Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys Im not very mechanically inclined so im wonder what this could be.

Last night I was riding home my 01' 748 and taking a turn 4 blocks from my house the bike without any signs just shut off and my little red oil light lit up. The bike will not start and that dreaded red light keeps staring at me and I dont like it!

So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks Everyone

·
Administrator
12,428 Posts
First I think you don't have to worry about the oil light, it will usually come on anytime the engine is not running and the electrical is turned on. Now speaking of electrical (assuming you haven't ran out of gas), I would bet you do have an electrical problem somewhere. Hopefully one of the site guru's here can tell you where to start checking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there is gas in there and the bike seems competely normal and when i press the starter everything seems fine it'll make the noise and all the good stuff but the engine wont turn on it tries to but it wont

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
how to push/bump start? it can be done by yourself very easily, but is easier with another person.
if alone put the bike in 2nd gear turn the ignition on and the run switch on like you would on a normal start. then hold the clutch in and start running with the bike building momentum as you go. (if you have a down hill or driveway that helps) then after enough momentum, enough for the bike to be stable when you hop on it, about 7-10 miles per hour, jump on and pop the clutch, then it should turn over.

if someone helps you, just get on the bike, put it in 2nd while holding the clutch in. then have the person behind push and build momentum and at the fore mentioned speed pop the clutch.

if a bump/push start doesn't work, say so that the problem you're having can be narrowed down.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
you should check fuel pressure and also make sure that your spark plugs are getting fire.
When you turn the key on to you hear something Humming in the take??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I hear the fuel bump and everything is completely normal i hit the button and it does its little trying to turn on engine sounds but it just never turns over completely. Bump starting it didnt work either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would first check for spark.
Get a pair of spare plugs, pull the leads and fit the spare plugs.
Rest them against the engine block where you can see them and crank the engine looking to see if there is any spark.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
There could be multiple things that could cause what you described. This can help narrow it down.

1-How many miles on the bike?
2-How many miles and months since the last service and did they change belts?
3-Any service or modifications recently?
4-Has the bike been sitting for a long period?
5-How old is the battery?
6-When the bike died, did it shut off quitely or make a loud racket?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 7600
2 - Full service was performed at 6,000 miles Belts were changed
3 - About 1,000 or so miles ago Slip-ons were installed.
4 - The bike had not been sitting for a long period of time I was coming home from a 50 mile or so ride and had to push it for the last mile :)
5 - Battery was replaced when the 6,000 mile service was done.
6 - The bike shut off quietly the same way it would if you were to just hit the kill switch.

Synergy said:
There could be multiple things that could cause what you described. This can help narrow it down.

1-How many miles on the bike?
2-How many miles and months since the last service and did they change belts?
3-Any service or modifications recently?
4-Has the bike been sitting for a long period?
5-How old is the battery?
6-When the bike died, did it shut off quitely or make a loud racket?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Someone answer this guys question please...

I am having the same sort of problem.

Good Luck man.

Hopefully we'll be riding soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
M3joky8 said:
Someone answer this guys question please...

I am having the same sort of problem.

Good Luck man.

Hopefully we'll be riding soon.
Check the spark! Check the spark!

The battery's obviously OK because it's cranking over.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Like idb said check your spark. Since you say your not mechaninally inclined. here is what you do. Do it on either cylinder. Horizontal means pulling the tank and airbox. Horizontal just pull the fairings and "V" piece
-Get your tool kit from under the seat
-Pull the boot off the plug, may be snug, pull the boot, not the wire. May help to use some pliers to grab the boot just dont squeeze to hard to damage the rubber.
-Now use the sparkplug tool (in your tool kit) and pull a plug (righty tighty, lefty loosy. Meaning Clockwise is tight, Counterclockwise is loose)
-Put the plug back into the boot, make sure its nice and snug, you can feel when it connects.
-Now hold the boot (make sure you are holding the rubber boot not the plug) against a part of the head (be able to see the gap from the electrode)
-While holding the plug against the motor (whats called grounding)
-Try to start the bike while looking at the plug. You are looking for a spark between the electrode.

If no spark you have a problem with your charging system. Could be a coil, alternator, plug or plug wire. We can help you diagnose it, or just take it to your dealer.

A little background on how your charging system works

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system.htm

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Did you check the spark? If there's no spark it doesn't mean that the plug necessarily bad.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Definitely not battery related or it wouldn't continue to crank while depressing the starter button. Although, if you continue to unsuccessfully try to start it during all this trouble shooting, you will run the battery down. So, if you have access to a battery charger, I strongly recommend putting it on after periods of troubleshooting. If not, you might solve the original problem and not know it because you killed the battery in the meantime.

It sounds to me like everything else is working just fine, but something is preventing the bike from actually starting even when cranking successfully. This tells me it's lack of either fuel or spark. There might be some safety thing preventing fire. Although on Ducs, I believe the kill switch and sidestand switch prevent it from turning over at all, right? But perhaps some other similar kind of safety mechanism is malfunctioning and cutting spark? Sorry, that's not much help for where to troubleshoot, but it's a possiblity as you reason your way through the options. So, first step is to eliminate lack of spark as a possibility. Check for spark as directed above.

If spark is OK, then that leaves lack of fuel as the likely culprit. You said you hear the fuel pump priming. When you pull the plug to check for spark, smell for excessive gasoline. If it's been dumping fuel into the chamber but not igniting for whatever reason, the plug will likely be wet and there will be a strong smell of gas as it evaporates out of the plug hole. If you've been cranking and cranking and nothing smells like gas when you open it up, then you aren't getting go juice in there for some reason. Check for blocked/kinked fuel hoses. Especially if you've had the tank and or airbox off recently. Anyone know if there is a separate fuse or electrical circuit for the injection system than the fuel pump? Beyond that, I'm out of advice. If your fuel pump has failed for some reason (don't know if that's possible when you still hear it), or something in the fuel injection system is blocked, that would qualify for dealer repair at my house.

See if that gets you anywhere and let us know what you find. Best of luck!

·
Registered
284 Posts
muff915, Give chris a call at 954-608-0350 and he'll get it running for you. He's owns Moto-Corse performance in ft.lauderdale, and is a total Ducati nut, as well as being a master mechanic.

·
Administrator
12,428 Posts
And please follow up and let us know what went wrong so others have a future reference ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also just got back from a 30 Mile ride and a 3 block push. It just quit at a Light.
It has a new 2 week old battery and it did cranked like crazy. The red oil light was burning bright (Cause motor was off I am sure), still sent a chill down my back. I am guessing something with the fuel pump but will take my 2010 Streetfighter in for "warranty work".
I was at idol when it shut down and there was NO symptoms of any problems before the "Incident"
I will post what the dealership finds out was the problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts