Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Whole point is, go price a set of oem plastics for daily street use then go price a set of sacrificial ebay ones and do the sums.

Reactions: PumpinIron

·
Registered
437 Posts
They look good. I contacted a few of the chinese places in the past, years ago and they said they dont make them stock with no holes (race) but would fill them back in for me and then paint over. I was a bit reluctant thinking it isnt a single mold , but was filled in holes for the lights. Also the belly pan not being single piece for some places sucked.

I see yours are solid race. Did you have to ask for that? Any specific details ?

oh and $499 yes, but they seem to want another $300+ to ship. Damnnn
Yes I had to ask specifically for race fairings, told them that the bellypan needs to hold any escaping fluids from the engine.
Wow postage seems excessive, I think mine was about $100 although that was last year.

·
Registered
81 Posts
13 posts... keep it up.

The title of this long running and mostly positive thread is "My Chinese fairings.. the story so far"

I bought some Chines fairings four years ago and have a really good experience with them so reported it here and I don't feel I have to defend that decision to either you or Mad Dog.

So if you want to be negative about it then why open the bloody thread in the first place.
Hi, Im considering pulling the trigger and after reading through this thread, I have question.

Have you dropped the bike since the install and if so, did they hold up?

Best,

Daniel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, Im considering pulling the trigger and after reading through this thread, I have question.

Have you dropped the bike since the install and if so, did they hold up?

Best,

Daniel
The previous owner of my 996 low sided at about 70kph. Cracked the tail cowl & broke a couple of pieces off the edge of the right lower fairing near the clutch. The rest were just scratched, probably could have been repaired but hardly worth it considering an entire blank kit costs $300. Easier to bin them & buy a new kit. They're cheaper than insurance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The previous owner of my 996 low sided at about 70kph. Cracked the tail cowl & broke a couple of pieces off the edge of the right lower fairing near the clutch. The rest were just scratched, probably could have been repaired but hardly worth it considering an entire blank kit costs $300. Easier to bin them & buy a new kit. They're cheaper than insurance.
I ask since it seems the oem fairings are better quality and actually meant to support the bikes vital components in the event it tipping over (at the very least) whereas, the Chinese plastics offer little to no protection of the aforementioned components.

Im shopping around..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ask since it seems the oem fairings are better quality and actually meant to support the bikes vital components in the event it tipping over (at the very least) whereas, the Chinese plastics offer little to no protection of the aforementioned components.

Im shopping around..
Nikkii posted a thread titled "A Bad day" where she posted photos of the damage to her bike.

·
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
If you drop the bike then the paint damage alone will cost ore than a complete set of aftermarket plastics.
Thinking any plastics will protect your bike in a crash is a pipe dream.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Davy, is there a source for 998 Chinese fairings or something I could make work with my carbon belly pan?

Craig

·
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I don't know Craig as Wing isn't answering emails now.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I don't know Craig as Wing isn't answering emails now.
I'll get in contact with 'The Rigger', he may have another contact for Wing, I know that's who he uses for his 999.

Craig

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here's my story to add to this list.

I bought a set of Xerox livery fairings from Classiccoolparts on FleaBay. $365 as I recall. They came sooner than promised, and packed decently. This was the set I bought:

Opening the box, quality wasn't too bad. A few flaws, nothing terrible:

The kit came with fasteners, but they weren't Dzus and weren't even aluminum, just chrome plated steel:

I didn't like the cheesy smoked screen the kit came with, and I have a stack of LP screens; they didn't fit, however. Might be a problem with the LP stuff, as much as with the Chinese fairings:

Even their windscreen wasn't a good fit, some re-drilling was necessary:

Where the panels joined wasn't a good fit, either. Wouldn't fit over the Dzus clip without some grinding:

The stuff is a bit of a pig to fit; I needed several different length Dzus fasteners (OEM, aftermarket stock, aftermarket race glass lengths) in order to get the parts to fit properly. They don't fall into place like the stock panels do.

On the other hand, when Jr drops this, I'm not likely to kill him, either! Overall, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

Michael

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I wouldn't lump 'all' the Chinese suppliers into the one boat, quality does vary, Mr Wing has a very good product, but I don't think he advertises on Ebay anymore.

Craig

·
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Craig, if you do get a line on him pm me with his contact details.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Craig, if you do get a line on him pm me with his contact details.
Davy, I will be updating the forum with my "Wing" kit. I have already documented some of the differences in my OEM kit and Wing's kit. I was not very happy with the way the nose fit onto the bike, took some stretching and forcing. I haven't even bothered with the tail piece because it is going to need some obvious modifications to fit (or I will just sell it and have my OEM piece re-sprayed since I work at a resto-mod shop). The front fender fit like OEM, very happy there. I'll update with I get the rest of the kit on.

I will shoot you Wing's e-mail address right now through a PM, just in case he doesn't want it all over the place and easily searchable.

Harry

·
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Thanks for that but it's the one I already have.. might try again.
I found the nose cone a little tight as you did but a few minutes work with a heat gun and it slipped right on.
The seat I had to move a few holes a little and it fitted fine.
After all these years in the harsh Aussie sun they still look as good as new.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for that but it's the one I already have.. might try again.
I found the nose cone a little tight as you did but a few minutes work with a heat gun and it slipped right on.
The seat I had to move a few holes a little and it fitted fine.
After all these years in the harsh Aussie sun they still look as good as new.
What did you do about the tail light mounting bracket? The four bolt holes on my new tail are off plane.

·
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Can't specifically remember but I would either have adjusted them, drilled new ones or fitted a 1.6mm alloy plate under them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thought I'd update this with a surprising find on my fairings.

Classiccoolparts on Fleabay, a year of limited use, mostly garaged, 900 miles on the bike since these fairings were fitted. Jr's commuter bike, spends 2 days a week parked outside at the local college, weather permitting.

I had the fairings off to change the radiator, and was surprised by the discoloration of the paint! I hadn't noticed any change of the bike, it was only on taking the mirrors off that it was obvious:

And my favorite:

Still very happy with these fairings, given the price. Despite what an incredible pig they are to fit. But I am worried. Due to the paint fade, if Jr doesn't hurry up and crash these in the next year or 2, people will begin to think it's a puke green Kawasaki from the early 90's!

Reactions: Tobytyke
181 - 200 of 203 Posts