Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I previously had a 02 998 biposto which I sold to my brother. While I restore my 888, I was scouring craigslist for a project and came across this 01 996 in NC. I immediately noticed the ohlins front forks, what appeared to be a 3 piece airbox of sort and a larger Silmoto exhaust. After talking to the seller, a deal was struck and I made plans to make the trip from the Tampa area to NC to pick it up. After a 10hr drive, the bike was just as described. It fired right up and the seller had the belts recently replaced. The fuel quick disconnects were replaced with all metal and the exhaust was measured and confirmed to be the full 54mm Silmoto system. The airbox is a 3 piece design, but not 100% carbon. The fairings are aftermarket fiberglass with a bellypan which will be listed for sale. When I pulled the tank to check the fuel disconnects, the inner fuel injectors were unplugged as part of the single injector chip modification.

The plan is to go through the bike and clean/replace/rebuild whatever is necessary to make it a semi-oem resto. The tail will have to be replaced as a large hole was drilled on both sides to install the hideous rear blinkers.

I'll be updating this thread as progress is made. Thanks guys and any help/input/advice is always appreciated!

Jared

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
As you say, ditch the glass faring. Airbox is a WSBK replica. If it fits and looks ok then leave it. From the pics it looks to be a tidy bike.:) Will be interesting to see what's under the panels.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
J, check your PM's...I've got some OEM fairings.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Congrats on the find!!! Please take pics of your progress. I'd love to follow along.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not too much of an update but it's something. Been busy with my 675R track bike and 888 restoration. I was able to mount the Ecu in the proper spot on the mono subframe and got the harness to fit without much fuss. Other than that, I did an oil change, put in a motobatt battery and took it out for a 100+ mile ride when we actually had some fall like weather. Still deciding what to do with the fairings.

Jared

Attachments

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
How did you like it on your ride?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nice find with all the goodies.

Do you have a thread for your 888 rebuild? I would be interested to see that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been enjoying the bike and took it for a ride yesterday. Decided to give her a bath and chain cleaning/lube. This morning I noticed the fuel pump would continually prime with the key on. Checked relays, wiring, tank wiring/lines etc. After some research, it seems like the consensus is a bad eprom. I have another single injector eprom coming in to test. Anyone have more insight about this? The bike was running great yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Been enjoying the bike and took it for a ride yesterday. Decided to give her a bath and chain cleaning/lube. This morning I noticed the fuel pump would continually prime with the key on. Checked relays, wiring, tank wiring/lines etc. After some research, it seems like the consensus is a bad eprom. I have another single injector eprom coming in to test. Anyone have more insight about this? The bike was running great yesterday.
Bike is lookin great. I like the cop car in the back ground, do they just wait for you to pull out of your drive? >:)

Sorry, I have no input about the eprom but I'm sure someone will chime in

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Have you lowered the rear purposely or did you get her that way?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bike is lookin great. I like the cop car in the back ground, do they just wait for you to pull out of your drive? >:)

Sorry, I have no input about the eprom but I'm sure someone will chime in
Considering its my cruiser, I usually don't have to worry about tickets >:)

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Nice! Just picked up a 01 996 myself love these bikes! IMHO the best looking Duc Superbikes ever!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Considering its my cruiser, I usually don't have to worry about tickets >:)
Well that explains it, you sound like a good friend to have :nerd: If you ever get up here on some curvy roads hit me up, sounds like you have some cool bikes in addition to this one

1 - 20 of 20 Posts