Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fail.....

Handguards missing bolts and left side handguard bracket broken where it mounts to handlebars.. Also left rear side piece that covers exhaust broke where the tab is just below the seat... Will get pics on here tomorrow... :think:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've lost the bolts on the handguard twice. It's obvious as the mirror shakes violently. No damage though.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
ever heard of preventative maintenance? :think:

try checking tightness on bolts and nuts every now and then, and perhaps shit will not fall off (as often). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
well i needed to tighten my oil filter a full turn lastnight as i noticed it dripping oil when i was filling up

oh and the other week the bolt that the shift lever rotates on decided to totally come loose

%&@%$&[email protected]%^$%^

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ever heard of preventative maintenance?
Of course, change the oil every 3k and the blinker fluid every 8k....

I use a bit of Locktite so I dont have to worry about it anymore.....
:)
They should have given me a bottle with my purchase....

You should buy a high performance single cylinder motard and then come back tell us about it... ;)
Not sure what high performance is but I had a DRZ400 prior to my Duc and it wasn't this bad...

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Instead of just standing there in the garage lusting at the beast ,grab a hand full of whenches and go over it ,get to know what wrench fits what, Don't be afraid to take things off and apart at your own pace. I siliconed the Exhaust Joints to stop it weeping the soot every where. It took me an hour to figgure out how to get the red cover off the hyper tail light! Checked the manual couldn't find anything, Got out the inspection mirror (invaluable tool) for the advanced deteriorating eyesight, and the flash light and lo and behold wah lah! CONFESSION: I'm colour blind and Mildly dsylexic .... You should see me attempt wiring its, painful and takes me three times as long to do as it should.. If you take it off put parts in order or take pics ...Regular maintenance good Bad Weather job...Thats part of the fun of it all..

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Not sure what high performance is but I had a DRZ400 prior to my Duc and it wasn't this bad...
The DR-Z isn't high performance. Low-medium performance at best. But I do love mine. I kept my DR-Z 400SM so I'd have something to ride when the Duc is in the shop or missing important parts that vibrated off.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Typical euro bike, you need to go over it carefully and often. I don't even ride a new euro dirt bike before going through everything. As many loose parts as you find, you will find others that are just stupid tight, like the lower triple clamps (bad). Do as Scott said and get familiar with the bike. So far my Hyper has been completely apart except for the motor has not been removed from the frame.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
... or bolts that are over tightened and spin their retainers like on my air box and fuel tank. Had to have both replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My airbox inserts spun too, just fixed it myself. Antiseize any bolt that threads into an insert in plastic, do this when new before they corrode. Also do this with frequently removed fasteners and most aluminum threads. Loctite the rest, nothing should go together dry. I found my bike was assembled well with generous amounts of loctite and moly grease/antiseize where appropriate. The biggest problem being some of the button head fasteners are prone to stripping upon first removal due to over tightening and loctite.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Loctite everything but any WELL NUTS! on the lower front nose fairing, or the 2 bottom wellnuts of the 749/999 if u do they will spin and spin and never come off! the blue loctite stick works the best.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Typical euro bike, you need to go over it carefully and often. I don't even ride a new euro dirt bike before going through everything. As many loose parts as you find, you will find others that are just stupid tight, like the lower triple clamps (bad). Do as Scott said and get familiar with the bike. So far my Hyper has been completely apart except for the motor has not been removed from the frame.
So true. Both Ducatis I've owned have had issues with fasteners loosening from vibration but the Hyper has fewer than my GT did when it was new. A good rule of thumb for me is to check fasteners whenever I clean and lube the chain. Plus, I always have the most common wrench sizes on board for any ride over a half hour.

If you actually lose some fasteners you can typically find replacements at any good Ace hardware. It's always wise to buy a couple of extra ones whenever you need a replacement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts