Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I hate to agree with everyone else but I do . I do not remember EVER seeing a steel Ducati tank that full of holes and I have a history of soaking tanks in acid before coating them. Rarely do I see a pin hole those holes are HUGE!

Finding a better tank will be where you want to go. Even a dented tank will work and may be the best option. Find a mildly dented tank and have it repaired, while repairing have the tank hinge plate welded as well and you will likely have no issues going forward. You may put a want to buy on this site but your tank is one of the most sought after (if not THE most) because it is the tank plastic tank monsters also are looking for.
Are there any compatible tanks i can try and find?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Some of those holes looked like they were drilled. That tank can be fixed. Yes, look around for another, but a decent metal guy could fix that thing.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
Look at your fuel cap area, make sure the hole size is that big. That rules out the carbureted tanks.
Look at the ignition switch area immobilizer bikes like yours needs a larger cut out for this area.
Look at the bottom of the tank where your battery fits, you need room for a laydown battery.

M620, M800,M900,M1000,S4,S4r steel tanks should all fit as long as they fit the criteria above. If you buy a 2003 and newer steel tank you should be fine. Know that some 4-valve tanks may have more room underneath for the larger head which will mean less fuel capacity if that matters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Some of those holes looked like they were drilled. That tank can be fixed. Yes, look around for another, but a decent metal guy could fix that thing.
The whole flat patch was rusty as hell, I had it soaking in evapo rust then noticed a small hole so I was going to patch it so I could soak it in vinegar. Started sanding around the hole and I guess the rust inside started showing more holes so I kept sanding and more bigger holes revealed themselves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Look at your fuel cap area, make sure the hole size is that big. That rules out the carbureted tanks.
Look at the ignition switch area immobilizer bikes like yours needs a larger cut out for this area.
Look at the bottom of the tank where your battery fits, you need room for a laydown battery.

M620, M800,M900,M1000,S4,S4r steel tanks should all fit as long as they fit the criteria above. If you buy a 2003 and newer steel tank you should be fine. Know that some 4-valve tanks may have more room underneath for the larger head which will mean less fuel capacity if that matters.
It is fuel injected, has the immobilizer, and the fuel pump is inside the tank where i have to reach inside and pull it out the top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was stripping some rust from the tank and found some holes! Weighing if I should salvage or start looking for another tank. Its also leaking around the seat hinge. View attachment 995070
Yeah mine had the seat hinge leak too, no rust though. I used Red Kite tank sealer. Worked really well, but some holes are just too big, clean, clean the tank out really good. Get a good strong alkaline hot cleaner, and a bunch of nuts and bolts and shake it up to really clean the tank and knock the rust off. Let it dry a day and add the RedKote and wait a day to dry. You can use on rust. Seals that off from further rust. Prep is the key!!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pussies!!!
Strip it out, file back to fully clean metal every possible hole, braze hinge on properly and plate over and braze up all the holes. If sides are OK then preserve the paint with a wet towel in a shallow water dish, or just suck it up and repaint the tank. Temporarily block holes, but bunch of gravel in there and some water, shake well to remove all loose crud inside, hose until clean, sun dry, put a decent tank liner in it and paint all the repairs, using a decent etch primer.

Simple. So put yer OMG's back in the box, fix it properly, and go ride the tits off the sucker! Seriously, it is what I would do and the repair would last for decades. Other options look like too much trouble....

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Other options look like too much trouble....
This sounds like a lot of work too. The only thing that would not be is to find an OEM replacement in good condition.
Then you're talking $$$$ I guess. If you can find one.

Good luck, OP.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts