Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told the dealer that sometimes when I'm coming out from a full stop I hear things grinding noise and it sounds like *Warnk warnk warnk* they told me it was the dry clutch and it was my fault.

I've tried supplying less rpm/more rpm but it still seems to be pretty random. Any tips?

It seems to happen more frequently when the bike has been running for a while.

·
Registered
953 Posts
You are low on oil. The oil is not reaching your dry clutch and properly lubricating.

:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are low on oil. The oil is not reaching your dry clutch and properly lubricating.

:)
Are you serious? You smiled afterwards so I can't tell :|

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
Seriously, a dry clutch is just that, no lubrication is necessary. When starting up a hill from a stop, my two ST4s-es made groaning sounds from the clutch due to their high factory gearing. A switch from the 38T OEM rear sprocket to a 42T rear sprocket eliminated that. You might ask what size rear sprocket owners of similar Monsters are using.

·
Registered
209 Posts
dry clutches must use dry lube. otherwise, the quiet clutch mod is rumored to remove the off the line growl. seemed to have worked on my st2 so there is a sample of 1.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seriously, a dry clutch is just that, no lubrication is necessary. When starting up a hill from a stop, my two ST4s-es made groaning sounds from the clutch due to their high factory gearing. A switch from the 38T OEM rear sprocket to a 42T rear sprocket eliminated that. You might ask what size rear sprocket owners of similar Monsters are using.
Thanks Bill I appreciate the advice, I was worried I was doing something horribly wrong or bad to the bike. This just started happenign recently, I guess it's because I feel more comfortable with the bike I'm pushing off the line harder.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dry clutches must use dry lube. otherwise, the quiet clutch mod is rumored to remove the off the line growl. seemed to have worked on my st2 so there is a sample of 1.
The way the mechanic described it to me I was grinding the plates together and damaging the plate. Does the quiet clutch mod stop the noise or fix the problem?

Would a slipper clutch fix this as well?

·
Registered
209 Posts
try the search feature for more opinions. i can state my st2 had a loud clutch [5k miles] when i took the oem clutch down to do the mod i found the tangs were over limit, .023" allowed vs .037", and it did quiet things down. i just changed the clutch to a new barnett pack and paulimoto pressure plate today with the same mod. it is also quiet as one might expect. less noise would seem to indicate less racking between the basket and friction plates. just my 02.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
try the search feature for more opinions. i can state my st2 had a loud clutch [5k miles] when i took the oem clutch down to do the mod i found the tangs were over limit, .023" allowed vs .037", and it did quiet things down. i just changed the clutch to a new barnett pack and paulimoto pressure plate today with the same mod. it is also quiet as one might expect. less noise would seem to indicate less racking between the basket and friction plates. just my 02.
That is interesting.

Now when you say your clutch is loud, do you mean ALL the time? I am only experiencing this problem when I am starting from a stop, the rest of the time my clutch makes no grinding noises at all.

·
Registered
209 Posts
yes loud, because mine was outside tolerance limits it was loud all the time but it also had a habit of growling getting off the line. while the tangs were worn there was no clutch slipping, so the friction material was still in good shape. the growl could be rocking between the plates, which the mod would also tend dampen. i strongly suggest you do a full search on the topic, as i stated my st2 is only a sample of 1.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Mine does it like fingernails on a chalkboard, kitchen chair across the floor, but lower in tone. Nothing to do with the clutch basket/plate tangs, all about dry plates at the friction point.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
It's normal dry clutch behavior. Much like brake dust causes brakes to squeal, clutch dust will do the same to your clutch. Pull the pach and clean with brake cleaner. Also, some plates, namely Barnett, tend to sqeal more (from my own experience). Ducati OEM and Surflex seem to be much less prone to squealing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's normal dry clutch behavior. Much like brake dust causes brakes to squeal, clutch dust will do the same to your clutch. Pull the pach and clean with brake cleaner. Also, some plates, namely Barnett, tend to sqeal more (from my own experience). Ducati OEM and Surflex seem to be much less prone to squealing.
Thanks for the tip! Is the dust buildup happening from normal useage? I'm asking because I don't have an aftermarket cover so my clutch is only exposed to its own elements. Brakes and such I thought got their dust from the environment.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
As with brake dust, clutch dust is from normal useage. It is the friction material slowly wearing away.

·
Registered
369 Posts
They can slip if they get glazed and it sounds like shit. Run her hard for a while, and dont slip the clutch from start more than necessary; ie dont go for a smooth RPM steady start. Let the revs drop down and give her hell.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts