Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola!

Well, let me tell ya .. that was FUN! After getting my arm twisted by John and Terry (as if I needed it) I did the AFM certification day and I passed. FYI, there was a guy in the group that was hella faster than me, but failed the riding test because his lines were "unpredictable" .. so, that will tell you what they are looking for. Our class was 4 people short after the first session .. oops.

The smartest thing I have done (since taking my bike to Nichols) was take my bike to Dave (suspension guy) before I got on the track. I told him my bike's a mess and does weird shit (all true), he pushed on the front, than back and I heard a faint "oh shit." He said come back after your class. Dave worked on it for 40 min straight .. geometry and suspension. After I came back to pick it up for the ride, I met my new bike. I thought I knew my bike, but not this one. He told me that my settings were sooooooo out of wack that he wondered how I rode at all and how came I did not crashed before .. well, I did - twice. I told him the details of my crashes and without going into too much detail, bottom line, it was suspension and geometry. He worked with me in the hot pit for two sessions, until the bike was fine tuned to PERFECTION! That was THE BEST $40 I have EVER spent. All the BS performance parts I wasted thousands on meant jack shit in comparison. My confidence on the bike just blew up .. wow, I can actually concentrate on riding instead of fighting the bike through the turns. In my book, Dave's the man.

Also, instead of eating lunch, I went to each and every group of riders (skipping the Kiegwin's tent :) and promoted the our private trackday and got quite a few riders interested. Met a lot of cool kids and some chill gray-hairs.

If anyone one of you is going to a track day between now and Reno - PLEASE let me know and I'll get some flyers to you. It's no effort and you get to meet some really nice people.

So, here's some shots.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Jovan, Good news you gettng the handling sorted out, was that Dave Moss and his business Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning?

I missed him last year giving a session at Throttle Wear in Folsum, but caught up with him at Infineion, had him check out the ST3, wasn't much he could do per se but I felt better having someone in know check it out. Very reasonalbe fees too!

Congrats on the certification!

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Great, seems like we had this conversation about proper suspension set up and how it completely changes the performance of the bike. It did that and more for my 900SS. However, my 916 needs mechanical help beyond suspension tuning.

Let me know when you get your AFM number and we will throw a little party for you, just like we did for Terry. Do you think you will be ready to race by the June Thunderhill date? You and Terry out there will be loads of fun. So, what are you going to do for a street bike?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It was Dave Moss and I invited him too to our trackdays. He's going to check the calendar and if it's open he'll come out - he said he would work for half day and play for half day. So, if you need your bikes fine tuned, or as in my case compltly re-invented, lets hope he shows up.

I met bunch of kewl guys from SF (remeber the tiger monster from Seca two years ago, he was there and his friend on a 250cc - nice guys) a group of (fast) Bazilians, a lot of folks from San Jose area including a guy from my motherland - The Great Serbian Empire.

Here's some pics .. hope this works:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Bombash, i'll see your T4 and raise you a T9 =)

great meeting you yesterday, hopefully ill get to ride with you again someday instead of watching you pass me on the inside =) looking good out there

Seriouly post up you guys are riding in the Sac area, id love to check out some of those roads 49, icehouse, ect... ill leave the 250 at home and bring the 749.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey! Howdy Dan!

There are some sweet roads out here. I'll give you guys a shout next time we go up - I'm chillin next weekend (i.e. my girl's in town), then the following my friends are coming from back east .. then RENO! .. Hope you and your friends can make it, you shold bring your Duc and let it rip in Reno. So (back to Tahoe ride) it will be sometime thowards the end of the month. Maybe the weekend after Reno (27th) ..

If you guys wanna come up the night before and crash at my place so we can get a nice early start before heat hits the valley, you're welcome to come. Plenty of space at my house (since we can afford houses in Sac :)

Anyways, I'll PM my phone # to you. Give me call if you're doing anything kewl.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Niiiiiiice!!! Can I do Reno? Can I do Reno??? Arrrrgh. Seems one never has enough time or never has enough money.

Bombash said:
It was Dave Moss and I invited him too to our trackdays. He's going to check the calendar and if it's open he'll come out - he said he would work for half day and play for half day. So, if you need your bikes fine tuned, or as in my case compltly re-invented, lets hope he shows up.

I met bunch of kewl guys from SF (remeber the tiger monster from Seca two years ago, he was there and his friend on a 250cc - nice guys) a group of (fast) Bazilians, a lot of folks from San Jose area including a guy from my motherland - The Great Serbian Empire.

Here's some pics .. hope this works:

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
New rule regarding no tape on the headlights?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bombash said:
I met bunch of kewl guys from SF (remeber the tiger monster from Seca two years ago, he was there and his friend on a 250cc - nice guys)

Those are some of my peeps - Spidey and Tiggy.
You'll have to come to the Geist this month and meet the rest.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John - I don't think it's a new rule. All trackdays I checked are like that. It's the break light they worry about. No one has mirrors, so who cares if the lights are on. If you notice they did not care about the turn signals either. I left them on so I can pass safely - check my left and right, throw the signal, then pass :D

Nina - your boys are a fun bunch. I mentioned I knew "Nina the Monster" and they got all exited (that was my "in" with the barf crowd.) I promissed them I will make it to Geist next time around. BTW, when is that? Thursday right? Which one? Lemmino.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I thought it was for broken glass on the track.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bombash said:
I promissed them I will make it to Geist next time around. BTW, when is that? Thursday right? Which one? Lemmino.

Last Thurs of the month, each and every month...Hope you like Bourbon ;)

BTW, I'm sure they are on BARF, but loyal to the DML.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I prefer Scotch, but burbon will do just fine. Not sure I can drink though, I'm the kind that can't have just one. Especially before riding back home - I would turn that ride into a time trial/ car slalom.

What's DML? (Ducati Monster .. ah .. Lovers ... Ducati Mamas' League .. AND I stop there as my mind is quickly heading straight for the gutter.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bombash said:
I prefer Scotch, but burbon will do just fine. Not sure I can drink though, I'm the kind that can't have just one. Especially before riding back home - I would turn that ride into a time trial/ car slalom.

What's DML? (Ducati Monster .. ah .. Lovers ... Ducati Mamas' League .. AND I stop there as my mind is quickly heading straight for the gutter.)

Ducati Monster List. Yeah we lurk on BARF also and probably a half dozen other forums, got to have something to do during work right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts