Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my coils with the Dynatek 3 ohm mini coils and got a great performance gain.

Today I replaced my old standard leads with a set of Magnecors. I specified them with the red 90 degree spark plug boots to match the red race leads.

Magnecor had reservations on these boots clearing the cyliner head fins but they clear just fine.

As Magnecor claim there leads are not a performance tuning item, however I am guessing my old leads may have been arcing somewhere because the bike runs smoother and sharper with the new leads. Not as much gain as replacing the coils but definitely a worthwhile gain.

The bike is idling slightly higher and smoother ... and is more willing to rev out past 5000 rpm than it used to.

However while the coils and leads have made the bke smoother and crisper across the rev range it still runs a little lumpy between 3000 and 4000 rpm (particularly under load). It's very smooth up to 3000 rpm and also from 4000 rpm on.

I am guessing that the fuelling is not quite right through this rev range?

The mufflers have been cored and I am running without the snorkels in the airbox.

Is this lumpyness more likely to be a carb synch problem or rich/lean running from 3000 to 4000 rpm?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Since you have carburetors, I think you could have used ordinary solid core wires instead. The Magencor wires are for suppressing EMI, which can cause problems with EFI and other sensitive electronics.

·
Mr Leakered
8,824 Posts
wobblyas,

I agree with you, it is a perf upgrade. I replaced my most likely original wires with 8.5mm MSD wires fabbed by TPO Parts. I got a great throttle response, smoother operation in the lower RPMs, and a consistent 3 to 4 MPG increase.

Pretty freaking cool.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since you have carburetors, I think you could have used ordinary solid core wires instead. The Magencor wires are for suppressing EMI, which can cause problems with EFI and other sensitive electronics.
I am confident that you are absolutely right new standard copper cored leads would work just as well initially. My first approach was to look for some of these.

However I must admitt I wanted the bling factor of red leads and boots ... and more importantly I wanted high grade silicon insulation in the leads and boots - because with the Dyntake coils I now have supposedly over 30,000 V travelling thru the leads and I have seen brand new leads fail to handle/contain this voltage in race cars. (Turning off the lights and lifting the bonnet at night time showed blue electrical flashes around the spark plug leads and boots)

I couldn't find any solid core leads with silicon insulation and silicon boots. I also didn't want any resistivity in the boots and the only high quality boots I could find locally were the NGK ones which have 5000 ohm resistors in the boots. Using these I would have ended up with 10000 ohm leads (5000 at the sprk plug boot and 5000 ohm at the coil boot)

The price premium for ordering the Magencors directly from the Magnecor Vs purchasing other leads locally was suprisinlgy little and the agnecor leads should last a lifetime,

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Solid core has no advantage whatsoever over MSW.

And even carbed bikes normally have electronic pickups, in which case you are also better off with MSW.

If you have problems, it's not the wire type.

Tom

·
Registered
665 Posts
I recently replaced my coils with the Dynatek 3 ohm mini coils and got a great performance gain.
Did you mesasure the resistance of the standard primary coil?? I thought it's 0.7 Ohm. Also, from what I've seen around, the dynacoils that people normally buy are the blue coloured ones (old style/shape) and not the newer mini coils. Why did you go with mini coils?? Any reason in particular?? :think::think:

Regarding the resistance of the boots: did you measure the resistance of the standard boots??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts