Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two and a half years ago at age 52 I returned to motorcycles. My previous riding experience was logging a mere 15,000 miles over ten years or so on a Yamaha 400cc cruiser (XS400H). I bought it in 1981 and sold it in 1995. Marriage, kids...you know the story.

The spark rekindled in 2007. Perhaps predictably given my age and cruiser history, I went with a Sport Touring bike. I had a friend who liked Ducati's and had read a few reviews, so I went with an ST3 which I bought new. Yet I found I kept taking it toward the "S" and away from the "T." So in 2008 I picked up a 2004 999 with a shocking 439 miles on the clock. Track days have only compounded the fun.

Yesterday I picked up an 1198S. I've only had time to ride it home from the dealer.

I'll be selling one or both of my other Ducatis to make room for the new bike (due to a combination of physical, logical, and financial reasons), but for now I just love to open my garage door.

(If you look closely you'll also see my Honda Mini-Trail 50; every bike in my .sig is in that picture!)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think I just wet myself a little.

Congrats on a really nice collection!

(When can I come visit? Will you pick me up at the airport?) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
No doubt you're the man!
Just don't make the mistake of test riding the Streetfighter, you'll end up with one of those too, guaranteed!
Cheers!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Boy, going from a 400cc, to three Ducs, most everyone's dream garage, the best parts of history, 999, ST3, 1198s. Congrats, and have fun!

·
Registered
126 Posts
My wife says all you need is a rocking chair or a recliner to sit and just stare.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice Z50A k2 but are you sure its a 1970 and not a 1971. I believe the 1970 models were only in blue and red. Pretty sure the Orange was only offered in 71. Sweet mini though.

B

·
Registered
339 Posts
Haha, I know this sickness myself and it's pretty contagious as a couple of my friends already followed my example of filling the garage with various bikes. Maintaining several bikes could be a pain in the ass sometimes, but I enjoy every second of it. We are looking for a house right now and one of my requirements is BIG garage :D

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Congrad's on the new 1198 and very nice garage. If you can keep 2 bikes I would keep the ST3 for comfort and cruising and sell the 999 since you already have a new 1198. Best of luck with your new ride!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sweet!! A person just can't have too many motorcycles, especially Ducatis!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice Z50A k2 but are you sure its a 1970 and not a 1971. I believe the 1970 models were only in blue and red. Pretty sure the Orange was only offered in 71. Sweet mini though.

B
It's definitely a 1970 and I believe a K1 with a Honda 90 carb and special manifold. It was originally yellow (blue and red were the other colors). Back then a friend had a brochure that showed an orange version that we thought looked great (though I don't think this version was ever sold in orange) so when I "restored" it I decided to go with orange. Lately I've wondered if I should make it a mini Repsol replica!

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's definitely a 1970 and I believe a K1 with a Honda 90 carb and special manifold. It was originally yellow (blue and red were the other colors). Back then a friend had a brochure that showed an orange version that we thought looked great (though I don't think this version was ever sold in orange) so when I "restored" it I decided to go with orange. Lately I've wondered if I should make it a mini Repsol replica!

Ahhh that's what threw me off, That is for sure a K1 as its got the hand brake and no foot brake. Nice restoration and makes for a interesting K1 as it never came in that color. I say since its not a points restoration go custom with it and have fun.

I'm working on a mixed matched custom K1/K2 at the moment with a 12volt way over square 54mm bore to make it into a high reving 95cc with a 4 speed from a modern monkey. I sourced a head from a Thai 110 scooter thats got bigger valves and ported and lightened just about everything i could.

Lots of hand fabricated parts that ive done have gone into it including the fender and tank. Its been a pet project of mine for a few years now and im getting pretty close to finished at this point i need to finish the wiring harness and its done.

Here is a older pic of the project when it was still built on the K1 frame.

I got all crazy with it when i got the K2 frame and smoothed out all the welds, even on the forks where i adapted some RD350 headlight ears to them. close up there none of the welds show. here is the K2 frame after i finished painting it.

The whole idea on the project when i saw a really clean custom cruser at a show and it was just so clean. No cables showing, everything was smooth and refinded. I wanted to emulate it with a mini. So decided to build it. Ok last shot i promise, no more thread jacking, i just get excited when i see someone else has one. the old mini trails are still my favorite bikes to ride. There is just something stupid fun about them.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
Nice. Like the Kendon trailer against the wall too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm working on a mixed matched custom K1/K2 at the moment with a 12volt way over square 54mm bore to make it into a high reving 95cc with a 4 speed from a modern monkey. I sourced a head from a Thai 110 scooter thats got bigger valves and ported and lightened just about everything i could.
the old mini trails are still my favorite bikes to ride. There is just something stupid fun about them.
Very nice...I used to dream of dropping a bigger engine into one of those frames. I'm just happy mine still runs. And you are right...tons of fun!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice. Like the Kendon trailer against the wall too.
The Kendon was a perfect solution for my needs. We needed to keep two cars (and two Ducatis) in the garage...but I had a spare truck (my bike hauler for the track) getting in the way of everything else. Sold the truck and used the proceeds to buy the used Kendon single which could fit in the garage along with the two bikes and two cars.

I'm very happy with it, though, as others have pointed out, the wheel chock isn't the greatest. It holds up the 999 only marginally, but long enough to get the tie downs on at least. Haven't tried it with the ST3 yet.

Loading/unloading is certainly a snap.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts