Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have developed a terrible leak after switching from synthetic to regular oil from the rear cylinder base gasket area. Sucker didn't leak a drop until I changed it. The reason I switched was because of clutch slippage at full throttle when hot. Well, it didn't help at all. I checked the head stud nuts and they are TIGHT. How do I fix this and is there a write-up showing how? Not good having a rear tire oiler. Kinda reduces my confidence in the corners...

Thanks!

:eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
snap a picture of the engine case in front of the crankcase breather. we want to see if you have a base gasket leak or not. If the pockets in the engine case right in front of the breather are full there is a good chance it is the base gasket. If there is no oil there then it should be an easy fix. By the fact the right side of the tire is covered with oil (correct?) it may be the base.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad base gasket seal.
What year is the bike?
displacement?

You will need to take the frame off to fix it as the vertical head/cylinder needs to come off and be re-sealed. they used to use an o-ring and early 2000 they eliminated it and used a red gasket sealant that did not work well. I machine a o-ring pocket back in and use Ducatibond and they are fixed for good.

Well this will be something you need to keep a close eye on as you noticed it is a high pressure oil leak not a weep. The feed to the top of the head is whats leaking. clean it well and make sure it is the base before doing anything as you do not want to go there if it is somethings like a cam seal.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I'll be watching this with interest as I'm seeing some of the same pooling behind the rear cylinder. Not enough to blow back onto my tire though, and no obvious source either. The engine is consuming roughly 1 QT per 1000 miles but no obvious lingering blue smoke that I've ever seen. Lots of blow by oil grime on the leading edges of the lower case though, and the pooling I already mentioned. I suppose I should check torque on the head bolts to begin with?

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Wouldn't hurt. It will rule out a broken stud. They claim the base shim can be reused. Don't.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
2001 doesn't have an o-ring. remove the engine (lift the bike off it) and pull the cylinder. as eric says, machining a recess in the cylinder so you can use the old gasket and an o-ring is the best way out of it. apply goop to gasket, not the orange crap that goes hard. there's no other way to fix it apart from pulling the engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang. That is a lot of work. I know that is the proper repair but I am going to try and buy some time. On my ZX-10R the valve cover leaked so bad it was spraying oil on my gauges and the inside of the windshield. I wiped up all the oil with paper towels, brake cleaned the area and sprayed Permatex Spray Sealant along the edge. It fixed it permanently. So now I am trying it on the base gasket. It is drying right now. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the spray sealer stopped about 90% of the leak. Nothing on the tire or down the back of the engine like before. Just a tiny puddle between two fins. Cleaning it off and trying one more time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts