Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to get my first bike (within next 2 weeks); i have narrowed it down to Ducati. I like kind of Sport Touring or Naked bikes; definitely not the Superbikes (because of my physique :eek:. ) . I test drove the new Monster 1100 S (with Termi on it); i really liked it. I have been going back and forth between ST3 or S4R; i am going crazy over this :think:.:confused: would love to get some experienced feedback on this.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Is this your first motorcycle or your first Ducati? If this is really your first bike and have never ridden before than your sites are set too high with either choice. Both are great bikes, but if you're a new rider get something smaller and spend some time learning on a bike that's easier to control and more forgivable when you drop it. - because you will drop it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your thoughts are much appreciated. This is my first motorcycle in this country, i have driven before outside USA for at least 8 years. ofcourse; those were smaller motorcycles and you don't get to speed at more than 50 MPH. i am comfortable handling the motor cycle; took the Harley safety course and test drove several bikes like Aprilia Tuno and Shiver. And to your point; it will be a stretch for me; however i don't want to buy smaller something now, regret and trade in for the bigger one. if i were to buy a smaller one; do you think it would be a good idea to get Monster 750 or something like that.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
S4R or ST3?

sorry - late to the thread...I bought my first motorcycle 2 years ago - a 2006 ST3S - loved it - easy to ride, fast, comfortable, no bad habits, practical and handles the canyons great. I agree this was a big bike for my first but I took a private MSF course and took the first few months slow - at about 3K I rode a friend's S4RS and realized I was more of a 'performance standard' kind of guy. I bought a 2008 S4RS and now have about 4K on it - and finally sold the ST3S - it's a great bike but I like the lighter, lower footprint style of the S4.

The ST3S is more of a sport sedan BMW 540 - the S4RS is a pure sports car - think 911.

good luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have an ST4s and and s4r myself. Personally I like the monster better for a couple reasons. First the monster is much easier to maneuver; I feel like I am in better control. Second, the monster has an "attitude" it just looks and sounds badass! Last, the monster is more comfortable to me, especially for commuting. The only two issues I have with the monster is the lack of storage and lack of aerodynamics. The bike gets blown around quite a bit especially at higher speeds. I also think the monster holds its value better than the ST series does. Hmm.. what else, oh yeah you will need a steering damper for this bike. The front feels really light twitchy.

The ST4s on the other hand does not have that problem because it is a full fairing bike and has saddle bags. I also noticed that the range on the ST4s is considerably farther than the monster. The bike is good for passengers and rides very smooth on the freeway. The looks of the ST are kind of like the early sportbikes and aren't too impressive. You have to change the sprockets on this bike also, the gearing is not setup properly stock.

my .$.02

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've owned an ST4S and now ride an S4RS. The ST is a great bike if you plan on many long road trips each year and is a great handling bike in it's own right. That being said; for me it was a bit heavy and the riding position was too conservative.

The S4RS has a much better power to weight ratio, has a lower center of gravity and just a blast to ride. I have it set-up with a gel seat, touring windscreen and luggage rack. It's plenty comfortable for 400-500 mile days and great for the twisties. There's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks folks for the advice. looking for a good used S4RS; searching in the forums and ebay; please let me know if you come across any that are good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts