Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some pics of the parts I've attempted. This comprises over three months of research and experimentation......I've got a long way to go!!
BTW- you can check my unfinished website for my trials and tribulations...
https://sites.google.com/site/tricklidzsm/

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
are these just covers or replacement parts? just curious to which process you decided to take, they look to be molds of the out side of the original part but not sure .. anyhow just curious as they seam to be a big less defined than the original and there may be a fix for that but I'm not sure what exactly you have done there..

·
2001 996R
329 Posts
Hi Steve,

Great project / hobby, all the best with getting the clutch cover done.

By the way, your 999 is the best looking I have ever seen, great photos on your blog!

Cheers,

Harry.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are these just covers or replacement parts? just curious to which process you decided to take, they look to be molds of the out side of the original part but not sure .. anyhow just curious as they seam to be a big less defined than the original and there may be a fix for that but I'm not sure what exactly you have done there..
They are replacement parts made from fiberglass molds of the outside of the part (female mold). Vacuum bagging process. Those parts are very "epoxy rich" because of my attempt at repairing mistakes. One cover is even kevlar reinforced. These will be used for the trackbike, so I'm not worried about perfection (here, anyway)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Steve,

Great project / hobby, all the best with getting the clutch cover done.

By the way, your 999 is the best looking I have ever seen, great photos on your blog!

Cheers,

Harry.
Thanks Harry- the trackbike doesn't look quite so nice now- I crashed- but will be all ready next season- maybe even different paint scheme...

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Let me tell you...you did a great job for a 1st effort. This is an extremely difficult process. Heck even my 999's CF hugger made by MS Productions had pin holes in it when held up to the light....and IMO they are the best no doubt. My Shift-Tech fender has some minor imperfections....and Guido is very careful about what he sells. CF parts are made to be light/strong, not purdy!
I would be very pleased if I were you.....I'm dam impressed!
JEFF

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,526 Posts
Looks good, effort = reward :)

I did some carbon for the first time on my Daytona project bike and got great results even with hand layup with no vacuum bagging.
I also used tinted epoxy on the seat and tank as the finished job was going to be all black anyway but the front mudguard came up well in natural before it got painted.
No different from ordinary fiberglass work if you take your time and be fussy about getting air bubbles out the gell coat and first layer (I use a heat gun on low)
Good luck with your next batch, you've done all the hard work making the moulds.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Yes the half cover that I bought years ago from Ducati is basically transparent, my goal is to do better. The guy giving me advice (BLACK OPS Auto Works) tells me the seceret to success is the perfect mold- that I'll be able to pull hundreds of parts from. And even though that is not my immediate goal, it's what I'm striving for!!
So I'm going to keep at it until I get to that point.
This kind of encouragement will keep me going, along with my perseverance....
I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Here's some pics of the parts I've attempted. This comprises over three months of research and experimentation......I've got a long way to go!!
BTW- you can check my unfinished website for my trials and tribulations...
https://sites.google.com/site/tricklidzsm/
Really nice work! Can you please help me with a small carbron bracket to support the rear brake line http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/152695-help-need-small-carbon-bracket.html

Thanks!
Regards Dennie

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,526 Posts
Good job guys.

davy.j, those parts are pretty impressive even if you don't take the DIY factor in to account!
Thanks for those kind words Matt,.. it's all reward for effort.
Not trying to hijack this thread, just show how much work has to go into making a carbon part from scratch, how much effort tricklidz is putting in and why they are worth every penny.
...Start by making a model of your part...

Then make a mould from the models...

And then you can start producing your part...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I want to start making one off parts, like that Davy. What did you use to make the plug for the tank, etc? What for molds, fiberglass? What's the black coating in the mold?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts