Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, when I first bought my 2012 MTS, I was a little concerned about its ability to start and run in sub-freezing temps since the starter motor definitely seemed wimpy compared to my previous bike, a GS Adventure. While I have yet to run in truly bitter cold temps here in RI, I have had several mornings of starting the bike in temps at or just below freezing and I'm happy to report that the bike starts just as easily as it did in summer temps. With temps in the 30s (F), my engine temp gets up to about 150 or so and hangs there. Oh, I should mention that I store it in an unheated shed. I'm liking this bike more and more. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,134 Posts
Same here, I'm probably 45 minutes north of you, bought mine in February and regularly took it out in low 20s weather. Approaching 15K miles and mine has started enthusiastically every time. Awesome bike. I'm prepping for second trip to North Carolina Sunday after next barring frozen precipitation. No reason we can't ride year round in New England between storms. (see thread on heated gear)

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I've started mine in single digits no problem. The starter threw me for a loop when I first fired up the bike at the dealer (thought the battery was nearly dead). Turns out it isn't wimpy, its just slower than I am used to. One of the great things about fuel injection is starting in the cold.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Starter

The starter motor is not wimpy. It turns as fast and strong as other bikes. The engine is turning over slower than you may be used to because of the gear reduction on the starter.
These MTS engines are high compression big bores, and the starter motor needs all the help it can get!

Dave,

·
Registered
131 Posts
On my MTS 1100 S the starter motor was a sluggard. and addtional earth strap to the starter motor and earthed to the block made a huge difference. the strap was only 6 inches long.
I also strongly recommend iridium plugs for cold strats, really noticed them on my Husky dirt bikes in the Victorian high country in winter. The iridiums make the bikes fire up more quickly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm prepping for second trip to North Carolina Sunday after next barring frozen precipitation. No reason we can't ride year round in New England between storms. (see thread on heated gear)
Best of luck on your late season trip! And a big "plus one"...I go nuts if I can't ride my bike for more than a week or so. Even when we get big snows, the roads are usually clean and safe within 7 days or so. I was also worried about my MTS's ability to keep me warm when its cold out, but that has proved to be not a problem either. My GSA being super wide with a huge stock windshield (with winglets too) was a fantastic bad weather machine. I put a 24" Cee Bailey's on my Multi and its good enough. Yes, it flows a bit more air than my GSA, but its not a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Same here, I'm probably 45 minutes north of you, bought mine in February and regularly took it out in low 20s weather. Approaching 15K miles and mine has started enthusiastically every time. Awesome bike. I'm prepping for second trip to North Carolina Sunday after next barring frozen precipitation. No reason we can't ride year round in New England between storms. (see thread on heated gear)
From our brief chat, in the parking lot, I got the impression that you were really happy with the bike ( w/o) saying so- but that the distance was excessive.

You are going to ride to NC again - Crazy- This riding must have a grip on you my friend... I haven't ridden in 3-4 days...

·
Super Moderator
6,134 Posts
From our brief chat, in the parking lot, I got the impression that you were really happy with the bike ( w/o) saying so- but that the distance was excessive.

You are going to ride to NC again - Crazy- This riding must have a grip on you my friend... I haven't ridden in 3-4 days...
This is my first year back in the saddle after an 18 year hiatus so I'll probly settle down at some point. I hope I'm not crazy, I'm a little worried about getting into hoarfrost season or running into a nor'easter on the way back home. But this trip has a purpose, a buddy of mine, younger than me and with 2 teenage kids, is dying from ALS, has only a couple of months left before he moves into hospice. So I'm riding down to say goodbye to him. (And if I can get an iron-butt out of it, what's the harm in that.)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Just a point of perspective, but my MTS starts a lot easier than my 1198. The 1198 i have to crack the throttle some, it always sounds a little slow.

The MTS i just hit the button and it starts. And once it's warmed up it starts even quicker.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If your used to in-lines starting up than twins sound slower I find. I think it's just the fact that they're turning over bigger pistons. My 51 never sounds like it's happy spinning over compared to my other in-line bikes but, it always starts the same regardless of temp. Just took me a while to get used to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts