Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Ducati in 2008. It was a Monster 696, and I loved it. For some reason, I traded it in for a GT1000. After falling victim to the gas tank dilemma, I traded the GT in on a Streetfighter 1098. It was a great bike, but for some reason I traded it in on a BMW R1200R. That too was a great bike, but it was a little boring. I traded the R in on a BMW K1300s. The K was a fast bike, but had electrical problems. I just traded the K in in a Monster 1100 evo. Wow! I forgot how much fun it is to ride a bike! I think I just stepped off the new bike carousel!

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's funny cus after a year with my Evo I'm thinking about trading it in on a streetfighter 1098S. How do the two compare for you? I've ridden the streetfighter while the dealership was doing some warranty work on my bike,my biggest gripe was clutch pull was alot harder. But couldn't think of any other negatives. I really liked how much more refined the fueling felt compared to the Evo. Enjoy your new bike!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Your experiencing the difference between the rawer air cooled engine and the more refined 4 valve liquid cooled motor. I have both ( not the 1098 but the 996 which is less refined than the 1098 ). I love both, very different. The air cooled motor is far more first world war bi-plane and is just what a bike should feel like from the golden era. The 4 valve is a big, long legged , more refined ride which shares OEM similarities. Have both, they work on different days. Want a short blast then take the air cooled motor, more serious high speed riding take the water cooled engine. It's great having both.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Streetfighter 1098 wasn't an "S" model. The bike was wicked fast, and definitely "more refined" than the Monster 1100 EVO. A few things to consider: 1) The "S" model had much better shocks and better steering damper. All that brute force required better shocks. Definitely get an "S". 2) Call me crazy, and maybe it was just my sensitivity to the tank problem I experienced on the GT1000, but I think the tank on my Streetfighter was beginning to warp. If you search hard enough, I was not the only person to begin to see signs of tank deformity on the Streetfighter. 3) The dry clutch was very responsive, but tiresome in traffic.

All in all, the Streetfighter was a blast to ride and surprisingly comfortable. I should have never gotten rid of that bike.

Some reason, however, looking over the handle bars of the Monster, just seems like I'm closer to the road. Lastly, the Monster feels much lighter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts