Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a suggestion to open up a thread so everyone can write down their riding experiences on the SF ??

It has been a long time I was overtaken on a motorcycle.. Certainly now with the SF people have a hard time keeping up in twisties. The torque and speed out of a turn make it very hard to overtake me. And I never use my breaks before a turn.... to just glide from turn to turn without using breaks... it's a skill I worked hard at and I'am proud of.

Being used to this I hardly ever look in my mirrors as life moves forward and my eyes are focused on the upcoming bends.

Then yesterday out of nowhere I got overtaken by a 1098 with open exhaust.. I was shocked !! :eek: What...........a..............sound........ Dear god....

After then I followed him around.. We were playing around with each other on some good back roads.. But couldn't keep up with him , going over 100mph through bends just wasn't enough. The distance between us grew larger.. Then in town I took the lead , but boy it must have been one hell of a sight and sound to see 2 red Ducati's riding next to each other. One 1098 SFS and his brother the Duc.1098.

I thought I was fast with the SF.... But a Ducati 1098 with open exhaust is something else.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I know what you mean.
Once you get up into higher speeds the 1098/1198 just pulls away.
Probably the wind resistance thing with us having no fairings.

·
Registered
736 Posts
It could have something to do with rider skill. Not to say that you are not fast, but maybe he was faster. Certainly, the SF suffers aerodynamically at triple digits.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I'm no racebike driver but I'm pretty sure one goes quite a bit faster by diving into the turns, braking late and hard, turning in and trailing off, and pulling out.

Gliding in makes the brake pads last longer, ...

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I've seen a buy blowing the doors off a 1098 with a Multi 1100, no matter how fast you are there's always someone faster out there!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lack of breaking ? :) Get's alot of respect from riders and few can keep up... Untill yesterday :p And gliding is a figure of speech.. Always been a skill I worked on , to adjust your speed going into a turn without breaking.. Can only do this on roads I know inside out.. As a rider once said to me "Breaking is for pussies" hehe.

It was impossible for me to keep up.. In the sharp turns I could keep up.... But on the long bends he was just gone..further and further away..
Yeah he was more experienced/better then me ,, I ride fast but that was insanely fast....

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm no racebike driver but I'm pretty sure one goes quite a bit faster by diving into the turns, braking late and hard, turning in and trailing off, and pulling out.

Gliding in makes the brake pads last longer, ...
That's what I was thinking too. Theres gotta be several seconds lost using the glide into the corner approach if I'm understanding it right.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I was thinking too. Theres gotta be several seconds lost using the glide into the corner approach if I'm understanding it right.

NOT A CHANCE !!! My riding instructor said it is a challenge to ride through tight roads without breaking. Takes alot of guts and balls.. Because you are going insanely fast.. This is not like on a track , but tight roads with alot of tight corners.. To just ride through there without slowing down , without breaking.... takes alot of practice and knowledge of the road.......

·
Registered
93 Posts
NOT A CHANCE !!! My riding instructor said it is a challenge to ride through tight roads without breaking. Takes alot of guts and balls.. Because you are going insanely fast.. This is not like on a track , but tight roads with alot of tight corners.. To just ride through there without slowing down , without breaking.... takes alot of practice and knowledge of the road.......
it is a challenge not to touch the brakes, you have to control your entry speed far in advance and know the turn since you cant adjust but you go slower over all.

Its also a challenge to head into a turn WOT and brake at the very last second.

I do this in the mountains i know well, but i can finish a few seconds faster if i brake into the corners.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We teach a "no brakes" exercise at the track (i instruct for the PCA) and indeed it is a great exercise to show just how fast you can come into a corner and how most people over brake from a fast straight only to go through the corner much slower.
No braking, however, is never the fastest way around the track or twisty road.
I think your buddy was speeding up more and then braking more and later instead of just letting of the throttle and gliding to e next turn.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
My buddy has a BMW 1150 rockster and he's a glider around the corners in our local mountain twisteis, also he is aided by forward looking gps so he knows if it hairpin or sweeper. Any ways hes faster when gliding at constant speeds but I like to hit or try to hit the rev limiter after the corner an then use those brembo brakes before the next. So I agree fast gliding is a skill that you can be fast at but I do think if you treated the mountain twities like a race track you probably would have been just as fast if not faster. But as someone else said there is always someone else that is faster.

·
Registered
269 Posts
No brakes can be fun as a test of skill but there is no way it can be as fast as correctly using your brakes. Best is example is motogp/ wsbk. If it was faster to never brake, they'd have torn the brakes off those bikes first thing.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Besides riding styles you have to remember that every single naked bike that is derived from a sport bike has the engine detuned at the top and retuned at the bottom. Though the ducat sf is thee least dutened out of them all it is tweaked for bottom end grunt. This has always kinda botherd me why don't they just take the fairings off and put some handle bars on it and call it a naked that way you could have the option of a full faired bike or a street brawler at your disposal. This makes me remember a guy on my fizzer site the dumped a ton of money and time to get his fz1N back up to R1 specs. In the end we were impressed he got it dyno'd to about 155hp at the rear wheel, not the crank. But he said " you know what if I had to do it all over again I would get an R1 and put on the euro headlight and handle bars and take the fairings off and be done with it.".

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
No brakes can be fun as a test of skill but there is no way it can be as fast as correctly using your brakes. Best is example is motogp/ wsbk. If it was faster to never brake, they'd have torn the brakes off those bikes first thing.
+1

If braking at the twists is slower than "gliding it" around then you are braking too much.

To me this "technique" of training is a good way to get novices rolling at the wrong side of a right-hander:rolleyes::.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
My buddy has a BMW 1150 rockster and he's a glider around the corners in our local mountain twisteis, also he is aided by forward looking gps so he knows if it hairpin or sweeper. Any ways hes faster when gliding at constant speeds but I like to hit or try to hit the rev limiter after the corner an then use those brembo brakes before the next. So I agree fast gliding is a skill that you can be fast at but I do think if you treated the mountain twities like a race track you probably would have been just as fast if not faster. But as someone else said there is always someone else that is faster.
You can ride your bikes any way you like. This is just a suggestion. Why do you feel the need to hit the rev limiter while riding aggressively in corners? Its really not needed and it's harder on an engine over long periods of time. Doing this isn't making you any faster either. Hitting the rev limiter on occasion is fine but trying to do it on purpose in between corners in the canyons is going to cost you money. Doing this is especially bad for a Ducati. It's proven that they just don't like high revs. This is one of the main reasons Ducati doesn't race in the Isle of man TT. It's also known that even in WSB and AMA racing Ducatis take a beating on wear and tear. This is visible when the engines are taken apart compared to other bikes in competition. The valve train especially doesn't like it and it's also known that the engine cases don't like it either. They've been known to have bearing failures when the revs are kept up and the cases flex. I'm just making sure you know this.:)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
You can ride your bikes any way you like. This is just a suggestion. Why do you feel the need to hit the rev limiter while riding aggressively in corners? Its really not needed and it's harder on an engine over long periods of time. Doing this isn't making you any faster either. Hitting the rev limiter on occasion is fine but trying to do it on purpose in between corners in the canyons is going to cost you money. Doing this is especially bad for a Ducati. It's proven that they just don't like high revs. This is one of the main reasons Ducati doesn't race in the Isle of man TT. It's also known that even in WSB and AMA racing Ducatis take a beating on wear and tear. This is visible when the engines are taken apart compared to other bikes in competition. The valve train especially doesn't like it and it's also known that the engine cases don't like it either. They've been known to have bearing failures when the revs are kept up and the cases flex. I'm just making sure you know this.:)
im only really hitting the rev limiter after the corner on the straight. i guess it's a bad habit after tooling around on Japanese bikes for so long. I will try 2nd gear from now on;). plus this duc is new to me still, I really haven't got the feel or sounds when to shift yet after coming off an inline 4, that thing revved forever.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice reading ! Thanks guys

Using breaks I can ride faster towards a turn.. Now I adjust my speed accordingly. Because of practice and knowledge of the road I'am far from slow.. First time I have been overtaken there.... And I left alot of experienced riders behind me on powerful bikes. The saying is true.... There is always someone faster then you.. breaks or no breaks :)

Anyhow safe riding everyone !! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
After then I followed him around.. We were playing around with each other on some good back roads.. But couldn't keep up with him , going over 100mph through bends just wasn't enough.
Not to be a d**k, but I am honestly surprised to read a post like this. Especially following your serious accident not too long ago. Weren't you almost killed?

~Ex

1 - 20 of 25 Posts