Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a phone call from nichols ... they advised that the racing cams install went well, and according to dyno run, gained 5HP on top end (based on previous dyno run prior to racing cams install).

cams were set to "stock" degree settings, as according to bruce myers, degreeing the cams only provides increases when being installed in ported heads. as the heads on my hypertard are stock at present, we went with "stock" degree settings.

will pick up the bike tomorrow in am, and get a copy of the dyno run print out to post here.

ciao,
johnc

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Sweet! I like the cams but the biggest gain came from having the power commander mapped.

Cheers!

·
Registered
260 Posts
How was the rest of the powerband? Are the cams relatively mild that DP provides? Look forward to the dyno results...

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will know tomorrow once i pick the hypertard up.

i view dyno runs as simply a measurement tool, used when making mods ... as i don't "ride" on the dyno, i value actual riding on the track and road as the real measure of any mod.

that said, terblanche has advised that the race cams were actually supposed to be installed as "stock" from the factory ... but the production engineers overruled it, and instead installed milder cams. so, if this is true, my hypertard will now provide the power it was designed for.

more on this after i pick the hypertard up tomorrow.

ciao,
johnc

How was the rest of the powerband? Are the cams relatively mild that DP provides? Look forward to the dyno results...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Very interested to know how much they charged for the cam install? Also did you get the cam kit from them or from a 3rd person? While we are at it with all these questions, did you also install the DP cam chip? Or are you running some other type of programmer?

Sorry for all the ?'s.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interested to know how much they charged for the cam install?
will know tomorrow ... and will advise.

Also did you get the cam kit from them or from a 3rd person?
did not purchase the DP cam kit from them. purchased from other company.

While we are at it with all these questions, did you also install the DP cam chip?
have had the DP cams ecu installed for almost a year now ... have been using it with the termi 2-1 full system.

Or are you running some other type of programmer?
no other ecu or programming product.

Sorry for all the ?'s.
from one of my fav john candy movies, uncle buck:

Miles: Where do you live?
Buck: In the city.
Miles: You have a house?
Buck: Apartment.
Miles: Own or rent?
Buck: Rent.
Miles: What do you do for a living?
Buck: Lots of things.
Miles: Where's your office?
Buck: I don't have one.
Miles: How come?
Buck: I don't need one.
Miles: Where's your wife?
Buck: Don't have one.
Buck: It's a long story.
Miles: You have kids?
Buck: No I don't.
Buck: It's an even longer story.
Miles: Are you my Dad's brother?
Buck: What's your record for consecutive questions asked?
Miles: 38.
Buck: I'm your Dad's brother alright.
Miles: You have much more hair in your nose than my Dad.
Buck: How nice of you to notice.
Miles: I'm a kid - that's my job.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
dyno results ...

with DP race cams, SP race cams ECU and DP termi 2-1 full exhaust system, illustrated in dyno run chart with blue for HP and red for torque:

94 HP
75 ft-lbs torque

previous dyno run without DP race cams, but with DP race cams ECU and DP termi 2-1 full exhaust system, illustrated in dyno run chart with red for HP and blue for torque.

cost for installation and degreeing of DP race cams: $112.00 (1.5 hours shop time) ... note: had nichols install the DP race cams at same time as 15,000 mile service, so they already had removed all the plastics and fuel tank. if your going to have the DP race cams installed on their own, without a valve inspection service, expext a shop to bill more time, as getting to the cams requires a LOT of stuff to be removed and then replaced.

ride home analysis of dp race cams:
  • LOTS more power from 7,000 rpm up ... keeps pulling like a freight train compared to stock cams
  • the lessened HP below 7,000 rpm makes the power band more manageable imho ... should be better for maintenance throttle in mid corner, which should make the bike easier to ride faster

i will be installing a nichols lightened flywheel in the next round or upgrades ... this should allow the motor to spin up faster/quicker, which will improve any loss in low end/mid range that the race cams have induced.

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
dyno results ...

[*]the lessened HP below 7,000 rpm makes the power band more manageable imho ... should be better for maintenance throttle in mid corner, which should make the bike easier to ride faster
This is why I'm not doing the race cams. Less real world power in exchange for more top end. I rarely need the top end and don't find the power as is to be unmanageable.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is why I'm not doing the race cams. Less real world power in exchange for more top end. I rarely need the top end and don't find the power as is to be unmanageable.
understand ... and that's why it's cool that we can modify our hypertards as individually as we want to. :D

after another short run up in the hills here (still breaking in the new bridgestones that were installed at same time as the cams) ... the midrange drop in hp is not really felt in real world riding ... certainly not as much as appears on the dyno chart. that's why i really don't pay too much attention to dyno figures. i don't ride my bike on a dyno :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
That's probably true as it is typically TQ that has the most effect down low. HP doesn't tend to make itself most noticable until higher speeds.

I am still waiting to sell my KTM before I can by a Hyper, but the race cam is something I will probably do. Especially since I live in straight-azz Arizona.

Thanks for the comparo...

Dave

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just put the hyper dp cams in my sport 1000, and it seems to run smoother at lower rpms, and pull smoother when I try and acc. from 3000RPM. The best part is the sound difference when you nail it and get to hear it. It sounds absolutely awesome! Don't forget to plug in BOTH your coils if you do the install yourself.....It took me 1/2 day to figure that one out. Ran like crap with only one coil!

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
John, good info on the cam timing. That makes installing the cams much easier. Does Nichols' now do dynotuning/build custom PC maps?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John, good info on the cam timing. That makes installing the cams much easier. Does Nichols' now do dynotuning/build custom PC maps?
ciao peter -

prego. yes, nichols has been a certified dynotune tuning center for a little over a year now.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hyper cams

Well, I have been taking my bike to STT and Ducati track days. Still a novice at this but I have mananged to pick up my pace quite a bit.

Here is my take on the issue.

Stock hyper with Termi is fine for all applications and does just fine on the track.

Bike corners well and has good power out of the corners.

However, the bike only has 90hp and 75 ft lbs of torque. Dropping $600-$700 for a 5hp boost and a bit more throttle response is not going to overcome the power short comings. Most recent 600's are running 120hp and most liter bikes are over 150. No engineer here but I have to wonder how a the Hyper, which is a liter bike, is down so much. Air-cooled?

So, as much as I would like to increase the speed of the hyper by installing the cams, the hyper is still going to get smoked on the straights.

I still have a lot to learn but the more I get into this track day thing, I am realizing that I most likely need to pick up a 600 or 750 and learn to pass in the corners. I am fine in Novice and "maybe" into intermediate but there is no way I could run this bike in the "A" group.

If any of your run in A, please talk me out of my nasty thoughts of selling the hyper and picking up a sport bike.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I set mine at 112 LC and did not loose any bottom end with 5HP on top still. This was starting with our stacks and K&N pods (no airbox) DP 2 into 1 and ECU.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Did your top speed increased with the cams? Does anybody with the cams here have a sound clip? I hear that the engine sounds nice while idling.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, I have been taking my bike to STT and Ducati track days. Still a novice at this but I have mananged to pick up my pace quite a bit.

Stock hyper with Termi is fine for all applications and does just fine on the track.

However, the bike only has 90hp and 75 ft lbs of torque. Dropping $600-$700 for a 5hp boost and a bit more throttle response is not going to overcome the power short comings. Most recent 600's are running 120hp and most liter bikes are over 150. No engineer here but I have to wonder how a the Hyper, which is a liter bike, is down so much. Air-cooled?

So, as much as I would like to increase the speed of the hyper by installing the cams, the hyper is still going to get smoked on the straights.

I still have a lot to learn but the more I get into this track day thing, I am realizing that I most likely need to pick up a 600 or 750 and learn to pass in the corners. I am fine in Novice and "maybe" into intermediate but there is no way I could run this bike in the "A" group.

If any of your run in A, please talk me out of my nasty thoughts of selling the hyper and picking up a sport bike.
How long is the straight? The Hyper does just fine in the intermediate group on both tracks at New Jersey Motorsports Park. I have a Hyper S model with DP 2:1 race pipe and ecu. I am in the intermediate group but I wouldn't hesistate to run the Hyper in the advanced group when I get there! As you know, the keys to track riding are hitting your apex and getting a good drive off the apex. If you're drag racing a 600, you'll probably get beat but if you get a better drive off the corner, you pass him/her with ease. This is where the twins seems to flourish because they can typically put the power down faster than the fours.

·
Registered
541 Posts

The hyper engine Is not a 4 valve engine like the 600s and 1000 cc bikes. They do extract more power from a water cooled bike, because of the tolerance is closer. You see can see the chart that johnchypermotard posted the torque numbers are up there with the inline 4 1000 cc bikes. Ducati wins races in world superbike because of its torque advantages that his over the inline fours. Its all about exeting acceleration of the turn.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts