Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am in Hawaii and anxiously waiting on my bike to be delivered on Thursday. I contacted the dealer to set-up service and ask how much everything was going to cost me. The bike is a 2008 1098S with just over 3,000 miles. The previous owner only had the 600 mile service done, so I inquired about changing the timing belts (due to age) and the service guy keeps coming back and telling me I basically need a 15K service. He says I need the valves adjusted and won't quote me of doing just the belts. $1,450 too. I asked about Ducati NA's mandated charges and he said, "well, that's what we charge." Any advice? BTW, he's the only dealer on the island...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being new to the Duc, there is a lot to take in. I had planned on changing the oil, coolant and brake fluid this weekend, myself. I wanted to get to know the bike for a little bit before I attempted the TB change.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Well don't tick off the only dealer on the island:D Since it's a new bike to you and you don't know if it was ridden hard or easy, maintained properly, etc. and even though it has only 3K, I would start off with a clean slate.
Get the belts done, valves checked, oil changed. Like the previous member said, bite the bullet. Also it will give you a chance to build a little rapport with the dealer.
The price sounds fair given he's the only game on the island. Is there another reputable Ducati repair business locally. Sometimes their labor rates are cheaper....but then again not sure if you still are under warranty.

·
9,757 Posts
In all honesty after 3k and only a 600 mile service all the bike needs is an oil change.

The valves are still in spec. The bike hasn't even been broken in fully.

The belts are still good too, but if you want peace of mind they're easy enough to replace on your own.

Save yourself some money and don't let the dealer scare 1500 bucks out of your pocket.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
In all honesty after 3k and only a 600 mile service all the bike needs is an oil change.

The belts are still good too, but if you want peace of mind they're easy enough to replace on your own.

Save yourself some money and don't let the dealer scare 1500 bucks out of your pocket.
Absolutely! $1500! This is what gives Ducati a bad name. Not Starbucks.

·
Registered
247 Posts

+1. Of course you don't want to piss off the only dealer on the island. On the other hand, this is just the beginning of your relationship with them so I'd think they'd be (somewhat) willing to work with you on this stuff. May help to call the mainland (LA?) to get some pricing to compare. Knowledge is power. GL!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
disagree with some of the advice. an 08 with only 3000 miles I'd probably do the belts just to be on safe side and probably overkill, but better that than six months later posting "I've broken a belt, what do I do?"

if you're reasonably mechanically inclined you can get tools for the belt change inexpensively at desmotimes.com

·
Registered
388 Posts
Take the 1500 and invest that into working on your own bike. Buy the belts, and head over to YouTube for videos on how to change the timing belt.

·
Bon Vivant
11,602 Posts
Change the oil and filter and take the bike in at 7500 for the belts...

If you really want new belts you can do it yourself and you don't even have to buy the tools:
tool rental

Personally I'm doing as much of my own work as I can. I just did fork seals on my SF and it was much easier than you might think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a similar experience with Ducati here when I tried to import an ST4s from the US into Canada a couple of years ago.

One of the Fed's requirements for importation is to submit a recall clearance letter, which must be from either the manufacturer or an authorized dealer. When I had to go through this process to import a Yamaha FZ1 a couple years prior to this, I just emailed Yamaha my request and they emailed one back to me the same day but when I tried to get one from Ducati, they said I had to get one from the dealer, who would only issue one as part of a $400 service (I still don't know what they actually did!). I wrote to Ducati about this and they gave me some bs line about transferring records, etc but my take on it is that they were trying to "encourage" prospective owners to buy from their Canadian dealers. The experience very nearly turned me off of ever buying another Ducati and it definitely turned me off of going to a dealer for servicing.

Ducati and their dealer had a perfect opportunity to welcome a new owner into the fold by a small gesture of goodwill in the form a free recall letter (after all, it only takes a few strokes on a keyboard to generate one) and perhaps the first service at a nominal charge. But instead they chose to screw me for all they could the first time I stepped foot into the dealership. I can see why they would try to dissuade Canadians from buying new bikes stateside but we're talking about an out of production model here!

I said a couple of paragraphs ago that I was "very nearly turned off of ever buying another Ducati" but I can't wait to take delivery of my "new" 998, which is in transit somewhere between Long Island, NY and my waiting arms. Here we go again...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I called back when they didn't get back to me and now they say they'll do the belts for $140 and the belt change for $153. They didn't explain the reasoning for the lower price, but I'm not complaining. I still want to learn as much as I can and eventually do my own belt changes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sounds like someone over there started to reevaluate their "customer service." Glad it worked out in your favor.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
336 Posts
I checked my valve clearance - well only on Vert. since mileage was just 2000 and bike an 06. The clearance was fine - I changed belts myself - youtube or CA cycleworks - desmotimes also great place to find info. I was also new to Ducati and will say the belts are a lot easier than you might think. Just do your research and take your time. Everyone has great input - congrats on your new Duc :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked my valve clearance - well only on Vert. since mileage was just 2000 and bike an 06. The clearance was fine - I changed belts myself - youtube or CA cycleworks - desmotimes also great place to find info. I was also new to Ducati and will say the belts are a lot easier than you might think. Just do your research and take your time. Everyone has great input - congrats on your new Duc :)
Thanks bro!

·
Premium Member
12,418 Posts
get you questions in your head first and ask how much and why,
Be willing to pay for what they do, if you do not want to do it.
Fluids changed ? do you know what to look for?
Are you somewhat handy?
What shape is the bike in how are the tires , a good indicator, Chain looks good is it really slack, has it ever been serviced and some dealers don't set up the bike from the get go (PDI)

The dealer MIGHT find something you may overlook...
Of course they will take all your money if you let them,
Keep getting educated AND spend wisely...

They would (MAY) gaurantee if you spent the big bucks , but you shouldn't have to at this low mileage...

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
South Seas off Nimitz highway? Still a Ducati dealer? Bought my first Ducati from them in 01. Brand new 900SSie. Went there for an estimate to have the 6K valve check done a year or so later. The "certified" mechanic walked around the bike for a few minuets with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth dropping ashes everywhere and finally proclaimed that the engine would have to come out to get to the valves... Couldn't say how much for sure until they got started. Right then and there, I decided to do the work myself and have been doing so since. Probably did me a favor in reality.

·
Premium Member
5,998 Posts
South Seas...The "certified" mechanic walked around the bike for a few minuets with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth dropping ashes everywhere and finally proclaimed that the engine would have to come out to get to the valves... Couldn't say how much for sure until they got started...
Ridiculous... and as CAlexio pointed out, shameful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts