Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try the quiet clutch mod. I just want to try it, 50/50 I'll switch it back, back but just want to try it for shits and giggles. I know...I might have too much time on my hands. Regardless...

I pop in to the dealer whom I patronize for parts from time to time as I do a fair amount of my own work on my bikes, and ask (very nicely) if they have and could spare 1 or 2 old friction plates. He says they have plenty around but can't give me or even sell me one "cause...uh... wouldn't be fair...." what? ..."uh...liability...you know"... what? ....I thank him for the parts I ordered and leave...surprised really as they are usually pretty laid back.

Whatever....anywhooo...any of you mates have one or two old plates laying around that I can talk you into donating or selling to me? Don't need a whole set just 1 or 2 frictions...

Cheers...

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
...He says they have plenty around but can't give me or even sell me one "cause...uh... wouldn't be fair...." what? ..."uh...liability...you know"... what? ....I thank him for the parts I ordered and leave...surprised really as they are usually pretty laid back...
Unfortunately that is a sign of the times dude. Litigation or fear of litigation drives so much of how we function as a society these days. Pitiful.

I work for an engineering software company and am unable to discuss ANY futures whatsoever, as if even one customer made a purchasing decision based on my comments we would be vulnerable to a lawsuit if that customer felt he/she was misled in any way. It sucks, but it's the way things are...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Unfortunately that is a sign of the times dude. Litigation or fear of litigation drives so much of how we function as a society these days. Pitiful.

I work for an engineering software company and am unable to discuss ANY futures whatsoever, as if even one customer made a purchasing decision based on my comments we would be vulnerable to a lawsuit if that customer felt he/she was misled in any way. It sucks, but it's the way things are...
... in the USA.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Sad. Any other dealers nearby?
I quit going to the dealer where I purchased my bike.
+1 I stopped going to the dealer after a few visits to the parts counter...

BUT the sales guys are always nice for some reason.........

Some people act like they don't have the time of day even when you are trying to give them your money.

Maybe eventually the message will get back to DNA, but I have had no problem getting parts mailed right to my doorstep for even cheaper than my "dealer".

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ignatius, I had the quiet mod on my S2R1000. It definitely does what it advertises - kills the rattle in neutral while retaining the cool noise when you pull in the clutch. However, it takes away a bit of the shift feel - I couldn't put my finger on it, but shifts weren't as crisp or effortless or precise as pre-quiet mod.

Anyway, if you do want to do the mod, you don't really need spare friction plates. If your friction plates are newish, you have enough stack thickness to just flip the order of the plates. Start with a friction plate (or two? I can't remember) and then alternate steel/friction as you would and it does the job. I did what you did and gathered the spare friction plates, but didn't have to use them.

Hope this helps!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
My dealer is being a bit of a douche...
Cut them some slack. There are multiple reasons they can't/shouldn't do this. It's unfortunate, but so is the legal system. Also, while it's nice to get a "freebie" once in a while, why do you feel entitled? Someone is a douche if they don't accommodate you?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ignatius, I had the quiet mod on my S2R1000. It definitely does what it advertises - kills the rattle in neutral while retaining the cool noise when you pull in the clutch. However, it takes away a bit of the shift feel - I couldn't put my finger on it, but shifts weren't as crisp or effortless or precise as pre-quiet mod.

Anyway, if you do want to do the mod, you don't really need spare friction plates. If your friction plates are newish, you have enough stack thickness to just flip the order of the plates. Start with a friction plate (or two? I can't remember) and then alternate steel/friction as you would and it does the job. I did what you did and gathered the spare friction plates, but didn't have to use them.

Hope this helps!
Can you (or anyone else) give a link to this mod/ how to article?

Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
well here in ks we had a dealer that were complete ass holes.
I got new tires and a couple of there things and they were cool about it. Then my bike started acting up and the ecu went bad they told me it would cost me 1600 to fix. I ask is there a cheaper way like a reman ecu or anything and we got in a huge fight thought he was going to hit me and turns out the owner was there and didnt come back to see whats wrong. they told me to take my bike and go to another shop. so i did and love the new place cheaper and do good work

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I want to try the quiet clutch mod. I just want to try it, 50/50 I'll switch it back, back but just want to try it for shits and giggles. I know...I might have too much time on my hands. Regardless...

I pop in to the dealer whom I patronize for parts from time to time as I do a fair amount of my own work on my bikes, and ask (very nicely) if they have and could spare 1 or 2 old friction plates. He says they have plenty around but can't give me or even sell me one "cause...uh... wouldn't be fair...." what? ..."uh...liability...you know"... what? ....I thank him for the parts I ordered and leave...surprised really as they are usually pretty laid back.

Whatever....anywhooo...any of you mates have one or two old plates laying around that I can talk you into donating or selling to me? Don't need a whole set just 1 or 2 frictions...

Cheers...
Yep, if the guys got some old plates laying around waiting to be thrown away, he's a dick. Take your money somewhere else. PM me with your address and I'll send you a couple.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cut them some slack. There are multiple reasons they can't/shouldn't do this. It's unfortunate, but so is the legal system. Also, while it's nice to get a "freebie" once in a while, why do you feel entitled? Someone is a douche if they don't accommodate you?
I was sure I'd get one of "you" to post a response. What part of offering to BUY old discarded parts seems like an entitlement attitude to you? :rolleyes:

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I had great results with my slipper adding 2 convex metal plates. For some reason I had a hard time finding individual plates here in the US, so I had a friend bring a few home from Europe. They worked very well and smoothed out engagement.
Also try rubbing lithium grease into each friction plate, then removing the grease with a cloth. The leftover grease smooths out the clutch too...this also works very well too.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had great results with my slipper adding 2 convex metal plates. For some reason I had a hard time finding individual plates here in the US, so I had a friend bring a few home from Europe. They worked very well and smoothed out engagement.
Also try rubbing lithium grease into each friction plate, then removing the grease with a cloth. The leftover grease smooths out the clutch too...this also works very well too.....
Great idea thanks for the tip. I've heard of good results in general with the lithium grease. Cheers...

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
I was sure I'd get one of "you" to post a response. What part of offering to BUY old discarded parts seems like an entitlement attitude to you? :rolleyes:
The part where you label them "douches" because they can't sell you used parts because of liability laws. It's your congressmen, lawyers, and juries you should be labelling instead.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Do you need metal or alum? Just promise not to sue me.. :) I have a number of them laying around....

Just watch your stack height, I ran into a really weird situation that caused intermintant problems with the slave cylinder... made it feel like I had air in my lines, you would have to pump the clutch lever really fast to get it to dissengage. Anyways, it didnt happen all the time so it was almost impossible for me to pin down. Ended up being my clutch height. Even though the system worked right most of the time, just being off by a little caused it to act really funny.

I think some people on this site steered me into the right direction to fix the problem, I had replaced the entire lever system trying to track down the issue.
This was on a 996

1 - 20 of 20 Posts