Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
December of 2011, I binned the 1198S in the middle of a corner. Got into a fight with a squirrel, and after winning many battles, this time he won. Truth is, this was also the first time I got into a fight with one *in the middle of a corner*. There was nothing I can do but sliiiiiiiide....CATCH...and then pitch.

The bike was done. All plastics and the tank and other stuff were trashed.

The before.....

So I bought the bike back from the insurance company.

Now originally, I sold my Hayabusa. The race bike (GSXR 750) was for sale but never sold. The idea was to get one bike to do it all, for street and track days. But I ended up keeping the track bike.

However, had I known I was going to do that, I probably would have picked up a Streetfighter. Fell in love with it, but the 1198S was already in the garage.

Enter opportunity. As crappy as an opportunity it was, it gave me an idea. How hard would it be to convert a SBK into a Streetfighter?

Well, a lot harder than I thought. But I knew I was going to keep the tank/seat/tail, along with the clip-ons.

The headlight was difficult to figure out, but easy to execute. The SF has an SF-specific triple clamp that the headlight bolts too. I have offset triples that I was NOT about to give up.

The only thing I need to figure out that will be custom, is the lower front fairing. The problem here is that the lower cooler on an SF is a radiator. On a SBK its an oil cooler of a different shape. Going to the dealer to try and test fit anyway, and if it is not close, going to have a custom one molded up.

So, TODAY is the first day after 15 months (I was busy) that I finally finished and rode the bike.

The After.....

·
Señor Member
8,078 Posts
Price, haven't see you on here in a long time. I can see why, you've been busy. Quite a transformation from an SBK to an SF. Nice work.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's been a while. Haven't been on the boards much. Finished school, life happens. But finally back on my Ducati, as it has been way way too long.

Besides the front lower, I'll probably get some Woodcraft clip-ons, maybe a 1 1/2 raise to make it a little more comfortable.

Rode the bike today. Nearly forgot how damn fast it is with all that torque. Been on I4's all year at the track.

·
Temporary greeter
23,068 Posts
I will take close-up shots later today. But FlyinBulldog, yes, thats exactly why i still need a custom front lower; to hide the ecu and gyro looking hardware.
So are you planning to put the battery, ECU and stuff behind the lower cowl? I think it gets pretty hot behind there.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wonway, no just the ecu. The battery has a cf T cover and is exposed. Doesnt look bad. But the cowl will come up to the bottom of the battery tray and the bottom of the cf belt cover on the right side.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
272 Posts
Looks great!

I have a 999S that I've thought about doing the same thing, turning it into a SF style. I need to take a hard look at making this happen. I am also thinking about selling the 999S (I'm original owner) then pick up a used SF... That would be a lot easier and quick. I don't want any long term down time...

I would like to hear what was hardest to do in your conversion. I still have all my fairings but would hate to take a saw to them unless I knew exactly what it would look like after I were done. I have done paint and body work, and can do a lot of fabrication, except for heavy duty welding.

How much mechanical/electrical stuff did you have to redo, refit, or redesign?
Who's headlight did you use?

Here is what the left side looks like on mine... I would move the battery and ECU.

Thanks!

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem. I will take very close up pics when i get home. The headlight/dashboard was obviously the most headache to figure out, but the solution we came up with was surprisingly simple.

No hacking anything! But i will post up a build post on this thread so you can all see.

And hey, any suggestions are welcome.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
984 Posts
Cool bike! Looking forward to seeing more photos of it. :)

Like this one? Best money spent on my SF.
Oh man that's hot. :yeah: You should start a new thread with more pics and info on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts