Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was stripping some rust from the tank and found some holes! Weighing if I should salvage or start looking for another tank. Its also leaking around the seat hinge.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
find out how much a good tank is going to cost you. repairing what you have might not look so uneconomic then.
you could do a good rust treatment them line it and tape over the outside to hold the liner kit in. seen that done before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
find out how much a good tank is going to cost you. repairing what you have might not look so uneconomic then.
you could do a good rust treatment them line it and tape over the outside to hold the liner kit in. seen that done before.
I am seeing anywhere from $500-$1000 most of that is shipping included, I was thinking of having it blasted or something the rust on the back end of the tank by the seat hinge is where its really bad.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
That's the last thing you want to fail while you are riding.
Well, one of them anyway. Replace might be safer.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Consider a good repair as a back up plan, but some type of replacement would be best. You might find an acceptable solution in your price range.

·
Registered
191 Posts
See those blisters on the bottom right side? Give them a good poke with an awl or a nail. I'm betting its going through<sorry!>. A good panel beater can fix this, BUT, it'll get spendy. Best to give your local salvage yard a call or sift around on auction sites. Given your avatar picture, I assume you're kinda anti-fire.
Good luck.

If, of course, that's gasoline pouring out in your picture, a BRASS awl is best.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
77 Posts
If it were me, I would go the por15 route with the tape over the holes, then epoxy over those spots. If you do it well, you should be fine.
Then I would start looking for a tank within your price range.

I actually have two spares from an old s4r I ended up selling, but one needs the metal treatment.

Id def be interested in selling, but I’m not sure what kind of condition you’re looking for.

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
Leaks at the hinge plate is not uncommon, They are easily fixed. The holes are a bigger issue but likewise can be repaired, the question becomes can you do better buying a replacement tank. Remind us again what your bike is year and model as there are 3 or 4 different steel tanks, some are easier to find than others. I would start with seeing whats available and then who you have to repair your existing tank.

I am NOT a fan of sealers and would prefer any holes brazed or welded closed over a liner as our ever changing fuels have ruined about every one out there. you will not want to get a tank in nice (paint) shape only to have to risk the paint with harsh chemicals later. Dented steel tanks are repairable but if dented expect a hinge leak if not now ..sometime. Once the hinge plate is welded/brazed fully you will be much less prone to the issue.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
77 Posts
Leaks at the hinge plate is not uncommon, They are easily fixed. The holes are a bigger issue but likewise can be repaired, the question becomes can you do better buying a replacement tank. Remind us again what your bike is year and model as there are 3 or 4 different steel tanks, some are easier to find than others. I would start with seeing whats available and then who you have to repair your existing tank.

I am NOT a fan of sealers and would prefer any holes brazed or welded closed over a liner as our ever changing fuels have ruined about every one out there. you will not want to get a tank in nice (paint) shape only to have to risk the paint with harsh chemicals later. Dented steel tanks are repairable but if dented expect a hinge leak if not now ..sometime. Once the hinge plate is welded/brazed fully you will be much less prone to the issue.
Hey ducvet,

just curious, have you ever seen por 15 fail? I always recommend that because I have never heard of any issues as long as it is done EXACTLY as directed.

again, just curious. And this question just pertains to metal tanks. The bikes that take up my time have plastic tanks and I just deal with the expansion, but I have a 748 tank waiting for some por 15.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you don't want to bother attempting it yourself, Fuel Tank Services can fix that tank. I would at least call them. I had a MHR tank cleaned and sealed by them about 10 yrs ago and they did w/o affecting the paint and the inside of the tank is still perfect. They use a proprietary coating and will not divulge what it is. I have also had a few other tanks done by them. The service is not cheap these days however, probably about $500 and for yours, probably more.
Saving that, I agree with the brazing idea and I feel that a chemical coating to close a hole won't last for long and you'll always be worrying about it. Welding is an option also. Since you're already had water in it, the tank is probably safe enough for heat. But I would let the tank sit for a few months and if you can smell gas, it's not ready for heat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well kalyx was 100% right boy did I hit a gold mine of holes i will put a picture up later but I believe this tank is done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

2003 620 dark ie i will post pics of the tank

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it were me, I would go the por15 route with the tape over the holes, then epoxy over those spots. If you do it well, you should be fine.
Then I would start looking for a tank within your price range.

I actually have two spares from an old s4r I ended up selling, but one needs the metal treatment.

Id def be interested in selling, but I’m not sure what kind of condition you’re looking for.
This isn't something I need right away this is more of a winter project I just don't have the means to weld the holes up, plus not sure how lines inside are.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Trying some jbweld just so I can let the tank soak in vinegar to uncover more holes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ho-lee Shiet! that sucks to find so soon after getting your first Ducati (Im assuming since you joined 11 days ago) I hope you get it back up and running soon!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ho-lee Shiet! that sucks to find so soon after getting your first Ducati (Im assuming since you joined 11 days ago) I hope you get it back up and running soon!
No big deal this was a super cheap purchased it looking for a project

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
F.U.B.A.R. thats all I can say lol

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
I hate to agree with everyone else but I do . I do not remember EVER seeing a steel Ducati tank that full of holes and I have a history of soaking tanks in acid before coating them. Rarely do I see a pin hole those holes are HUGE!

Finding a better tank will be where you want to go. Even a dented tank will work and may be the best option. Find a mildly dented tank and have it repaired, while repairing have the tank hinge plate welded as well and you will likely have no issues going forward. You may put a want to buy on this site but your tank is one of the most sought after (if not THE most) because it is the tank plastic tank monsters also are looking for.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts