Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i loved my 99 90ssie but the riding position was torture.(i am an old guy).so i picked up this old carbie after a 6 month stint on a cbr 929.great bike but it wasn't a ducati. i can ride this bike all day. i was planning a fuel injection conversion but the fcr carbs are awesome and somehow get much better fuel mileage than the 900ie.what do you think?:D

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice ride,carbs

looks real nice, love the carbon. I am thinking about a carb update this winter, let me know what you come up with.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a black tank would look good.funny thing with ducati performance bodywork, none of the pieces match .the finish is a little different on each piece complete with pin holes. but it is really light!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
carbon tail

check with motowheels.i believe he can get the carbon bits made from the factory in italy.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Not sure why you'd sell your '99 SS and buy the older bike. No question the ergos on the newer machine need some work, but the fixes are well-known to anyone serious about improving the comfort level. So you gained comfort and lost handling and power. I won't get into appearance.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Not sure why you'd sell your '99 SS and buy the older bike. No question the ergos on the newer machine need some work, but the fixes are well-known to anyone serious about improving the comfort level. So you gained comfort and lost handling and power. I won't get into appearance.
He's happy. I think that's all that really matters.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
on my 99 i had ferraci bars and tried the corbin and sargent seat, found the stock seat best.tell me if i missed something because i want a 1000ss as a stablemate.this bike handles great.don't see any loss there. the fe with fcrs has noticeably more power to 7000 which is where i am 99% of the time. i personally think both models are beautiful.on a recent trip from taos to paonia co. i got a corrected.58-62 mpg.occasional triple digits and hauling ass through black canyon of the gunnisson.comfort was never an issue.:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Beautiful bike

I wouldn't touch it. The FCR's are IMHO the best option anyway. Also I like the carbon (pinholes and all) after all its about being light not pretty. I agree with you the carbie's have always been more comfortable and properly set up and tuned you aren't giving up as much as others would have you believe. Especially on the street

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah man! this is the ducati to have if you only have one imho. bt-016 bridgestones going on next week.they were awesome on my cbr, neutral predictable and rode really nice.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
on my 99 i had ferraci bars and tried the corbin and sargent seat, found the stock seat best.tell me if i missed something because i want a 1000ss as a stablemate.this bike handles great.don't see any loss there. the fe with fcrs has noticeably more power to 7000 which is where i am 99% of the time. i personally think both models are beautiful.on a recent trip from taos to paonia co. i got a corrected.58-62 mpg.occasional triple digits and hauling ass through black canyon of the gunnisson.comfort was never an issue.:D
The bikes aren't that much different in comfort once the handlebar mounts are changed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I love the hell out of the older 900ss machines, my 1994 is my "goto" machine all the time it seems. I never will understand "Carbon Fiber" though.....guess like everything, whatever floats your boat!:D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bikes aren't that much different in comfort once the handlebar mounts are changed.
have you ever sat on an older ss?the terblanche ss has the most radical riding position of any ducati of its era.much better for the track.lousy for the road. changing the angle of the bars does not make a sport tourer which the older model does surprisingly well.maybe your body contorts better than mine.:D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love the hell out of the older 900ss machines, my 1994 is my "goto" machine all the time it seems. I never will understand "Carbon Fiber" though.....guess like everything, whatever floats your boat!:D
i was never a fan of carbon fiber either.when i got this bike all i thought was this bike needs paint.however there is something about the rawness of carbon bodywork. thinking of picking up an ebay tank and strippingand polishing down to bare metal.there won't be a speck of paint on the whole bike:think:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts