Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know where to post this, so I figured this is as good as any. I had a couple used bikes in the late 60s, one a 650 BSA, but later on I wanted a new bike, more reliable so a buddy and I went out one day to look at new bikes. The 750 Honda was on the scene, the 650 Triumph was still very much sought after, unfortunately I couldn't afford them, so I settled on a new 450 Honda. It had the double overhead cams and actually it was quite fast, I had it up to 120mph on the Great Highway in San Francisco and it could easily pop a nice wheelie shifting from first to second gear. The bike really grew on me and I had a lot of fun with it, but eventually I sold it to a neighbor friend who recently sent me the below picture. Brought back some great memories.

Looking at it now it still maintains a contemporary look and the red metallic paint and gold stripping was awesome, rare that red and gold blended, but I believe the almost metalflake red paint made the colors work. It was a 1971 year model and I recall it cost $950 out the door.

Attachments

·
Señor Member
8,237 Posts
I learned to ride on an early '70's Honda 350 my brother owned. I'd love to find one now in good condition.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I'm a bit younger than some, but not by much, my first few bikes were definitely keepers, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
The RD250LC, was followed by the RZ350LC, then the 500, my Ducati ST was my first 4 stroke.

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first bike was very similar to that one (yours appears to be a CL450 ["scrambler"], and mine was a 1971 CB450 in the same color. The paint and chrome were gorgeous. And that thing would rev!

Love the looks of the old ones, but new bikes (and cars) are so technically superior it's not funny.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
My first bike...

I had ridden a friends Honda 80 and a Husky of unknown displacement over a period of several years leading up to when I got the RM-125 in 1975. It would be years before I ever rode a street bike... my first ride was again, on a friends Honda, this time a CB-350, and I believe it was 1978. The first street bike I owned was a 1981 GS-650EX...

I could not have asked for a better bike for learning the ropes on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
In my youth I lusted after the Honda 450. To me, it was everything and then some in the motorcycling world and I could not have imagined owning anything other than this model:

Alas, it was not to be. My first bike was a used '67 Kawasaki 120cc street/trail bike (in today's world it would be called a dual purpose bike) that popped my cherry. :)

Although I never had a chance to ride a 450, the bike's always had a special place in my heart.

·
Registered
560 Posts
My first new bike was a Kawasaki Ninja 600. I think it was an '85? This was the model that had 16's front and rear, they weren't in the states yet, ordered after looking at the full page ad in Cycle. What a great bike, it was timely because Michelin just released the "Hi Sports" radial tires. Rode the hell out of that bike (mine was the red and black variety) It was one of the first 5 or so to have made it to the Rock store. I remember how special I felt there for the first few weekends!

Great memories!

·
Bon Vivant
10,962 Posts
My first new bike was my first bike. I was 10 years old and would have been ecstatic to get any old used minibike. I don't know why but my dad showed up one day with a new Honda QA50. I think he just liked shopping and buying stuff like that. (This is not the pic of my bike - just one I found online.)

I'm not sure why but all of the QA's online seem to have a doppy sticker on the rear fender that mine did not have and mine had wheels that matched the dark silver frame color - not white wheels.

·
Super Moderator
5,124 Posts
First new bike. :think: You know, I've never bought a new bike. I think I should change that!

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
funny, I've only bought 3 new bikes in the last 46 years.

A new '70 Yamaha AT1

My '87 750 F1B (really a left over '86 they titled as an '87)

And a '97 TL1000S

All the other bikes have been used.

Like I said, funny...

·
Registered
278 Posts
First new bike purchase, and only. Also my first bike. 1982 Virago 750.
What a small world I bought a 82 virago also but it wasn't my first new that was a 76 Honda 400F super-duper. I got so many tickets on it my Dad made me sell it, one was 92 in a school zone ouch. The other new bike I remember was a Honda XL 350 when I turned18, can do what I want right, wrong still under my dad's roof, had to sell that to.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
The other new bike I remember was a Honda XL 350 when I turned18, can do what I want right, wrong still under my dad's roof, had to sell that to.
That's funny. I bought my 125 AT1 in '70 when I was 18. My parents were away on vacation, so I picked it up the day after they left. My brother (16) ran out and bought a used Suzuki 250 Hustler. That didn't go over well. The crap really hit the fan when they got back.

I got to keep mine, but my brother had to get rid of the Suzuki. Man, was it quick! :D

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have an AT-1 cylinder and head in my basement, no bike unfortunately.

·
Official Retired Person
7,385 Posts
My first new bike was a 1995 BMW R1100RS. I still have it in the garage, too!

I've bought several 2 or 3 year old bikes from people and most of my first bikes didn't run when I bought them. I think the first 4 bikes I bought were not even in assembled when I bought them!

·
Registered
31 Posts
My first new bike was a Honda too actually, an F4i. Was my first street bike also actually. In fact it seems motorcycle culture is such that buying a new bike in the fall will be a great way to get a good machine at a good price... bought a 2014 KTM the same way at an amazing price!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts