Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1997 748
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Just bought a 97 748 mono, just over 8k original miles, recent belt and rocker inspection, and well cared for (bone stock).

The shipper should have it here next week. Im very excited!

I have had many bikes, of all makes and description/ type (Harleys, British cafe racers, especially), but this is my first pure sportsbike. I have wanted one since watching them dominate at Road America in the late 90s'... 25 years is too long to wait!

Im 52, live in Southern AZ on beautiful
twisting roads. Looking forward to participating here!

Jeff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1997 748 Mono
109 Posts
Looks great! I got a very similar bike last summer, yellow 97 748 although mine has the older style lettering. Welcome!

·
Registered
1997 748
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I was wondering about the lettering, the "748" font looks thin on mine, wondering if it is original? Was this s mid model year change?

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
52 Posts
the side fairings look to be aftermarket. in the pics they don't look too bad with the exception of the "Ducati" isn't right for your year and the 748 is in the wrong location and the font is not correct for any Ducati. also the tank looks like a later year replacement as the 97's either had all yellow or the "cagiva font" Ducati on the sides. all in all looks like it will be a nice fun rider or even restoration project.
Congrats
-mjn

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
the side fairings look to be aftermarket. in the pics they don't look too bad with the exception of the "Ducati" isn't right for your year and the 748 is in the wrong location and the font is not correct for any Ducati. also the tank looks like a later year replacement as the 97's either had all yellow or the "cagiva font" Ducati on the sides. all in all looks like it will be a nice fun rider or even restoration project.
Congrats
-mjn
This is all correct however, I am going to take a wild guess and say based on a couple of tells that this is actually a 1998 biposto bike. While the yellow of the fairings look different than the yellow on the tank, it looks to me like a 1998 where someone added the stickers on the stock side fairings (and possibly cleared over them thus causing the subtle difference in hue). They're bare on the 1998's as the only logo should be the small Vignelli logo on the tank the only model designation should be inside the white number plate on the tail. However, this has the mono tail from a 1997 as it looks like someone did away with the biposto and found an earlier mono tail to make do.

By all appearances, it looks like a nice well cared for bike and it doesn't matter that it's not "bone stock."

If you haven't already, you should run the VIN by Ducati just to confirm the year and the model.

Reactions: ditch68

·
Registered
1997 748
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much! I will run it past Ducati.

Im not concerned about little things, it isnt a collector item, but my toy. I wont feel as bad about modification if it already has a few discrepancies. (Xerox livery is in its future)

Just can not wait to ride the hell out of it!!

This forum is going to be extremely helpful.

Jeff

·
Registered
1997 748
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also...That bubble windscreen has got to go. I want just a plain, flat, clear original. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Also...That bubble windscreen has got to go. I want just a plain, flat, clear original. Any advice?
Easy. Lots of those around. Hell, I think I have 5 new ones in my basement.

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
52 Posts
in my opinion the old single bubble racing screen looks best, but try finding one for a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice bike, you bought the fast color!

·
Premium Member
1997 748 Mono
109 Posts
If it helps here is my 97 for comparison. Can snap other pictures if it's helpful but currently partially disassembled.

·
Registered
1997 748
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I found the shape Im looking for aftermarket, but I think I can do better than 85$.

Used would be fine.

·
Registered
1997 748
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I emailed Ducati. All my VIN research does say 1997. But clearly the frame tab for the passenger footpeg is there, and the front brake disc is different, so it was a Biposto originally.

I can do a lot more poking around when it gets here, must have been down at some point and the repairs became changes. I dont mind if she has small defects...she is GORGEOUS. Hopefully this is unlike dating a stripper.

Thanks for all the info! (And greetings and compliments!)

Jeff

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats!! I'm in the same boat as you as I just recently picked up a 748 after lusting after them for 20 years. Btw, if you decide you want a more comfy seat, let me know--mine had a sargeant seat which I took off.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Lovely, and enjoy.

As is, put in an after market eeprom and it will run better and bump up the HP.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I dont know I am still waiting for Daniela Bianchi to appear in my bed lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts