Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since my season is over for rideing, I am in the process of fixing what her previous owner has messed up.
Here is a few pics of when I got her.
She had been down a few times (new rider and his first bike ever).
The previous owner purchased one of those cheap ebay ABS plastic body kit.
I will tell you stress cracks are everywhere on the plastics.
Fortunately he stayed up on all of the maint at 4 different dealers and it took me 2 months to gather all of the proof of the maint. records.
No issues with the frame , suspension, engine or electronics.
She rides like she was new, and needs new clothes.
Here is my build thread.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New carbon fiber tail section.
Aftermarket and very very good quality part. Yes I did order it from ebay for 231.00 free shipping.
I painted and prepped all of the parts myself for this tail section.

Sorry for all of my lousy pics and the quality. I spend my extra cash on this bike as opposed to a good camera lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My custom exhaust from the heads on back.
She is at the fab shop currently getting all of my peices I have cut and sectioned being TIG welded and finalized.
It is hard for me to show both of the tail pipes until they are finalized and completely mounted on the bike.
I will show more pics when I get the bike back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another picture of the new tail section mounted on the bike.
I removed the lame 999 stickers I initialy had placed on the rear most of the tail.
I felt it took away from the lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
My custom exhaust from the heads on back.
She is at the fab shop currently getting all of my peices I have cut and sectioned being TIG welded and finalized.
It is hard for me to show both of the tail pipes until they are finalized and completely mounted on the bike.
I will show more pics when I get the bike back.
Ha, I found the tread :)
Sweet things you have going on.
I was considering to built a new exhaust like this for my Suzuki track bike, but cancelled it as I want to sell her.
Must be an awsome sound if this is ready.
Keep posting, and indeed save some money for a good camera:D

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the encouragement.
I am going to try and get some video with sound of the final result of the exhaust.
Its very gp sounding, people ask me if its a V-4. Even the Harley guys smile when I pull up to the lights and they cant hear their own pipes.
It's very very loud however, Im worried about noise violation citations.
I might build a baffle insert.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I saw your first pic, and my reaction was...nice paint job...but do I tell the guy the 999 decal is not working on the back. Then I scrolled down and saw your got that sorted. The tail looks great. I am use to seeing termi or other larger exhaust cans..so that looks different.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement.
I am going to try and get some video with sound of the final result of the exhaust.
Its very gp sounding, people ask me if its a V-4. Even the Harley guys smile when I pull up to the lights and they cant hear their own pipes.
It's very very loud however, Im worried about noise violation citations.
I might build a baffle insert.
What did you do with regards to adjustment of mixture? Anything?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did you do with regards to adjustment of mixture? Anything?
I am running a custom map on the PC3 which was close but not exactly the same as the full termig. 57mm map from their website for the 03 bike.
We found that map to be to rich on both heads between 2k -4k rpm at 25 -50% throttle.
The rear head has a more modified map compared to the front and is a bit richer overall by comparision.
I wrote my own map for my suzuki with Nitrous a while back and figured I would give this bike a shot.
I only saw about 4-5 hp increase with the stock air filter and no other power mods.
Im going to take her to EDR here locally in a few weeks and see if he can do any better than I did for a map.
These guys tuned the first LEO Vince exhaust fitted to the 848 when it came out, so they know Ducati's a little bit.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Exhaust is done

I got my pipes finished a few weeks back, but to busy to find me a camera until now.
Let me know what everyone thinks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I forgot to mention, the nose cowl fairing I purchased damaged from a guy that wrecked his fila edition bike out here at the track about 4 months ago.
He sold it to me fo 60 bucks US and I did the CF repairs and used a little bit of extra resin and sanded it down flush. Found a graphics shop to measure the old breil and shel logos on the front, painted it red and layed the stickers on and cleared over the top with 6 coats of PPG clear and 2% red opaiq pearl for a little fun in the sun.
You can only see the red pearl over the white front number plate near the head lamps on indirect sunlight.
Since the rest of the bike is mostly red, or CF I figured it will mess with peoples head a tad.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today is busy for my parts supplier

I just recieved my 14 tooth front sproket, new plugs, and a new smoked double bubble wind screen.
Looks like Ill be busy this weekend.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nice work. Are you going to change the clutch pressure plate and springs? U can see from the close ups that the springs are quire rusty already.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
great work on the exhaust... however... I believe the pipes are hanging a little low compared to the tail section.... I think that if possible it should tuck under the tail a little more closely. How much did that run you by the way?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
great work on the exhaust... however... I believe the pipes are hanging a little low compared to the tail section.... I think that if possible it should tuck under the tail a little more closely. How much did that run you by the way?
Well I purchased the cans from a manufactuer on ebay. new for 150 bucks plus 25 bucks shipping. The pipes that were welded to the new cans I cut and sectioned myself here at home, I used 404 stainless and I had a good friend of mine welded all the peices together for 200 bucks as a favor and then I heat wrapped the pipes.
You have a good eye about the tail section, given that this tail section doesnt quite fit the bike 100% due to it being aftermarket and hand made, It sits a bit high on the rear frame/ old seat support. I am planning on building my own tail lights and turn signals out of LED's and some clear lexan plastic, a few resistors and Diodes. I will post pictures when I start that project. I am planning to mount this in between the rear most frame rail and the tail section.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice work. Are you going to change the clutch pressure plate and springs? U can see from the close ups that the springs are quire rusty already.
I should, it had'nt really occured to me till you mentioned it.
I had noticed the rusted springs, been there since I got the bike. I don't ride it in the rain, but I suppose the previous owner did.

What would be the benifit of changing out the pressure plate at this point?
The clutch was rebuilt 2 years ago and about 3k miles into the clock on the bike according to my maint. records.
I might just pull it all apart and scrub off the rust and shoot a fresh coat of high temp black paint on them....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What would be the benifit of changing out the pressure plate at this point?
The clutch was rebuilt 2 years ago and about 3k miles into the clock on the bike according to my maint. records.
I might just pull it all apart and scrub off the rust and shoot a fresh coat of high temp black paint on them....
You're right. With that kind of cover it's rather useless to spend 100+ euros/dollars in a piece of metal that doesn't really show up(unless you really want to). I think new paint does the same job, but those springs cost next to nothing so they are worth renewing, I guess.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I ended up buying a 04 smoked integrated tail light for the cbr 1000rr and mounted it under my tail.
I also installed a few small super bright LED's to assist with the tail light and brake light visability.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts