Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Thought I would chuck up a few photos of my new project. Ive pretty much wanted a 749 or 999 since they came out but never really loved all the extra injection, radiator etc. 2 valve motors are so nice and simple.

So my plan is to basically put my 900 motor and keihin flatside sides and a few other supersport bits into the 999 frame. Wheels suspension, fairings, tank will all be 999 and the 900 legendary ss motor with carbs. I get a carby 999 call me mad but I love the simplicity of carbs. I think muschi will agree with me

Only have the rear wheel,swingarm and frame at the moment next is front wheel and forks when funds recover. The only major problem I am facing is the rear swingarm mount as the superbike and supersport are different in diameters and mounting. I will get more photos up when I get progress done.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very cool. I've had a similar project in mind for quite a while. Waiting for funds to catch up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It appears you've already made your decision on which engine, but the 1000DS motor is generally acknowledged to be the best 2V.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
I get a carby 999 call me mad but I love the simplicity of carbs. I think muschi will agree with me
great project. :)

i love the 999 too, but get scared everytime i see
pictures of one with the fairings off - that looks like
a technological nightmare, like Han Solo's starship,
but not like a nice and clean classic motorcycle.

i suggest to buy a complete SS 1000 DS and have
it parted out to sell anything but the engine.
then buy a 999 and sell everything you don't need
from that.

that is about the only way i can think of, to keep
a project like this reasonable, the SS 1000 DS
parts like swingarm, wheels and Öhlins sell pretty well.

i won't say how many i have disassembled, because
i fear that could have hurt my karma already.

:abduct:

1000DS motor
have mine running with the two del'ortos since
about two weeks now, it runs great.
no legal plate yet, that will take some more time.

:)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the swingarm is a minor issue will have a play around to see which way I go
I like the 999 swingarm its nice n chunky

wrecked dukes are not cheap in AUS nor are complete ones, I would love to have the 1000ds motor but I already got the 900 it ended up being a nightmare to import thanks to quarintine (aresholes)

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
i do love the late 999 swingarm too, and the
900 cc engine is well worth putting into a light
custom bike anyway.

ducati part prices on ebay have gone down
significantly with the beginning of 2009, i
hope you can make any use of it.

cheers. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
price is going to be reasonable since I am using alot of parts from my current ss
All up should be 3 - 3.5ish which aint too bad. A decent 999 is till around 16mark so i get my cake and eat it too:D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont know if the cases are the same
i will modify so I can bolt any 900 motor if I happen to kill mine or maybe injection down the track

it will be a fun build

·
Registered
104 Posts
My guess would be that if Brad suggests the 748 cases they probably fit - he's pretty experienced. Sounds like an interesting project - unusual; we most often seem to hear of people putting the higher spec motors in SS frames. Keep us posted. TT

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quick update
I know its been a while im a busy person mainly kids mortgage and all the usaul shit that goes on.
I have been slowly getting more parts to build this bike and now have enough to make it a roller with some bling for the front end

If I get time on the weekend should be able to get it all done and post some new pics up, hopefully I get my front wheel back with tyre. Also have sold the old ss that cost me a small fortune. Was kinda the only way I could get around the other half with letting me spend more cash on the new girl.

Here is a quick pic of the old beast

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
could be my dream bike maybe you could start a business... especially with the 1000DS engine
I do like the single sided swing arm too....

·
Premium Member
684 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got to spend a little bit of time on the beast. I got the motor cut down and mounted the swingarm. Needs a very tiny bit of filling down but fits like it was meant to be there. Now the hardest part of the build is over save some money and buy the rest of the parts I need to get this thing running. Still could be a while as I have alot of things like house reno's going on.

this is where I have to cut the case left side

right side

you can see how much needs to be cut

this is the cutting discs I used very thin

first side cut

the casing was extra thick on this part so i used a grinding disc to finish slowly

swingarm bolted in place

another shot

my front end consists of 848 lower 999 upper 1198 showa adjustable forks gotta love the monoblock brakes and my rear wheel is 6inches wide. 200 rear tyre yeh baby. Before anyone comments I know the forks and mounted on the wrong side, waiting on headset bearings and tyre for my front wheel. Just using s/h tyre to get bike rolling and built then strip down for full rebuild.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
everything will be 999 only supersport part is the motor and chain lines up perfectly

·
Registered
396 Posts
Lookin good. You should just slap on a seat, clip ons and a front tire and call it good ;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it will be a naked going for streetfighter look. Alot is due to previous injury that i need to sit more upright. Going to spend good time on detail should look decent I have a Gsxr headlight to go on. Not sure on tail section yet if I go factory 999 or custom subframe. Exhaust will be under tail I like to get down on the turns and my last supersport used to scrape exhausts.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts