Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knowing I wanted to get back on two wheels after almost 5 years away, I got a little Z125 to see if I still had the bug. The Z125 confirmed that I certainly did. So I started looking at my options. I have always owned small gutless bikes. 1983 Yamaha RX 50, Z125, Ninja 250, and a KLR 650. I haven't ridden much else other than small dual sports and dirt bikes. I took my father's Sportster for a ride once and that pretty much confirmed that light bikes are my thing. I just love tearing up corners and doing wheelies.

So I still wanted light weight, but I wanted the one thing I was missing, power. My requirements were able to do 2-up with relative comfort for my wife and I wanted fuel injection, as carburetors have pissed me off too many times over the years. My first instinct was to go for KTM or Husqvarna supermotos. I have always had a thing for Ducatis, and I LOVE the look of the Monster and Panigale, but after a couple of glances at their lineup, I somehow overlooked the Hyper and the Scrambler. Then I saw a used Hyper for sale and looked into it. That was exactly what I wanted. I mulled around the idea of getting a new one, but there is just something about that air cooled 1100.

I found one for sale in Rhode Island and he was willing to deliver it the hour and a half away(Mass makes buying a vehicle far away from you a real PITA). Got it on Saturday and registered it today. It was raining when I got home from work, but I tossed the plate on and took it up and down a section of closed off(for construction) road that is in great condition. I couldn't get into the corners or the throttle due to the rain, but damn, I'm impressed. If feels a little heavy due to its height, but once it gets going it feels very nimble. It feels a lot like my KLR 650 did, only far from gutless. And ohhh that wonderful exhaust note. Must get leathers and hit up a track day at the Palmer race track across town from me.

I haven't been this excited for my morning commute in a very long time. >:)

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
If you think youre excited, just imagine a morning commute but with lane splitting ;)

Congrats, and welcome to the one true Hypermotard experience.

Reactions: Austen

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah! I love this thing. You can keep the lane splitting. My 35 minute commute is almost all rural. It's at the mechanic already getting a tune up and repairs for the POs damage. He's an hour away, but a Ducati fanatic! It was a great ride taking it down there. The more I ride this thing the more I want to take it to a track.

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
992 Posts
Welcome aboard!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts