Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Benjamin, i live in the boston area. I just picked up a 2001 750 sport with 4 k on the clock. I am very excited and the driving it so far. It looks like it got some frame rust from battery vapor? Does anyone have experience with derusting the frame? I plan on rebuilding her on a new frame in a few years.

Always up for riding in the area.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome! change your belts!

I also had some spots on my frame from an overflowed battery. I used light steel wool, and found the appropriate paint for the frame here on this forum. I have a gold-framed '95, so it's a different color, but THIS THREAD may have the right color for you.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Also check the torque on your engine mount bolts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for the color code look like that one will work. Do you think i would be fine with the pen kit or should i go airsol?

Whats the torque on them? I haven't gotten my Haynes book yet.

I took her for a spin yesterday and I accelerated and the bike and it lurged. Just clearing something up or is their something i should be checking in my fuel system?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I took her for a spin yesterday and I accelerated and the bike and it lurged. Just clearing something up or is their something i should be checking in my fuel system?
I'm going to guess you were at about 2500rpm when you tried to accelerate and the bike didn't like it? Yeah, they all do that. Downshift. Don't be afraid to let it rev, I'm rarely below about 3500rpm and usually above 4k.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Rust treatment

Benjiface,

You might want to consider hitting those rusted areas with Ospho (available at Lowe's) before you paint. The Ospho will kill the rust and keep it from growing back under the primer and paint. Just a suggestion. Plus one on the belts, this is the cheapest insurance you can but for a Ducati. Enjoy your new ride and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to guess you were at about 2500rpm when you tried to accelerate and the bike didn't like it? Yeah, they all do that. Downshift. Don't be afraid to let it rev, I'm rarely below about 3500rpm and usually above 4k.

Hit the nail on its head. Yeah i'm not afraid of the rev. I just have to get use to what she likes. I came from a CBR 250 and i was always above 4K on it. This bike is night and day. It is amazing driving a bike that is more designed for race than that beginner bike. That being said, i am very glad i spent two years on the small bike. The sport only has a 5 speed unlike the supersport and a longer range so in the city i'm like 1st and 2nd gear all day. >.<

Cam tool and cam belts on order (do you guys use a sealant for the cam door?), gotta get new plugs. I also have to diagnosis my low fuel light problem. Has anyone had that before?

How many people change their brake fluid every 6 months? or season for the Northerners.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The cam belts run dry, so no sealant is needed on the cambelt covers. Some people even just leave them off and can watch the belts go 'round, although I don't recommend this.

The low fuel light is a common and constant problem. I gave up years ago, and just use the tripmeter.

Brake fluid (and clutch if yours is also hydraulic) doesn't need to be changed that often. Every 2 years is generally recommended (and most people in real life neglect even that).

PhilB

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the 750 Super Sport, and it's got the 5sp gearbox too.

As Phil noted, no need for any sealant when changing the belts. I highly recommend getting the Haynes manual, and or, the LT Snyder 2 valve book for doing maintenance.

I also only change the brake and clutch fluids every two years.

Congrats on the new bike! I love my 750...it's a very fun bike to ride. Yeah, it's not 100+ hp, but this bike is a blast to ride through the twisties with! I've had mine to Loudon for a track day, and taking it down to Palmer in MA in July for a track day...should be a blast.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I plan on rebuilding her on a new frame in a few years. .
What? Nope. There are far better things to spend your time and money on; just sand or steel wool that surface rust off, and repaint with the appropriate paint.

Also If you plan on keeping the bike for 2+ years, replace the tires. Not sure the age or condition of your current tires, but new rubber is always fun and increases safety a lot. (Those look like the OEM tires too..? Check the Date Code)

I basically put new tires on every bike that I buy; confidence boaster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the 750 Super Sport, and it's got the 5sp gearbox too.

As Phil noted, no need for any sealant when changing the belts. I highly recommend getting the Haynes manual, and or, the LT Snyder 2 valve book for doing maintenance.

I also only change the brake and clutch fluids every two years.

Congrats on the new bike! I love my 750...it's a very fun bike to ride. Yeah, it's not 100+ hp, but this bike is a blast to ride through the twisties with! I've had mine to Loudon for a track day, and taking it down to Palmer in MA in July for a track day...should be a blast.
Oh nice. So the only real difference is the front brake and maybe the ratio. Who do you track with? I am hoping to get involved in that in the near future.

Already picked up the Haynes manual i got it in the mail a few days ago every night i've been reading it. Did they use a different brake fluid or just DOT 4 for both clutch and brakes? What is your average trip on a tank? like 140 miles?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What? Nope. There are far better things to spend your time and money on; just sand or steel wool that surface rust off, and repaint with the appropriate paint.

Also If you plan on keeping the bike for 2+ years, replace the tires. Not sure the age or condition of your current tires, but new rubber is always fun and increases safety a lot. (Those look like the OEM tires too..? Check the Date Code)

I basically put new tires on every bike that I buy; confidence boaster.
I will get new tires hopefully this season if not for next season for sure. As for the rebuild a good friend of mine Walt builds these amazing bikes. Walt Siegl's Leggero Series So my end result is hopefully to make one of those.

also when i'm ready i will get a 996 or maybe one of the newer superbikes. by when i'm ready i mean have the money to spend with out my wife trying to kill me in my sleep. >:)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I will get new tires hopefully this season if not for next season for sure. As for the rebuild a good friend of mine Walt builds these amazing bikes. Walt Siegl's Leggero Series So my end result is hopefully to make one of those.

also when i'm ready i will get a 996 or maybe one of the newer superbikes. by when i'm ready i mean have the money to spend with out my wife trying to kill me in my sleep. >:)
Those are very cool. You could get a 996, though, for less money than it will cost to turn your 750S into something like one of those.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Like anything else, building something from parts, especially with some custom parts thrown in, is always going to cost an order of magnitude more than buying a mass-produced model. I've resisted a lot to mod my SS... really it's a great bike out of the box. I do have FBF slip-ons, the sound is just awesome, and I've done a few (cheap, DIY) suspension upgrades but overall the bike is pretty stock. The torque, particularly low-rpm torque, out of these twins can't be beat for putting a smile on your face; you will not lose any ground in the corners, it's jut that the top speed is limited to 140mph or so... at one point in my life that wasn't fast enough but given that I'm still alive I figure I should slow down a bit anyways...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ss

I have an 03' 800ss that I race. Always was a Honda guy, still have a couple, but this Duc is sweet! I had a Superhawk for a few years that I would track every once in awhile. This 800 has a very similar torque characteristics, just not quite the top end, but a great track bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Oh nice. So the only real difference is the front brake and maybe the ratio. Who do you track with? I am hoping to get involved in that in the near future.

Already picked up the Haynes manual i got it in the mail a few days ago every night i've been reading it. Did they use a different brake fluid or just DOT 4 for both clutch and brakes? What is your average trip on a tank? like 140 miles?

I'm not sure what all the differences are. I know the front brake is different, and the SS has remote brake & clutch reservoirs instead of the "coffin" type.

Yes...DOT 4 for both brake and clutch.

Not sure about miles per tank to honest. I usually do shorter trips and track days on the SS...I have the Monster for longer trips as it's much more comfortable for me.

Those Walt Siegl bikes are amazing!!! I only wish I had the cash to build one. I though about doing some type of build with my 750, but I've decided to leave it stock and pick up a superbike at some point.

I've done track days with Fishtail, but am going to also try Tonys track Days this year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
...a good friend of mine Walt builds these amazing bikes. Walt Siegl's Leggero Series So my end result is hopefully to make one of those.
Insanely jealous that you know Walt - I have been admiring his work since I picked up my 900SS 3 years ago. A pair of his latest creations (the MV Augustas) have made their way to my city. Those things are absolutely sublime; moving works of art - stunning in person.

My SS was also my first foray into Italian ownership and I do not regret it one bit. The roar coming out of that airbox, upon hard engine braking, is one of the greater symphonies in life.

I recently purchased a modern Ducati, thinking that I would downsize the stable and "just have one bike" (foolish!) I did get rid of that vintage UJM, but there's no way I can give up the SS.

Sure the new, modern duc has multiple ride modes, has more HP, has loads of electronic doodads, and is generally better on paper - but the SS is such a more visceral ride. Nothing I've ridden compares.

And as the thing ages - that blunt nose, square headlight look just keeps getting better and better.:smile2:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
. . .
Hey, thanks for the tip. I was not aware of Walt and his outrageous talent! And, as a big plus, he's right in one of my favorite riding areas ! Gonna have to get up they'a and see him!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an 03' 800ss that I race. Always was a Honda guy, still have a couple, but this Duc is sweet! I had a Superhawk for a few years that I would track every once in awhile. This 800 has a very similar torque characteristics, just not quite the top end, but a great track bike.
Great looking track bike!! Yeah i started witha 250 honda. Top speed was never my first choice, i prefer going slow fast.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts