Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for months but time to do a proper introduction before asking fro advice.
My name is Jorge and I live in Sydney, Australia, although I was born in Spain and lived there until 21.
Been riding bikes since I was 12 (I'm 39 now) and always loved Ducatis but never had one (in, fact, all my bikes have been Japanese, be it in-line 4 or V4). Mostly because I found them too "illogical". Until Ducati came up with the 1200 Multistrada that is.

Now, after pondering for a very long time and taking some Multi's (2010 and 2015) for a test ride, I have my mind set and I'm definitely getting one.
I friend told me not to take one for a test ride for fear I would want to buy one and he was right.
It's the definite bike for me as I'll be using it for commuting, the odd weekend scratch in the twisties and a few weekends away with my significant other.
First I have to sell my current ride, a 2013 Kawaski Ninja 1000 (also known as Z1000SX) which is currently being repaired after a minor incident while lane filtering.
Then the hunt begins.

I would love to get a new 2015 1200 S touring but can't really afford it. Ducati is decidedly a luxury brand here in Australia and prices are quite inflated. A new 2015 S Touring model is $31,000 AUD ride away (around $22,500 USD). Although there's a demo going for $25,000 AUD which I'm trying to convince my partner about (wish me luck!).

My more "down to earth" option is getting a 2010-2012 1200 S Touring. There are a few going around for a good price and I could also throw in some extra cash to buy the Ohlins SCU, a Tuneboy and a exhaust (if the bike doesn't have any of these already).
I met one of the founders of the Ducati Owners Club of NSW at the recent Sydney Bike Show and, as a Multi owner himself, he told me not to get a 2010-12 and jump to either a 2013-2014 or DVT as they are a much better bike. Problem is the price of used '13-'14 models is quite high (staring at around $20,000 AUD).

Now my question to the experts is, is there much difference between a '13-'14 S model with the Skyhook and Dual Spark when compared to a '10-'12 S model with Ohlins SCU and Tuneboy?

More questions to follow...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 2012 ABS base model and have no regrets. Put it in Sport mode 100%, set traction and brakes, sag and just ride. It is the lightest liquid cooled multi (excepting non ABS) and the suspension is totally satisfactory, to me anyway. Added MIVV exhaust and am still happy with stock fuel map. I like simpler. :grin2: It is my daily driver 365 d/y. Love it and living in North Florida.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I met one of the founders of the Ducati Owners Club of NSW at the recent Sydney Bike Show and, as a Multi owner himself, he told me not to get a 2010-12 and jump to either a 2013-2014 or DVT as they are a much better bike.
Does Ducati pay him a commission? :)

Pro's and con's for any generation, but many will argue that the 2010-12 generation was the pinnacle for the MTS. That includes the point that it was the last generation before Ducati started to go cheap on certain parts and take shortcuts while at the same time really starting to jack up prices. Many professional reviewers say that the 2010-12 generation was the most visceral, powerful one before Ducati refined the MTS and maybe mellowed it out too much.

Whatever generation you go with, be warned ... They all have problems, but as long as you know that going in and are willing to work through them, you'll love owning a Ducati.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My 2010 S model was my first Duc and I'm as smitten with it today as the day I bought it five years ago. It truly is a great bike. I have 30,000 miles without significant issues. My VFR with "legendary" Honda reliability left me stranded twice in 40,000 miles due to electrical issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I knew your advice would be very valuable!
Thinking about what Damascus said and you may be right in that Ducati has added more farkles to the newer versions of the Multi but had also gone cheap. I mean, it's going to be my first Ducati so it HAS to have Ohlins suspension! Hehehe.
I know every bike has issues and I am willing to work through them (I actually enjoy doing it, getting to know the bike more intimately) and while saying that, buying a bike that had been around for 5 years I guess it would be easy to find information and help on any issues that may come up.
So it looks like it will be a 2010-2012 then!
Will have to wait a couple of weeks to get the Ninja back and then sell it but already contacting sellers and dealers.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The biggest thing IMO you want to be ready for on 99% of the 2010 - 2014 bikes is the shite rear brake design. They finally got it right in 2015. Do some searches on that issue. There are some workarounds out there but the easiest is install some Speedbleeders and be ready to bleed it fairly regularly. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The biggest thing IMO you want to be ready for on 99% of the 2010 - 2014 bikes is the shite rear brake design. They finally got it right in 2015. Do some searches on that issue. There are some workarounds out there but the easiest is install some Speedbleeders and be ready to bleed it fairly regularly. Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up.
I barely use the rear brake anyway (the Ninja is also known for having a wooden one). Only when 2-up but I may take your advice and do the bleeding regularly.
One of my pet peeves on modern bikes, specially on expensive or "premium" bikes, is how the get cheap when it comes to brake levers, pads and lines. Surely haing fully adjustable CNC lever, braided lines and good pads wouls only add maybe $50-$100 to the overall wholesale cost a bike?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've got a '12 as well, 19,000 miles so far and no issues except the key is wonkey, so make sure you know the pin or create your own. May not be an issue as much on your side of the world but in the US it gets interference from gas pumps, phones, cell towers. I make sure my iphone is off when I ride it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks guys, I knew your advice would be very valuable!
Thinking about what Damascus said and you may be right in that Ducati has added more farkles to the newer versions of the Multi but had also gone cheap. I mean, it's going to be my first Ducati so it HAS to have Ohlins suspension! Hehehe.
I know every bike has issues and I am willing to work through them (I actually enjoy doing it, getting to know the bike more intimately) and while saying that, buying a bike that had been around for 5 years I guess it would be easy to find information and help on any issues that may come up.
So it looks like it will be a 2010-2012 then!
Will have to wait a couple of weeks to get the Ninja back and then sell it but already contacting sellers and dealers.
It depends who you ask, Jorge. I have a 13 Pikes Peak and I think that bike, the 13-14 model, is the pinnacle...
If you are getting a 2010-12, there are several things you need to know how they were addressed. And especially because you will be carrying a passenger every now and then, the 13-14 will be ready to go. Plus your chances of finding one with lower mileage are better.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It depends who you ask, Jorge. I have a 13 Pikes Peak and I think that bike, the 13-14 model, is the pinnacle...
If you are getting a 2010-12, there are several things you need to know how they were addressed. And especially because you will be carrying a passenger every now and then, the 13-14 will be ready to go. Plus your chances of finding one with lower mileage are better.

We have an '11 fully modded and a bone stock '14. I don't know why people bag on the 10-12's?? The '14 has a smoother engine, better suspension with the skyhook, maybe a bit more hp but hard to tell cause the 11 is so much lighter, most of my sportier friends like the 11, my wife likes the 14. I can not speak for the 15 but for the price used is the way we usually go. We only got the 14 new cause it was a leftover and we only paid 14,999 USD. I like both bikes, just do the right thing and if your going used find a lower milage bike and you will be good.

Enjoy

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get what you mean but the funny thing is the mileage on the used '13 and '14 models around here is pretty much on par with the '10-'12 (except for some obvious high mileage ones). but the price difference is quite significant (we are talking over $5,000 AUD difference).
If the price difference wasn't so high I'll definitely consider a used '13-'14, but right now, that stretch would put me closer to the a demo '15. But hey, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

We have an '11 fully modded and a bone stock '14. I don't know why people bag on the 10-12's?? The '14 has a smoother engine, better suspension with the skyhook, maybe a bit more hp but hard to tell cause the 11 is so much lighter, most of my sportier friends like the 11, my wife likes the 14. I can not speak for the 15 but for the price used is the way we usually go. We only got the 14 new cause it was a leftover and we only paid 14,999 USD. I like both bikes, just do the right thing and if your going used find a lower milage bike and you will be good.

Enjoy

Mark
Thanks Mark, very good comparison.
If I got offered a god deal ona '13 or '14 I would consider it, but so far all the ones I have seen are a lot dearer than the previous model.
As an example, I can get 2010 S Touring with around 25,000 kms (15,000 miles) and in really good condition for $15,000AUD, whereas a all the 2013 S Touring start at $20,000AUD with similar mileage or higher!
My thought is: get the 2010, spend another $1k or $2k on SCU, TuneBoy and exhaust or cat eliminator (many already have one) and I'm still $3k to $4k better off while still riding an awesome bike!
Heck, looking at some prices now, there is people asking $25k for 2014 models! I was offered a demo 2015 with less than 5,000km for that price!!! The used market is a bit screwed here in Australia.
I have now been told my Ninja is going to take another 2 weeks to be fixed so the wait may be long.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ducati, I agree 100% definitely a luxury brand and honestly, I didn't think I could ever afford the MTS. I'm not your typical BMW/Ducati buyer, I'm pretty much a low wage worker who can't even afford to own a car, so I ride a motorcycle. I do own a Yamaha FZ6 that has been pretty dependable with over 104k miles which has been my only ride for the past 7 years. Getting back to the MTS, here in the states, they have a promotional offer that takes any 2014 MTS model off by $2500 off the top. Not sure if this promo is worldwide, but worth looking into. Depending on how desperate the dealers are to get rid of their leftover 14's off the floor, I was able to get my bike 2014 Touring Edition discounted by $4k. It had 4 miles on the clock when I rode it out of the showroom floor.

I've been wanting a MTS since 2010, visiting a dealership every year to see the latest and greatest. It appears that every three years, there are significant changes to the MTS, as the 2016 is a prime example. In my opinion, the very first editions are the models that encounter the problems and are the models that are used to troubleshoot the problems and the manufacturer tries to correct those errors the following year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts