Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my names Jack, I’m out on the east coast in the U.S.

First Ducati ever owned I bought this week,

Coming from dirt bikes since a kid
Pw-80 (Yamaha)
Kx-65 (Kawasaki)
Yz-80(Yamaha)
Yz-125 (Yamaha)

And a Aprilia SXV 450 back in 08’

My bros Harley’s
Soft tail
Dyna
Road king

Ural (recent purchase)
Gear up side car motorcycle

And my bros Duc 999R that he has never let me ride

Anyways

I bought my first Ducati, a new 18’ Hypermotard 939 this week, mainly because I’m a dirt biker and love the uprite position, birds beak look, power and components.
I currently only have 74 miles on it been doing suburban riding 0-65 and first problem I ran into was yesterday...

On a hot day I was runnning it steady 30mph down main road, all the sudden the bike shut off, slowed down and rear tire locked,

I pulled in the clutch, looked down saw oil light on rolled around the corner shut engine off and on...:confused:

The problem didn’t happen again and oil light went off on restart ( overheated :confused: possibly?)
I’m a little disappointed because the bikes 74 miles new. And tires shouldn’t lock!

I called my dealership in NYC and they said they know nothing about this issue (weirdly) and that I have to bring it in to let service tech look at it... :think:

anyone know what might of happened, I’m scared to bring it on the highway,:|

Besides the mishap that itched my OCD - is that I never drove a more exiting, enjoyable, nimble, powerful motorcycle - esp a 9K RPM bike (Need Termis) - WOW! I haven’t taken it past 6 but have 3/4 throttled it to 6, hopped some curbs on dead streets, got front wheel up 6-7 inches
0:) hit up Sport mode and played w the controls

I love the powerband, clutch and throttle response, esp the way this thing shifts (what a clutch) - tho I wish I can do something about the seat, 3 hours of riding put my back and butt into a sore pain.

Another thing

I would just like it an inch lower or half inch,
I’m 170 5’7’ I’m balanced well on both my toes but would like just that bit of center gravity... don’t know what these bikes come set up for (weight wise) stock.

Well Ducati NYC has been great to me and kind super service, great salesmens w experience, and super kind owner - my salesman Tony introduced me to everyone, discounted accessories or mainly apparel and delivered my bike np to NJ next day.

Let me know any tips answers or advice please!!! I love feedback 0:)

Kindly :smile2:
Jack

Enjoy your Ducs and safe riding! :nerd:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi my names Jack, I’m out on the east coast in the U.S.

First Ducati ever owned I bought this week,

Coming from dirt bikes since a kid
Pw-80 (Yamaha)
Kx-65 (Kawasaki)
Yz-80(Yamaha)
Yz-125 (Yamaha)

And a Aprilia SXV 450 back in 08’

My bros Harley’s
Soft tail
Dyna
Road king

Ural (recent purchase)
Gear up side car motorcycle

And my bros Duc 999R that he has never let me ride

Anyways

I bought my first Ducati, a new 18’ Hypermotard 939 this week, mainly because I’m a dirt biker and love the uprite position, birds beak look, power and components.
I currently only have 74 miles on it been doing suburban riding 0-65 and first problem I ran into was yesterday...

On a hot day I was runnning it steady 30mph down main road, all the sudden the bike shut off, slowed down and rear tire locked,

I pulled in the clutch, looked down saw oil light on rolled around the corner shut engine off and on...:confused:

The problem didn’t happen again and oil light went off on restart ( overheated :confused: possibly?)
I’m a little disappointed because the bikes 74 miles new. And tires shouldn’t lock!

I called my dealership in NYC and they said they know nothing about this issue (weirdly) and that I have to bring it in to let service tech look at it... :think:

anyone know what might of happened, I’m scared to bring it on the highway,:|

Besides the mishap that itched my OCD - is that I never drove a more exiting, enjoyable, nimble, powerful motorcycle - esp a 9K RPM bike (Need Termis) - WOW! I haven’t taken it past 6 but have 3/4 throttled it to 6, hopped some curbs on dead streets, got front wheel up 6-7 inches
0:) hit up Sport mode and played w the controls

I love the powerband, clutch and throttle response, esp the way this thing shifts (what a clutch) - tho I wish I can do something about the seat, 3 hours of riding put my back and butt into a sore pain.

Another thing

I would just like it an inch lower or half inch,
I’m 170 5’7’ I’m balanced well on both my toes but would like just that bit of center gravity... don’t know what these bikes come set up for (weight wise) stock.

Well Ducati NYC has been great to me and kind super service, great salesmens w experience, and super kind owner - my salesman Tony introduced me to everyone, discounted accessories or mainly apparel and delivered my bike np to NJ next day.

Let me know any tips answers or advice please!!! I love feedback 0:)

Kindly :smile2:
Jack

Enjoy your Ducs and safe riding! :nerd:

I think u should of stick with that Ural ?

·
Registered
406 Posts
The oil light probably came on because the engine stalled and the bike was essentially waiting to be restarted. You could check the level just to make sure.

At 30mph you shouldn't have been any higher than 2nd gear - probably why the wheels locked. The bike likes to be at 3 k- not much lower than 2.5 and then you're feathering the clutch. You might have just lugged it. Also check the chain adjustment - this can make the lugging worse if loose - sensitive on this bike.

As far as heat - don't know how hot it was, but my bike has never stalled. What did the temperature gauge say?

I've never had the overflow cannister on, but some say this can cause an issue. Had a friend with his still on the bike - never an issue.

Another thing to check is the routing of the fuel lines under the tank. If this is done wrong, the hose can kink, and stalling can occur.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts