Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It looks like this one is heading to the dealership tomorrow. I took a 80 mile run through some local country roads. Great time, the bike ran great until I stopped at a local coffee shop for a break. After 20min and a coffee I tried to start it and wouldn't crank for more than 1-2 seconds before giving up. The dash showed 11.1 volts. My question is, this there a way to tell if the strator is gone or if the battery is the culprit?

I have not taking the bike in for the charging system recall...

UPDATE: I just left the bike on the charger to a few hours, before starting the bike it shows 11.3v once the engine is running goes up and stays at 13.6v.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You need a new battery. 13.6 volts while running indicates your charging system is fine.

Just to be sure, disconnect the battery and charge it again. After it is fully charged, take it off the charger, leave it disconnected and let it sit for a day or so and see if it retains it's charge.

That way you can be sure it isn't something electrical on the bike allowing a path to ground thereby discharging it.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
What ductune said...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's what I was thinking, the next question is, is the battery covered under warranty? the bike is 8 months old.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Your battery should be covered....but you'll need to bring the whole bike in.....if you pull it out and bring it in, who's to say it wasnt from a different bike......I would do the test and find out for sure then put it back in the bike and bring the whole thing back and tell them what you found out!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the replies, I will give them a call tomorrow. The problem around here is that the dealer that services my bike is always busy. Last time I called for an oils change, they could fit me in for two weeks.
If this is the case again, I will just buy a new battery.
I am trailing the bike to Indianapolis later this month. I want to make sure the bike is ready to ride and not sitting in the back of the dealership's shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts