Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the email I just sent to DNA. I think its time we started knocking on their door. I think that if they understand the potential loss of future sales by this problem, they will make an effort to correct it.

"Hello,

I just bought a Ducati Streetfighter S. I have to say that although it is a great bike overall, I (along with many others on the internet forums) are extremely disappointed with the low end lean fueling. The bike is almost unrideable in the low RPM's (2000-4000 range.) I returned the bike to the dealer who made some adjustment but the problem is still present. This has put quite a chill on my initial impressions of this bike and the fact that Ducati would release a bike in this state. It is unsafe in slow traffic as it lurches forward between the flat spots. Please forward this to whom ever necessary. I would be very thankful for a response back. Many people that are potential buyers are reconsidering now due to discussions on this issue on the internet. I would love to be the one to report back to them that Ducati is diligently working on this problem.

Thank you."

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Better to call them during normal business hours.

408-253-0499

Have them get the factory rep to your dealer to hear your complaints and go over the bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You have my support. I just got back from 3 hours of riding unfamiliar roads and it can be rather intimidating trying to modulate the throttle through tight bends at slow speeds. If it could only be as smooth as it is above 4k rpm I'd be happy. I found myself missing the smoothness of my inline 4 I got rid of for this bike.:(

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Better to call them during normal business hours.

408-253-0499

Have them get the factory rep to your dealer to hear your complaints and go over the bike.
I will do that, thanks!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have my support. I just got back from 3 hours of riding unfamiliar roads and it can be rather intimidating trying to modulate the throttle through tight bends at slow speeds. If it could only be as smooth as it is above 4k rpm I'd be happy. I found myself missing the smoothness of my inline 4 I got rid of for this bike.:(
Please help us all out and call the above # too! Everyone needs to get on board with this. Why are we trying to figure out work arounds? This is Ducati's issue. I did not spend over $20 grand on a motorcycle to hesitate riding it because there is too much traffic at the moment!

And I feel your pain, I sold a Triumph Triple for this bike and oh was it smooth and easy to ride.......I love this bike and its near perfect but this issue is a drag and has to be fixed.

Ok getting off the soap box now......

·
Registered
26 Posts
And I feel your pain, I sold a Triumph Triple for this bike and oh was it smooth and easy to ride.......I love this bike and its near perfect but this issue is a drag and has to be fixed.

Yep.....me too......2007 S3. What a smooth motor that was.......:(

·
Registered
233 Posts
I sent an email as well. I will be sure to follow up with a phone call on Monday.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm sending my email today and will follow up with a phone call.

I think a call is fine in conjunction with a letter/email, but if you are only going to do one thing, a letter or email is the better option IMO.
Ken

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
email sent...

·
Registered
970 Posts
hopefully all of you have exhausted your options with your dealer first right ? Hate to tell you but that is how the process works. DNA isn't going to give out magic fixes in their e mail responses. There is a diagnostic procedure in place that a dealer must go through and submit to DNA which is then translated to Italy to come up with answers. There is a good chance that is what you will hear in your responses once they sort through the barrage.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Or you can skip the middleman and call Borgo Panigale directly!

011-39-051-6413111;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
hopefully all of you have exhausted your options with your dealer first right ? Hate to tell you but that is how the process works. DNA isn't going to give out magic fixes in their e mail responses. There is a diagnostic procedure in place that a dealer must go through and submit to DNA which is then translated to Italy to come up with answers. There is a good chance that is what you will hear in your responses once they sort through the barrage.
I had my bike in for the 600 mile service. They rode it, acknowledged the problem and said there is nothing they can do about it.
Ken

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
My dealer rep suggests that the DP slipons/ecu/filter package is the cure...

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
What a crock of s&^t! I rode a standard and it had no issues whatshowever!
I think they just don't know how to approach the problem and they say that in hope that it will make the problem go away!

·
Registered
96 Posts
don't fall for their BS Oahu. I have all of that and still have the problem. As Dave has suggested, I'll also try dealer for service. Originally they said it was the characteristic of L-twin and suggested I was not accustomed coming from inline 4. Who am I to argue? I rode Honda for years not an exotic brand like this.:confused:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Funny thing...

I rode the SFs demo, mind you it had the Termis, DP ECU and, hi-flow air filter. Now I rode it 20mi through stop-and-go traffic, down on-ramps, dragging knees around a cloverleaf off-ramp or two and I never experienced this flat spot phenom. Boy am I gonna be fcukin pissed if I have it on my SFs.

Could it be that Ducati tuned it out for the demo bikes? I doubt it, but who knows. The SFs I rode fueled like a dream...

·
Registered
43 Posts
+1 on BS. A sales person did this to me on an earlier bike, a 696. "Ever so much smoother with the Termis", he said. Well, the sound was better if you care. And there may be an improvement if the catalytic converter is removed. But I didn't notice much of a performance difference, but my wallet was $1300 lighter.

Also, if a streetfighter can't be ridden in traffic at low speeds, there is something wrong by definition. You shouldn't have to spend money on options to make the bike functional.

Mine doesn't surge badly, but I will put on a 14T front sprocket, which makes it smoother from the start. I almost sympathize with Ducati on this. I expect that they would use the 14T if it didn't adversely affect emissions. I find the stock pipes to be fine so far (even with the handprints).

·
Registered
65 Posts
+1 on BS. A sales person did this to me on an earlier bike, a 696. "Ever so much smoother with the Termis", he said. Well, the sound was better if you care. And there may be an improvement if the catalytic converter is removed. But I didn't notice much of a performance difference, but my wallet was $1300 lighter.

Also, if a streetfighter can't be ridden in traffic at low speeds, there is something wrong by definition. You shouldn't have to spend money on options to make the bike functional.

Mine doesn't surge badly, but I will put on a 14T front sprocket, which makes it smoother from the start. I almost sympathize with Ducati on this. I expect that they would use the 14T if it didn't adversely affect emissions. I find the stock pipes to be fine so far (even with the handprints).
I'm going with a 14t cog as well, I ordered some Rizoma grips and noticed that it came with different size cams. Might try a smaller one to see if that makes the throttle a little smoother.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The sprocket change isn't going to cure the problem. It's the tuning that is the problem, not the bike being geared to tall in 1st and 2nd gear.
Ken

1 - 20 of 47 Posts