana!

It's unmodded as of yet, but my Cycle Cat risers arrived last week. Sadly, one of them was the wrong fitment, so I'm waiting on the replacement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great choice! Just resist the temptation to replace perfectly good working parts with anodized or carbon ones that perform just as well UNTIL you replace that headlight with one from Paul at Ducati Designs. I had my friend lead on his VTX1300 through Sherman Pass in the fog at night as the stock Duc light is a weak point IMHO. Then a nice saddle (had both Sargent and Corbin, like the Corbin better) and then a slave cylinder to reduce lever effort. After you're riding in comfort now, go for the eye candy and tell your wallet to open wide.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yeah Buddy!!

Congrats Kool-aid! Very clean bike!,, love the tail cowl--nice touch! Have put 20k miles on St's over past 3yrs,,,,truly an amazing bike. Dep on your height,,u may wanna consider bar-risers/MY 03+ seat (can be found for $150)/and EBC HH pads(big improvement over stock,,,and cheap),,,,other than that set the sag and giddy-up!! Battey tender/electrical wire upgrade to address hard starting are only other things that come to mind. take off the bags...very diff and pricey to replace.

·
Still needs a life.
12,590 Posts
Can't believe you beat Bill to that!!!! lol...
Check the Rides Forum. I was riding down to Portland to meet up with PG and Mark Turbo when he posted up. I don't have access to the internet when I am out on the road like you high techie guys do.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/22-ride-tales/138539-st-madness-2012-a.html
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/22-ride-tales/138544-pgs-magical-mystery-dam-tour.html

Like others have said, get a Ducati Designs headlight before you spend $$$$ on things which don't add performance to the bike. You will need a new seat. Check out the '04 and later OEM seat or the Ducati Performance touring seat. You will also need a heavier rear spring if you plan on riding two up or weigh more than the mythical 160lb Italian rider.

I addressed the rear sprocket issue in your other thread.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the info.

I just had the local Ducati dealership replace my belts and fix a fuel line, so I'm on the road commuting as the weather hopefully stays dry.

The seat hasn't bothered me much but I haven't sat on it for any longer than about a 1 hour commute this past Friday.

I have some simple things to just figure out. He had a battery tender, I can see the wiring for that. As far as the accessory socket...the size seems too small for any 12 volt socket I'm used to.

Then there's this little phone cord piece that is wired with velcro right above where the ignition key sits.

Then there's the suspension set up. I don't know how big of a guy he was, but in the manual he high-lighted all of the factory info, so you know he was messing with it. Bottom line is that I will never do any two up stuff, and based on the seat cover, I doubt he did either. But I'm about 230...so yeah...I'm 1.5 times that mystical italian rider.

I've yet to be out at night, so I'll have to try it out first. Based on what everyone is telling me, the lighting will need to be changed. So, I guess that goes on the to-do list as well.

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
I've been getting along with the stock light all year 'round, but it could use some improvement.

These bike go like stink in the bad weather. The low end torque sends out very predicatble power. Don't fear the rain on your ST.

You can pick up a tender connector from either a place like South Sound BMW or online. It will have and SAE/tender connector on one end and the BMW/powerlet style on the other. You can charge the batt throught the seat power port.

Have a good one.

·
Still needs a life.
12,590 Posts
But I'm about 230...so yeah...I'm 1.5 times that mystical italian rider.

I've yet to be out at night, so I'll have to try it out first. Based on what everyone is telling me, the lighting will need to be changed. So, I guess that goes on the to-do list as well.
I weigh a little more than you. You definitely need a heavier rear spring.

Here is a comparison of your OEM light and the Ducati Designs light.
Ducati Designs, LLC - Ducati Designs, LLC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts