Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Large box arrived at the post office a few days ago.
Cardboard box, internally braced with timber framing for support, chock a block full of foam sheet & bubble wrap to protect the goods.

Inside was a full set of red plastics for the 748.
Colour... absolutely perfect match.
Finish... excellent.
Fit... well I'm working my way through the box piece by piece, but so far very good.
The front bib is perfect but has no screw holes for the mesh, but no problem there, silicone or neoprene will do that job.
Had to drill 2 holes for dzus clips on the rh upper side panel and the top & bottom joining seam needs 2 extra holes drilled each side.
The underpan join overlap piece is not there so I will need to fix that but the holes for the dzus clips are there!

That's as far as I've gone so far but will finish the job over the next week.
Overall impressions are bloody good, the fairing halves are indistinguishable from the originals on the bike except for the decal which is different.
Will add more as the job goes along.

Ok.. made the bellypan joiner for the fairing halves.
I used a piece of 3mm alloy, 40mm wide x 225mm long and bolted it to the RH side with 3 x 5mm x 10mm button head s/s socket screws (same as I used for the side panel joints )
Drilled the holes for the dzus clips and it all fits perfect ( probably stronger than my original which I have already repaired once with glass fibre )

Attachments

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I noticed that the replica kits have been removed from eBay. I came across a little bit of money and was thinking of buying a spare set.

Edit - A few days ago there wasn't a single replica kit, but I just checked, again, and saw 15 748/916/996 kits from a company in Hong Kong. I probably need to pick up a red tank. They almost never have any decent kits for a yellow bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Davy - J, looks good, I must admit all the email correspondance with the guy had been first class, very quick reponse and always willing to help ( have changed my mind a couple of time abotu options and he has always sent through a picture to confirm my latest thoughts) haven't ordered a set for the 996 yet but will definitely do so, I might chat to him about the decal size and give him measurements as well, it seems they print them up so its likely they just got the font size wrong, good to hear that its fitting up well, for about $500AUS delivered I dont think we can really complain too much, its a good deal for a full set of skins painted and decaled to order, keep us posted on how the rest of it goes. I take it the seat fitted up no hasles at all

·
Registered
114 Posts
I take it your kit came with the screen, it looks like a tall screen compared to the original, could be just the photo angle though, is it different?

·
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bad font/logo would drive me absolutely crazy, but the colour does look spot on.
I take it your kit came with the screen, it looks like a tall screen compared to the original, could be just the photo angle though, is it different?

Font is fine, just bigger than the one on my bike.
I should have sent a photo of exactly what mine is like, my fault.
I quite like it though, it gives the bike presence.

The screen is the one that came with my bike. I didn't realise the guy sold screens till last night when I ordered a couple.
His screens are a nice shape (same as the one on my mito) and a good price. No idea how they compare to others for price but I was happy to buy.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DUCATI-916-748-996-998-SMOKED-WINDSCREEN-WINDSHIELD-/110580210452?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19bf181b14

He responds to emails almost instantly for product enquiries but doesn't list his Ducati fairings on ebay.
I have no affiliation with this seller.

Haven't fitted the seat yet but initial measurements look fine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looks nice davy-j! Can you post a pict of the front nose cone so we can see how the headlight fits? Thanks.

·
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is the only one I have till tomorrow & it's got the protector on it.
The fit there is a bit tight but works ok.
To be honest if I had some touch up paint I would be tempted to chamfer the aperture slightly on the inside to ease the fit.
I think after it has sat in the sun for a few hours everything will stress relieve itself and fit really well as it takes up it's new shape on the bike.

I'm happy, I have a full set of new plastics that look as good as the originals for about the cost of re-finishing just one or two panels.
They are on average 0.5mm ( @ 20 thou ) thinner than the originals & are noticably lighter.
They fitted well after a bit of drilling & adjusting the mounting holes.
With the stock ones all safely bubble wrapped in the box the new panels came in I feel far more relaxed about riding the bike the way it's meant to be ridden

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I will be interested to hear how this fairing holds up to heat, especially down by the horizontal pipe. Some friends have had melt-problems with Chinese fairings on their 4-cyl bikes.

Let us know.

·
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be interested to hear how this fairing holds up to heat, especially down by the horizontal pipe. Some friends have had melt-problems with Chinese fairings on their 4-cyl bikes.

Let us know.
Question

What are you doing with your oem plastics?

I rode the bike at 200kph + yesterday several times to get some heat into her & idled till the fan came on, no visible heat issues near the pipe.
Ambient temp was 28*C (82.4*F)
I duplicated all the padding & heat shielding from the originals on the new ones & they seem made of identical material to oem (red paint, white plastic inside) so I'm optimistic.

I packed & stored the oem with all my other oem parts, clutch, clip ons, chain guard, thermostat & hoses, 38t sprocket, rear strut, mufflers & pipes etc so I have everything original in case the world ends & I have to do the unthinkable & get divorced from this gorgeous red bitch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey bike looks great I also have the c word body work on my 748 and I am very happy with the fit and the paint color is a great match.

·
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey bike looks great I also have the c word body work on my 748 and I am very happy with the fit and the paint color is a great match.

Might have to start a "Chincati" club :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
+1 on the Chinese fairings...I just put a set of black xerox replicas on my 749 track bike and I'm actually really impressed...I've heard so many horror stories on them melting / flying off at high speeds etc but mine are a great fit and quality... for the $$$ you can't beat em!

·
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only reason they are gonna fly off at high speed is if their not fitted properly.
I pushed my bike up to 200kph+ purely to see if the 70 series Power Pure front tyre would grow radially & contact the new front mudguard.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with the Chinese fairings I bought too, they are cracking in a few places a little but structurally not a problem. also the red is a little too orange on the ones I got

·
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think all the really good ones are coming from the same supplier.
He has got the moulds and paint codes right.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts