Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow, just wow! I believe that this has been the most exciting day of my life in my 36 plus days on this earth. I wasn't really nervous or scared going into it, but more a lack of understanding of what to expect. I could not picture how I would cope with the speeds and other track riders. Up till now, everything I had learned has been from reading on the Internet, YouTube videos, Twist of the Wrist II DVD and a gradual improving of my skills on the Twisties around NYC. Basically, not much. lol.

I was in the beginners group and paid close attention to the classroom lessons. I tried to understand the lies but they didn't go over riding techniques much. After a follow the leader session to understand the track lines, they let us out to play. I went slow mostly and rode at a comfortable skill level. As the day progressed and we talked about riding techniques, I started to improve. A huge help was being able to see pictures that the photographer was taking of me. As I've heard stated before, I thought I was doing much better than I actually was. There were many holes in my body positioning.

Eventually, I got more bold but had a few run offs onto the grass. I managed to keep it up the whole day and was not too freaked out. I remember thinking at one point that I'm making the funniest faces behind mg helmet. Haha. I still have lots to learn but I'm glad I finally popped my track cherry. Take a look at the pics... I know I still have a lot to work on. There is so much to remember and when I focus on one thing like looking through and far, I forget to get my shoulder down.

The bike performed flawlessly. Not one hicup out of her the entire time at the track. I had some issues with the suspension but that's didn't prevent me from having fun. I almost felt like I wish I ha about 3000 more rpms to play with. I never flat a lack of power. What a rush to feel and hear that engine roar gradually to a banshee scream as I powered out of a turn. I have to figure out, next time, how to disable the lights on the bike. What should I do to the bike now? I got the oil changed about 2000 miles ago. Should I change it again? Don't worry, I'm not going to ask what type of oil I should get. Nothing causes an uproar on this forum like that question. lol

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like a helluva lot of fun man! I am looking forward to tracking the 900 too. I've been out in cars and karts, and the karts were wicked fun. I think bikes are going to be a humongous blast!

The pics look pretty good to me!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Apart from the odd "perfect" road, nothing beats the track.

No cars, pot holes, sticks, side roads, animals etc. Everyone going in the same direction etc.

Learner groups can be a bit scary though if a rider decides they are in too hot in a corner and stand it up, taking you out if you are passing on the outside.

I try to also sus out rider's styles/bottle before passing in a corner. I prefer to pass on the inside to prevent this.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Once you've tasted track, there's no going back! Road riding becomes a bit boring by comparison.

Wait til you do some good training like CSS. It will blow your mind!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Only "36 plus days on this earth?" I'm surprised they let someone so young on the track :D. All kidding aside, welcome to the addiction! I can't wait until my next track day. Really not much you need to do to the bike, except get your suspension sorted. Oil should be fine. To disable the lights, pull the fuse out. Remember not to look at the grass or edge of the track, or that's where you'll go! And although I agree with Punch about learner groups, the worst issues I've had with out of control squids is in the B group. Some of them think it's a race and that they are faster than they really are. I try to stay away from other riders as much as possible, as they are distracting and can be a hazard. Oh, and at all the track days I've done, they frown on inside passing in the C (beginner) group.
Have fun:yeah:!
P.S. Your body position looks good.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah there were a few people who had fast bikes who were burning past me on the straights and coasting through the turns. Then, I found out that if I exited the turn faster and pinned it on the straights, they wouldn't catch me at the end of the straights.

I did get a talking to about one bad pass between two people that was tight. I had to make a decision on the fly with two very slow turners at the end of an S turn. I was just hoping that they'd hold their line and not freak out.

With regards to body positioning, I looked very different at the beginning of the day. I was never crossed up, but there was a lot of daylight between my outside leg and the tank. hadn't been getting my outside forearm close to the tank and dropping my inside shoulder. Still, the best adjustment advice I got was from another rider in my group who was saying I wasn't looking far enough out into the horizon. I had to tilt my helmet back a notch to really crank my neck out enough. I kind of tweaked my neck a touch that morning on a sneeze. I'm a physical therapist who works on this sort of stuff and I found it ironic that my neck gave me problems on a day like this. As sore as my thighs are, my neck muscles are also as sore.

There was one other Supersport that was set up for the track. I am really regretting not chatting with him. I only noticed him at the end of the day.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.