Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I've offended you and that was NOT my intention, not to mention I do believe I said was GLAD it worked out for you!, so not sure why your so bent , the point was the odds of getting quality anything from china are slim these days, post was for those who may not know in attempt to save there hard earned $

If you'd bothered to read the thread from start to finish you'd know there are good vendors and bad ones for these fairings and I've more than once pointed people to the bloke who supplied mine, that's was the whole point of the thread.

Don't believe this forum is the place for your blanket China bashing.
My Makita drill is made in China as are many other quality products I own.
Take it somewhere else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been browsing the aftermarket fairings for sale online and have noticed that regardless of what models the sellers say that they fit, none are moulded to match the later 748 and 998.

Does anyone know of a vendor that has the proper mould for the newer bikes? I don't want to install the earlier 916-style side panels with the huge vents carved into the trailing edges when my bike originally came with the smooth style fairings.

These are the smooth versions that I am referring to:

:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
What are you after? Plastic, carbon, fiberglass? There are several, non-Chinese sellers that offer these fairings in one piece carbon or fiberglass. Most are nicer looking and lighter one piece construction. You have to paint, however. I have a lower quality (as in not the very nice Sharkskinz stuff) fiberglass set on my bike. They could use a better paint job, but are otherwise very nice and also pretty lightweight.

Unless you're looking for OEM replica plastic, the slab sided fairings are readily available.

Just two of several examples.
Sharkskinz - 748/998
Ducati 748, 916, 996, 998 series

Much of the 998 style aftermarket stuff is cut to be used with a belly pan, 996R/998R style. Looks pretty nice with a pan, but it is something else to buy if you go that route.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This thread caught my eye not sure why
maybe its because chinese and ducati do not belong in the same sentence, let alone chinese on a " MASSIMO TAMBURINI" design
ducati bandana's now come from, you guessed it china and cant even get a bandana right
sorry for rant, glad it worked out sounds like you got very lucky
I completely disagree!
China DOES make very high quality stuff. I work in China now at a factory and yes there are some vendors who do cheap stuff but there are also lots of high end ones.

If you pay close attention that nowadays majority of stuff is "Made in China"!
If you just bought an iPhone 6...guess what...it was "Made in China" and Apple was okay with that.

So you're wrong!

·
Registered
129 Posts
From this bloke.
wing576 AT yahoo.com.hk
I still haven't looked up your supplier.
Put some more effort & money into the one I bought. Couldn't use the nose fairing as it split when trying to fit,, it is just too small.
Had to re paint the Red on the tail as it was almost Orange,,,
Anyways this is it,, & IT is was IT is

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was hesitant to purchase the eBay Chinese fairings, but this thread has set most of my worries at ease.

However, I have a 2006 BiPosto 999 and eBay lists three nearly identical auctions. Different sellers but with nearly identical layouts. But different prices? Anybody have any idea what the differences are? I can't make any out!

HPS ABS Injection Mold Unpainted Bodywork Fairing for Ducati 999 749 2005 2006 B | eBay

Sto ABS Injection Mold Unpainted Bodywork Fairing for Ducati 999 749 2005 2006 B | eBay

8mi ABS Injection Mold Unpainted Bodywork Fairing For DUCATI 999 749 2005 2006 B

Is this a thing that is common?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was hesitant to purchase the eBay Chinese fairings, but this thread has set most of my worries at ease.

However, I have a 2006 BiPosto 999 and eBay lists three nearly identical auctions. Different sellers but with nearly identical layouts. But different prices? Anybody have any idea what the differences are? I can't make any out!

HPS ABS Injection Mold Unpainted Bodywork Fairing for Ducati 999 749 2005 2006 B | eBay

Sto ABS Injection Mold Unpainted Bodywork Fairing for Ducati 999 749 2005 2006 B | eBay

8mi ABS Injection Mold Unpainted Bodywork Fairing For DUCATI 999 749 2005 2006 B

Is this a thing that is common?
If you look at this logically you'll find that there's probably no difference between the 3.
They're all using the same advert.
They probably buy the kits from the same supplier.
As for the 8Mi , Sto & HPS ,, it doesn't mean a thing. If you look closely you'll find that these are the first three letters of the sellers name.
So what you need to decide on is who you want to buy from & that is the "Lucky Dip".
Good Luck:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you look at this logically you'll find that there's probably no difference between the 3.
They're all using the same advert.
They probably buy the kits from the same supplier.
As for the 8Mi , Sto & HPS ,, it doesn't mean a thing. If you look closely you'll find that these are the first three letters of the sellers name.
So what you need to decide on is who you want to buy from & that is the "Lucky Dip".
Good Luck:)
Cool, thanks for corroborating what I was thinking.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not trying to dis the plastics, they look great. But with my experience, the only way to truly gauge the quality is to low-side the bike and see how the plastic endures the impact and grinding of the asphalt.

I had a set from China almost 10-years ago on an older bike, had an accident and the plastic shattered off the bike like glass. OEM plastics on the other hand don't really break, the hold together and get rashed.

If the vendor in China would do some crash testing on the plastics I'm sure there would be less skepticism regarding the quality of their product.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
This is getting really boring to be honest.
If you want to go around low siding your bikes to test fairings then go ahead... be our crash test dummy.

My fairings have been on there for four and a half years now and still look perfect and original but my oem ones are safely bubble wrapped and boxed up.
The whole idea of fitting these Chinese ones was for them to be sacrificial to preserve the originals and for $450 for the whole set delivered, painted and logo'd was more than a bargain

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is getting really boring to be honest.
If you want to go around low siding your bikes to test fairings then go ahead... be our crash test dummy.

My fairings have been on there for four and a half years now and still look perfect and original but my oem ones are safely bubble wrapped and boxed up.
The whole idea of fitting these Chinese ones was for them to be sacrificial to preserve the originals and for $450 for the whole set delivered, painted and logo'd was more than a bargain
+100 :D

Great value, decent fit. What's not to like???

EDIT: I paid even less for unpainted panels, had to prep them a little but got them painted for not very much and totally happy with the whole thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Great thread Davy.j!

Does anyone know who the reputable sellers are now? I emailed [email protected] but got no answer.

I'd like to get a set for my 748, for my son to use. The various eBay sellers all have about the same feedback. Not sure who to buy from.

Interestingly, these are available on Amazon now. Should definitely help in finding the better sellers, due to the way feedback is tracked (feedback on Amazon is sorted by product, not by seller). Unfortunately, as of yet none of the sellers have any feedback.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Motorcycle Fairings - Aftermarket Fairings - Fairing Kit is decent stuff.

When I crashed my 1198 I got a set of Xerox plastics from them and they were actually pretty nice. Little issue with heat in one spot where the distance between the header pipe is like 0.5", but other than that, they were good. I removed a small section of plastic, it was underneath so you really couldn't tell, and put heat shield on the rest and it was fine.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just got my XEROX bodywork kit from China for my 996.... $390.00 delivered!!!!! Only had to slightly modify one mounting hole. Pretty sweet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just got my XEROX bodywork kit from China for my 996.... $390.00 delivered!!!!! Only had to slightly modify one mounting hole. Pretty sweet.
u

Glad to hear it worked out well. Where did you buy, and what seller?

·
Registered
437 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
+1 for chinese fairings. I bought these for my 999R race bike, my design they just painted and cleared them. They arrived very well packaged and for $499 I'm very happy. I haven't put them on yet so will post up some photos when I do.
I got them from here Fribest Industry Molding Factory - motorcycle fairings,motorcycle headlight
They look good. I contacted a few of the chinese places in the past, years ago and they said they dont make them stock with no holes (race) but would fill them back in for me and then paint over. I was a bit reluctant thinking it isnt a single mold , but was filled in holes for the lights. Also the belly pan not being single piece for some places sucked.

I see yours are solid race. Did you have to ask for that? Any specific details ?

oh and $499 yes, but they seem to want another $300+ to ship. Damnnn

·
Registered
839 Posts
u

Glad to hear it worked out well. Where did you buy, and what seller?
eBay seller classiccoolparts..... Pretty happy with the product. Do eBay search for "Ducati race bodywork kit". That gets a really good result for sellers....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a set from China almost 10-years ago on an older bike, had an accident and the plastic shattered off the bike like glass. OEM plastics on the other hand don't really break, the hold together and get rashed.
I have a lot of experience sourcing items from China and your experience doesn't surprise me at all. A buddy of mine told me he was buying one of those cheap Chinese quads a few years back and I told him everything that would be wrong with it before he bought it. He bought it anyway, and sure enough, everything I guessed at was spot on.

The plastics on the bike don't fold or bend, they break. The kick starter lever was not forged it was cast. It broke right away. You can gain a lot of insights into a culture that is primarily based on copying as opposed to one that created a product. The former does not understand any of the design criteria required, the latter does.

It was a very long time ago that the automotive industry learned that in a crash a woman can exert so much pressure on a brake pedal that they could bend it. When that occurred it was a real revelation. The result? Forged steel brake pedals and amazement that the human body can exert that much pressure.

Contrast that to the Chinese quad's cast steel kick starter. Or the plastics. They don't understand that proper plastic manufacturing in that application requires the plastic to bend and not break. They don't understand the stress requirements on the kickstarter. It's just money see, monkey do :smile2:

On the other hand, I recall clearly when Hyundai came on the scene as I owned a shop at that time and had to work on them. Junk, pure junk. Thing is, like most cultures, starting something new (to them), they improved a great deal. It's a maturation process.

I've thought about this quite a bit. I personally don't like apologists for China for various reasons. But, when I look at the big picture I think that what it comes down to is a global 'leveling off'.

The West has been a first world country, so to speak, of the highest order for a long time. China has been a third world country for a very long time. The difference between the two was too great. We were too high and they were too low. Personally, I think what's happening is that the standard of living is starting to balance out on a global scale. We are decreasing and they are increasing. We've had it too good and they've had it too bad. Hopefully, it will all result in a nice and even balance and everyone will get along. On the other hand, pigs might fly too! :)

Of course, that's without even considering the planet-wide wholesale intellectual property theft that has played such a key role in China's rise...or our endorsement of it.

Having said that, I know of 4 CBR 600's that got 'good' Chinese body kits and they looked sharp. I personally installed one (not the one I would have chosen) and it worked. I think it's reasonable expectations for reasonable people.

161 - 180 of 203 Posts