Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

New to the forum. Just finished my 45/57mm (2.250in) half system utilizing RC51 Yoshimura RS-3 Titanium Race Mufflers...just for the fun of it

Will get it dynoed soon but there are real improvements (calibibrated seat of pants indicator) which even surprised me a bit given some negative comments I have read about other half systems and loss of low end. This pulls harder with no holes anywhere in the rpm band.

Bike has FIM chip and rear gear.

See pics ..Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes..

Yes, Thanks. I just like to do things myself. Next will be an Aluminum Biposto sub frame...when I have time

A good friend had the mufflers lying around and gave them to me to try this. I needed a trial-by-fire project to practice TIG welding and this was it.

Glad I did it too. It really seemed to wake it up over my previous setup which consisted of stock cored mufflers with my own slotted straight tube packed with two different grades of Stainless steel wool.

It has intense throttle response now. I just wish it would quit raining so I can get some more seat time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
so you made the midpipe yourself? NICE JOB!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
nice welding...I personally don't like the fact of the way they turn at one another out of the end personally....but that is me...and I hope you are going to fab something to keep from frying your foot while it is on the peg....and did you compress the rear suspension completely to make sure you have the clearance needed with those pipes?.....otherwise...looks nice...I look forward to hearing about what the Dyno provides as far as results and so forth!....a sound clip would be nice also!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Welcome!

That's a very nice creative job. The pipes look great... although I am going to go with Zooom here and say that the outlets would (probably) look better if they are just straight-out rather than facing each other.... otherwise great job!

I will guess that the sound is like a TLR with double Yosh pipes (plus dry-clutch) ... if it is, then that's a very nice sound indeed!

Looks like you got the makings of an exhaust manufacturer!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks..more

I bought 180deg U-bends in 304 Stainless, some straight pipe, went at it. Pipe is more expensive to buy than I had hoped.

I have some good and some not so good welds on the system. Like I said trial by fire. The worst being within and around the "collector" as I have named it, where the 45mm merges to the 57mm. Here I MIG welded a bit too. That was more difficult than I thought and I had it in my head to redo parts if I liked it. With that said, internally I paid close attention to grind smooth the backsides of the collector portion. I wanted the exhaust gas inertia to work in my favor since I knew velocity would fall as the system volume opened up within the 57mm piping. So the collector pipes are merged tightly, welded, and knife edged internally. In case your wondering, I bought another stock midpipe to hack for this project. It gave me an easy way to connect to the 45mm stock pipes even if I only needed two inches! I am pretty happy with the welding most everywhere else though and the stock system will bolt right back on at any time.

As for the Tips...Yes, I tossed it around in my head if I liked it that way. Sometimes I still do at certain angles. I tried it pointing out and it really looked strange. Pointing straight back would be more normal. I'll sit on it for a while since I do like that the angles flow with the bodywork...

I actually expected other comments about the brand I guess. Probably not a commercially viable system for that reason.

Sound..It sounds meaner but more tonally civilized (maybe!) is the only way I can describe it. My old system was more raspy and metallic so it isn't a good comparison.

It sounds wayyy deeper, more big bike sounding. Still a Duc though in a major way (open clutch cover too). The quick revving is what gets me. It starts to sound nasty! I am wishing I had a Nichols flywheel right now since that would just add to the fun.

I also spent alot of time studying other exhausts and their allowed clearance for that pipe that crosses over the tire.

With me on the bike it has plenty but I need to put a passenger on it and see how it works. Trying to get 2 1/4" pipe high and tight was harder than I thought especially since I didn't want to 'cheat' (grind a staight at an angle which reduces crossection) the pipe diameter in certain sections. I need too make a heat shield too. Time to try my hand with Carbon Fiber I guess. I have some experience here too but for entirely different industrial applications.

All in all it has been fun and yet now the fun has just begun.

Thanks for the comments. I will post the dyno numbers. I am real curious myself....sometime soon

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More...

Oh yah, I forgot about the sound files. My cam doesn't pick up how deep these sound. The clutch overpowered it on the camera but not how it sounds in reality.

Can I post vid files here? It will pick up how it sound off idle which is nice.

I actually wanted to use realy thin wall Stainless tube, like .035" but at the time I started I couldn't get the tube size in that. I settled for stock which varies from .045-.049" not bad considering normal car exhaust is .065" in stainless and real heavy. All the pipes weigh just over 5lbs and the mufflers 4lbs each. There are fewer slip connections so less springs too. I will weigh the old system and post those numbers but I know the midpipe alone was 4 lbs and I had already saved 10 lbs over stock when I re-did my old mufflers. They were surprisingly close to the Yoshi's in weight.

I will clean up our shipping scale and drive the bike up on that and weigh the thing whole ('Wet' as they say).

·
Banned
344 Posts
I actually prefer the tips facing each other. Props for taking a chance on it. It's strange seeing Yoshi on a Duc but I'm open minded....if it looks good on the Dyno, then I like it! The Yoshi pipes have a nice finish on them and look pretty good. :yeah:

·
Premium Member
8,756 Posts
I had a Yosh full system on my 600RR. I must admit, the triangle shaped rear can was awesome looking. The performance from the mod coupled with a PC was beyond belief, the bike absolutely ripped after 7K rpm and the sound was fantastic as well. It would be great to if Yosh made a system for the Duc, but I think it will take a while to get used to the logo, but as SPS said, if it looks good on a dyno... Uh, one other thing, the full system cost me $800. (Please, no comments on supply/demand)

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Yosh

You got skills...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!

Thanks...nice to hear that.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
section8superbike said:
Nice work, you da man.
Now that is high praise, Mike, from the people who know nice work when they see it. :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow...

Wow! You are right Rob. That is really cool.

Funny how I was on their site the other day check'in things out and today I get high praise...Nice!

Thank You Section8...you made my day.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Very nice work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts