Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend is Memorial day and like all great holidays we in the military get long weekends. So this 4 day weekend I am going to take my first long ride. I plan on doing 250-300 miles a day (does that sound overkill?).

I recently installed a cigarette power source to power my navi that will ride in my tank bag. I had put it on to charge my cell phone during bike meets but this is a good use too.

Riding my 09 M1100 I will leave out on Friday from Wiesbaden heading first to Ducati Bad Kreutznach to look into getting some nuts and bolts that I noticed missing. From there I will head through Luxumburg into Belgium and I plan on making it most of the way to Brussels before night.

The next day I plan on making it to the coast and then heading south towards Normandy and Omaha beaches in that area and then stay the night.

Sunday I would head back through the area north of Paris and find a place to crash and then roll back home on Monday.

So with that said, should I plan hotels and reserve rooms? What if my ambitions are to high or I just decide to turn a dif way. I know the benifits of reserving a room but what about the just winging it part.

Any help would be awesome. Also what other suggestions might you hvae for something like this? Total distance is about 1400km ... around 800 miles or so.

Thanks Rich

·
Registered
131 Posts
Forward plannig is good especially if there is a crowd or its a busy tourist time of year. If its just you it is good to be very flexible and go where the bike wants to take you. That means you might take some detours, stop longer or shorter at preplanned spots. Rather than get in a dither regarding time lines and schedules, I believe a real bike trip starts with a loose outline and you fill in the blancs as and where ever you go. Enjoy your trip and just go with the flow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trip was great. I used my GPS to take me on the "scenic route" that ended up being great. As I got closer to where I was going to spend the night I used it fo find hotels. The first and last night that was fine as the first hotel I went ot had rooms. The second night though in Calais France was bit tougher and I was almost in a bad way.

One thing I learned and would pass out to others who are touring Europe is that it is closed on Sundays and Holidays (which Monday was for them too). That made getting gas without an EC (Eurpose version of a debit card) very hard. At one point I paid someone in cash for them to use their EC on the machine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts