Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Ducati 748 , 2009 kx450f, 2009 Suzuki m109r
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo gloriously I’ve acquired what the kid in me always dreamed of a Ducati 748 with only 7595 miles on it , it all happened so fast , I was at a garage sale and saw something red and shiny in the garage , and nest thing I know the bike was loaded on the back of the pick up driving home..... and for only 1800 dollars!!! I got home and bought a battery and it started right up! Unbelievable right !! Too good to be true is right when it soon after froze , the motor locked up and with tears running down my eyes I pulled the motor only to find the wreckage of what was left behind! Now what do I do ? Any advice from more experienced owners greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Sorry to hear that. But with a 748 engine for $1k or less, you are good to if you can do the work yourself. It's not difficult to do an engine swap. Approximately $3k for a 748 is not bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear that. But with a 748 engine for $1k or less, you are good to if you can do the work yourself. It's not difficult to do an engine swap. Approximately $3k for a 748 is not bad.
I know ! I am super excited to see this thing running and will post plenty of pics once I get her a new engine and back together

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
First, I’d ask where on this planet you are? Might make things easier for you if the forum knows where you are. A nearby member might have parts you need or know where some are to get your project moving along.

Second, there are a couple of reputable vendors here who are members also. Wounded Duc or Duc Power on eBay might have exactly what you need.

Third, since the original engine grenaded, this is the opportune time to upgrade to a bigger engine. IE if you find a 916 or 996 engine for sale for less than another 748 it makes sense to do so. Originality is no longer a big deal.

Fourth, if originality is a big deal to you, maybe rebuilding the engine you have is feasible. New crank and rods would be significantly less than a complete engine.

Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing you post on the progress. An engine swap on these bikes is incredibly simple as they were made to be worked on.....sean

Reactions: TNR

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, I’d ask where on this planet you are? Might make things easier for you if the forum knows where you are. A nearby member might have parts you need or know where some are to get your project moving along.

Second, there are a couple of reputable vendors here who are members also. Wounded Duc or Duc Power on eBay might have exactly what you need.

Third, since the original engine grenaded, this is the opportune time to upgrade to a bigger engine. IE if you find a 916 or 996 engine for sale for less than another 748 it makes sense to do so. Originality is no longer a big deal.

Fourth, if originality is a big deal to you, maybe rebuilding the engine you have is feasible. New crank and rods would be significantly less than a complete engine.

Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing you post on the progress. An engine swap on these bikes is incredibly simple as they were made to be worked on.....sean
To answer all your questions. I am in Jacksonville, NC originality isn’t that huge of an issue although I do recognize that for the 996 upgrade I would need an oil cooler , and new ecu , I don’t know what exactly I would need for the 916 though , but I really got into Ducati for the revvy nature and pure sound these motorcycles are known to make , as for rebuilding the stock motor , this was the original intention until the crankshaft punched a connecting rod through both cases ? I am going to edit the details on my profile as soon as I am finished posting this ^^^

·
Registered
327 Posts
Used 748 motor all day long. Swap it in a weekend or two and go riding. Anything else will take time to find all the parts.
If you want to go bigger, skip the 916 and go for the 996. Air box and exhaust are all the same. Like you said, ECU and oil cooler, not sure about wiring harness, probably not much more.
2k maybe vs 1kish for a 748 motor. Check the rockers on whatever engine you get. If this are flaking they can be 50-100 bucks each.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was just on Wounded Duc and he has a 2001 748 engine including clutch and starter for $1000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just installed another engine in my 748, engine 3.5 in 5 years. I have tons of parts laying around. If you are looking for anything specific let me know. Unfortunately I don’t have a complete engine at this time. I have two blocks with spun rod bearings and two sets of good heads. I am in New York.
Brett

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just on Wounded Duc and he has a 2001 748 engine including clutch and starter for $1000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey Chris, do you have the link to that motor? From what I understand the 01 mounting bolts are a bit thicker , correct? So I would need a sleeve or to drill out my brackets

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Not to dissuade you but a cautionary tale.

Customer had a 1100 hyper that a mistake by a shop blew up.
They decided to grab a ebay motor ( I know no details on that motor ie: miles etc) that motor spun a rod bearing a year later (when I came into the picture).
I searched ebay for a replacement crank to use to rebuild the motor and bought one from a well known reputable ebay ducati parts seller. The rods had spun as well on that part when i removed them from the used crank.

Point being spending money and expecting a good outcome while knowing the used part most likely was from a salvage bike has potential pitfalls. Most salvage bikes are from wrecks and there is little to no way to tell if your new replacement motor spent the last 10 minutes running on its side with no oil getting to the crankshaft. If you rebuild you at least know what you have (within reason and skill), if you buy a used motor with a unknown past you know no more than you did when you spent $1800 on the bike that just broke.

If you have the skills to rebuild it yourself IMHO it will almost always better in the long run to freshen the motor and know it is sound vs rolling the dice and hoping the motor was shut down before that precious film was gone from the rod bearings. While there consider dropping in those 853 pistons and have a great desmoquattro that includes the close ration transmission of the 748 and short stroke revvy nature also on the 748. While adding the midrange power and torque that often is that of the 916, but that's just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay so I’ve messaged wounded duc about their 748 , and am waiting a reply. Meanwhile I was surfing craigslist and found a claimed 96-98 748 motor in Daytona beach ! Now the alt ourput in the pics has three wires so wouldn’t that mean it’s three phase and cross compatible with my 2000?
what are you guys thoughts Here are-some pics and guys says it’s been sitting for two years in a clean and dry storage compression is
2 years
138/140 Horiz/Vertical
650 dollars , should I get it ?
here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
ducvet brings up some great points.

I can give no advice on the eBay engine for $650 other than, you often get what you pay for.

That’s not to say you don’t find gems on eBay because it does happen. It just doesn’t happen all that often.

Potentially, you buy the $650 engine and wind up putting a great deal of time and effort to make it reliable.

Hence my comment about rebuilding one. Minimum, you’ll need to replace the belts and check the valves. Add on an oil & filter and you’re at least into it $800. You’ll need to do the same on a $1K engine too though so dont let that dissuade you.

Thing is, regardless of cost, you have no idea what kind of neglect or abuse has been heaped on the engine or not. It’s a roll of the dice is all I’m saying. The question is, how big a roll of the dice are you willing to make?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Don't pick up that engine, just look at it. I don't trust someone that sells an engine/parts but doesn't tale the time to clean it.

Depending on the year of your 748 you will have to change the rectifier because of the different charging system. Also, that engine is 10mm engine bolt front and rear. Yours may be 10mm front and 12mm back, or 12mm front 12mm back. (I think 99 was the only year that there was 10mm front and 12mm back) I've have the 10mm x 10mm and 10mm x 12mm on my 748 and 996. You can drill out the cases to suit the 12mm if necessary.

Please post pictures of your $1,800 beauty, if you have any prior to the tear down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not to dissuade you but a cautionary tale.

Customer had a 1100 hyper that a mistake by a shop blew up.
They decided to grab a ebay motor ( I know no details on that motor ie: miles etc) that motor spun a rod bearing a year later (when I came into the picture).
I searched ebay for a replacement crank to use to rebuild the motor and bought one from a well known reputable ebay ducati parts seller. The rods had spun as well on that part when i removed them from the used crank.

Point being spending money and expecting a good outcome while knowing the used part most likely was from a salvage bike has potential pitfalls. Most salvage bikes are from wrecks and there is little to no way to tell if your new replacement motor spent the last 10 minutes running on its side with no oil getting to the crankshaft. If you rebuild you at least know what you have (within reason and skill), if you buy a used motor with a unknown past you know no more than you did when you spent $1800 on the bike that just broke.

If you have the skills to rebuild it yourself IMHO it will almost always better in the long run to freshen the motor and know it is sound vs rolling the dice and hoping the motor was shut down before that precious film was gone from the rod bearings. While there consider dropping in those 853 pistons and have a great desmoquattro that includes the close ration transmission of the 748 and short stroke revvy nature also on the 748. While adding the midrange power and torque that often is that of the 916, but that's just icing on the cake.
The problem would be the hole in the cases would be an expensive fix
Don't pick up that engine, just look at it. I don't trust someone that sells an engine/parts but doesn't tale the time to clean it.

Depending on the year of your 748 you will have to change the rectifier because of the different charging system. Also, that engine is 10mm engine bolt front and rear. Yours may be 10mm front and 12mm back, or 12mm front 12mm back. (I think 99 was the only year that there was 10mm front and 12mm back) I've have the 10mm x 10mm and 10mm x 12mm on my 748 and 996. You can drill out the cases to suit the 12mm if necessary.

Please post pictures of your $1,800 beauty, if you have any prior to the tear down.
would you guys be able to give me some tips on how to tell a two phase charging system from a three phase?

also here she is , just as I found her covered in dust.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
On the left side engine cover there will be yellow wires coming out and running to the right side. 2 phase motors will have 2 Yellow wires,3 phase will have 3 yellow wires.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
can you still get the kit to put a suzuki tl1000 engine in one? :ROFLMAO:

well, it's not that stupid an idea if originality's not a big deal. ok, maybe it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the left side engine cover there will be yellow wires coming out and running to the right side. 2 phase motors will have 2 Yellow wires,3 phase will have 3 yellow wires.
Would I be correct to assume the motor I found is three phase?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
can you still get the kit to put a suzuki tl1000 engine in one? :ROFLMAO:

well, it's not that stupid an idea if originality's not a big deal. ok, maybe it is.
That would shatter my ducadreams , but it would be such a go to bike , how can I acquire the kit?

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
80 Posts
Boot sorry for your situation
I hope this isn't considered a hijack but what does that look like to the experts? besides what looks like a rod bolt being mangled I can't really see/i.d. what the parts floating around in that thrashed engine, anybody want to make guesses on the cause?
-M

1 - 20 of 28 Posts